Washington DC - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Washington DC

Moderator: Football Moderators

Washington DC

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:08 pm

Hello Cafe friends!

I'm heading out to Washington DC Monday morning for business. I don't have to be at work until Tuesday, so I have Monday afternoon to myself.

I'm staying in Pentagon City and plan to take the Metro over to the National Mall.

Anybody familiar with the area have some insight on what to see and do (other than the obvious White House, capitol, etc.). This will be my first time to go to DC, so I plan on fitting in as much as I can in the short time I have. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Washington DC

Postby SniperShot » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:48 pm

Hey D.C sweet. I'll give you the rundown of my personal favorites...

I would recommend getting off at the Smithsonian metro stop and you're right on the National Mall and @ all the Smithsonian museums. You're also very near the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial. Getting into the Monument is tricky- you need a ticket and usually they fill up for most of the day during the morning. So if you're not gonna get there until the afternoon don't expect to get up inside the Monument. Lincoln Memorial is easy and pretty cool, another really cool thing is seeing the Declaration of Independence. Go to the National Archives to see that, that's easy quick place to check out and you'll feel like your in National Treasure or something... the Declaration is really awesome you can see original signatures of the founding fathers and everything- definitely one of my favorites.

American Natural History is a good museum and part of the Smithsonian, I also personally find the Art museum to be pretty cool but that's gotta be your thing.

Another cool museum is the spy museum but you gotta pay like 20 bucks just to get in which is cruddy.

The holocaust museum is very very good but you have to be in the right mood to check it out, can be quite sobering... that museum is off 14th street which is to the left of the monument if your walking towards the monument from the Smithsonian metro stop. They have tourist maps you can take @ the metro too I believe which tell you how to get to all the different main museums.

Hmm that's probably about it there are TONS and TONS of museums, some I haven't even been to and I live 30 minutes from D.C. I tell everyone to see the Declaration though. It really makes me proud to be an American when I see the ACTUAL document the founding fathers actually signed... Always gives me goosebumps.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:43 pm

Sniper mentioned most of the stuff. Check out the Jefferson Memorial if you have time; it's out of the way but is pretty cool IMO. Same deal with the FDR memorial; it's across the lake from Jefferson. Most of the war memorials are near the Lincoln Memorial as well; WWII is across the reflecting pool from it (a much longer walk than it seems, by the way), and Korea is off to the side (very cool, something I want to try to see in the winter). Not exactly sure where Vietnam is, but I think it's close by.

If you're eating at a restaurant downtown, they're expensive but, for the most part, excellent. Georgetown is another place that has a lot of restaurant options and you can go down near the Potomac if you want.

You definitely won't be able to see everything Sniper and I mentioned in one afternoon/night, so just make sure to prioritize. Personally, I'd make sure to hit up the war memorials near the Lincoln though, especially WWII and Korea, but if you're more of a museum type of guy, spend your time there instead.

Have fun. ;-D
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby SniperShot » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:47 pm

Oh yeah the war memorials are amazing as well. The Vietnam War Wall Memorial is really nice. Every single name of those who gave their life are on the wall.... People are always bringing things/flowers there and things for lost family members/loved ones, I've talked to lots of interesting people there.

But yeah, you have an afternoon and the things mentioned so far could take like a week lol.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:41 pm

I would definitely try and check out the War Memorials. The Korean war memorial is pretty cool.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:56 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I got off at the Smithsonian stop, hit up the castle, then walked pretty much the entire national mall hitting a couple quick stops along the way (air and space, art, etc.). Then I walked to the National Archive which was probably my favorite thing I did (thanks Sniper), the National History Museum (very good), the Washington Monument (I still could've gotten a ticket at 5, but didn't want to take the time to go up right then. Still wanted to see some other stuff and was getting ready to get back), saw the WWII memorial, Lincoln Memorial, then walked back to the Federal Triangle Metro stop and headed back. Overall, a great experience. Wish I had 2 or three days, but still cool. I think I walked about 6 miles though. Uggggh.... in bad shoes. never again! LOL

Overall, a great time. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk