2010 Michigan Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to College Football

2010 Michigan Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

2010 Michigan Thread

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:24 pm

Figured I would be active here this season.

I read last year's thread and it is apparent that most people don't get it. Any delusional fan that thought we would be even above .500 last season is almost as stupid as any fan that thinks Michigan football is in trouble. Rodriguez inherited arguably the most untalented team in Michigan history last season. Losing two NFL recievers and your all time leaders in passing and rushing will do that to you. It was known around campus for a while that Carr was going to leave, and it was assuredly a disappointment that Miles didn't take over, given his strong connection to the program. Combine this with the aforementioned losses and I think going with a guy like Rodriguez was as good a move that could be made. He's succeeded at every program he's been in and turned West Virginia into a perennial Big East powerhouse that nearly contended for a couple national titles. Also, unlike Nebraska and Notre Dame, they weren't stupid enough to import an NFL coach into a college one. It's going to take a while to recover, but the pieces (Gardner :-L ) are starting to be put in place. This season should be better but will likely be a disappointment to anybody expecting anything better than 7-5.
Last edited by AquaMan2342 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 267
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lions

Re: 2009 Michigan Thread

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:42 pm

Well having all these non-voluntary activities accounting for too much time talks certainly doesn't help the team this time of year. Hopefully it doesn't end up being a big deal, I can't imagine anyone signs up to be a college football player and only plans to work out 20 hours a week.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 3118
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Miami University (OH)

Re: 2009 Michigan Thread

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:59 pm

i agree with Aqua (although i was at least hoping to make a bowl last year...i'm also a little upset Rich Rod didnt tailor his game to the players he had but instead decided to stick square pegs in round holes)...anyway, i again have the same 7-5 bowl game hopes but my expectations are again tempered...next year there will be NO EXCUSES though. still...i just have a bad feeling that Rich Rod has really set this program back...i'm starting to wonder if this practice time thing is a conspiracy by the Old Blues or Michigan Mafia or whatever you want to call them to get rid of him before he really has a chance
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 7054
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: being a fan of the worst franchise in the NFL

Re: 2009 Michigan Thread

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i agree with Aqua (although i was at least hoping to make a bowl last year...i'm also a little upset Rich Rod didnt tailor his game to the players he had but instead decided to stick square pegs in round holes)...anyway, i again have the same 7-5 bowl game hopes but my expectations are again tempered...next year there will be NO EXCUSES though. still...i just have a bad feeling that Rich Rod has really set this program back...i'm starting to wonder if this practice time thing is a conspiracy by the Old Blues or Michigan Mafia or whatever you want to call them to get rid of him before he really has a chance


I Agree that he should have done a better job tailoring his gameplan initially to the guys that were there and then move towards what he really wants as he can get guys that fit his system. I think the problem is he is not able to recruit those kinds of guys. I, like many others, grew up thinking of Michigan as a smash mouth pound the rock kind of football which is so different from the spread that Rich Rod wants to play. I think it is so new and different kids aren't buying in and are skeptical, just as I would be. I expect there to be improvements this year or Rich may be in some hot water, even though in order to implement what he wants requires a few years.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 3118
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Miami University (OH)

Re: 2009 Michigan Thread

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:49 pm

Rich Rod has always come in and blown up a team and forces things until he gets his own guys. That is a failing on his end as a coach IMO. Meyer came into UF and did not have the guys needed to run his system, but he tailored his system to the players and won a championship. That is coaching.

As far as the old UM trying to get rid of him, I think that is exactly the case. RichRod rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and made a good amount of enemies. The fact that HIS players came out against him is pretty telling. The school is now investigating him and I have to believe they are getting pressure from alumni that do not like him. I think he is a great coach and can turn the program around if given time. With that said, I still don't like him personally for some of the things he has done in the past.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: 2009 Michigan Thread

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:34 am

Rich Rod has always come in and blown up a team and forces things until he gets his own guys. That is a failing on his end as a coach IMO. Meyer came into UF and did not have the guys needed to run his system, but he tailored his system to the players and won a championship. That is coaching.


Apples and oranges. I'd be interested to see the last time a major college program lost as much production as the 2008 Michigan team did. I forgot we also lost Jake Long, who was the FIRST PICK in the NFL Draft. Given when he was hired, he had practically no time to recruit any of the major quarterbacks outside of Pryor, and that was only because he delayed his decision so many times. Funny to think one recruit that was basically 50/50 going into decision day would probably change everybody's opinion on the state of Michigan football.

As far as the old UM trying to get rid of him, I think that is exactly the case. RichRod rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and made a good amount of enemies. The fact that HIS players came out against him is pretty telling. The school is now investigating him and I have to believe they are getting pressure from alumni that do not like him. I think he is a great coach and can turn the program around if given time. With that said, I still don't like him personally for some of the things he has done in the past.


I realize you wrote this shortly after the allegations, so I assume you have sifted through the MSM garbage and found the facts. Nobody on the team "came out against him" lol. Unless you consider former player Toney Clemons, who also complained about playing time earlier in his career as turning against him, then you would be correct. However, based on Clemons's reputation when he was here in AA, I wasn't surprised to see his name in the Freep article. Heck, they probably sought him out. There's a laundry list of legal activities according to the NCAA that don't fall under what they call "countable hours". Not one time in the original article by Rosenberg does he even contemplate the possibility that the activities in question fall into this category.
Image

Also, a quote from one of the parents of the players "who came out against him":
"My wife [Juanita] and I talk to Je'Ron every day. We follow him through the internet, by phone, and we've been up there on a couple of occasions," he said. "We spent an entire Thursday through Monday up there, and I'd see guys voluntarily go into that weight room on Sunday and Saturday and put in extra work.

"I know [the allegations] are not true, because I know how [strength coach] Mike Barwis cares for these kids. He's taken my son to bible study and to church. These are the kinds of things that impress us about the program and Rich Rod and his staff. They are good people, and I hate the fact that every negative thing put out there brings the wrong perception to the Michigan program.


Sorry if it seems like overkill but I'm really tired of the misinformation that fills the MSM. There's a ton more info out there that really seems like this is more of a witch-hunt of Rodriguez and the program than anything else. Suffice to say I am looking forward to today's game.
Image
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 267
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lions

Re: 2009 Michigan Thread

Postby RWLongy4 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:54 pm

haha I like the pic of the red "countable" search. :-b I think bouncing back from this and having a solid season could solidify his place as the Michigan head coach for at least a few more years. I mean your right he stepped in with 0 time to recruit "his guys" and was in a year where talent was not abundant and then tried to implement a new system. Not a good combo. I like what Rich Rod could bring to Mich in the long run and hopefully bring the Big 10 back to competitiveness in bowl games.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 3118
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Miami University (OH)

Re: 2009 Michigan Thread

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:22 pm

The comparison may have been Apples to Oranges because the Gators had talent, but the fact remains that everywhere RR has gone he blew up the team first, and then redid it his way. I am not saying there is anything wrong with it because he gets the job done. My point was that this always happens, but most don't know that because they didn't watch RR from Tulane until now.

Yes, I did post that before doing some research into the full story. His players didn't come out against him on this issue, but that still doesn't mean the allegations aren't true. I don't think anything will come of it honestly, and I think most teams are violating the rule. I still think there are alumni and former players that don't want to see him there, but I think he will have success and they will be drowned out.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: 2009 Michigan Thread

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:42 am

deerayfan072 wrote:The comparison may have been Apples to Oranges because the Gators had talent, but the fact remains that everywhere RR has gone he blew up the team first, and then redid it his way. I am not saying there is anything wrong with it because he gets the job done. My point was that this always happens, but most don't know that because they didn't watch RR from Tulane until now.

Yes, I did post that before doing some research into the full story. His players didn't come out against him on this issue, but that still doesn't mean the allegations aren't true. I don't think anything will come of it honestly, and I think most teams are violating the rule. I still think there are alumni and former players that don't want to see him there, but I think he will have success and they will be drowned out.


Deeray, there was no team to blow up lol. Carr retired when he did because I think even he knew he wouldn't win with what was left. Mallett left after Rod took over, but was already maligned because of some off the field stuff (Carr was not a fan of him at all apparently), so the fact that he left was never really a surprise either. Right now, they have 90 freshman/sophomores on their roster. He really had to rebuild from the ground up.
Image
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 267
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lions

Re: 2009 Michigan Thread

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:56 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:The comparison may have been Apples to Oranges because the Gators had talent, but the fact remains that everywhere RR has gone he blew up the team first, and then redid it his way. I am not saying there is anything wrong with it because he gets the job done. My point was that this always happens, but most don't know that because they didn't watch RR from Tulane until now.

Yes, I did post that before doing some research into the full story. His players didn't come out against him on this issue, but that still doesn't mean the allegations aren't true. I don't think anything will come of it honestly, and I think most teams are violating the rule. I still think there are alumni and former players that don't want to see him there, but I think he will have success and they will be drowned out.


Deeray, there was no team to blow up lol. Carr retired when he did because I think even he knew he wouldn't win with what was left. Mallett left after Rod took over, but was already maligned because of some off the field stuff (Carr was not a fan of him at all apparently), so the fact that he left was never really a surprise either. Right now, they have 90 freshman/sophomores on their roster. He really had to rebuild from the ground up.


Last season could have been better if he would have adjusted his offense to use the guys he had, he didn't. He tried to fit square pegs in round holes. Would they have only lost 2 games? No, but they would have won more than 3. IMO, if Carr was still there they would have won more than 3 because they had the guys to fit that system of play. That is my complaint, in his first year he tries to fit what he has into his system, rather than adjusting for one year and then moving on.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Next

Return to College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 8:10 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact