2010 Michigan Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2010 Michigan Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2010 Michigan Thread

Postby Metroid » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:45 am

lol at thinking Harbaugh might have actually attended a banquet in Ann Arbor when he's got probably got a BCS bowl game to prepare for. You all know that I'm highly skeptical that Michigan even has an outside chance at luring away Harbaugh, it's possible, but I doubt it. That said, there is no way in hell he was going to attend that banquet either way. Harbaugh is a smart guy and attending a banquet this time of the year, at a major university that is obviously courting you, does not send a good message to your current employer and most of all your current players. I don't care if it is your alma mater, that's just not something you do. I realize this banquet was to honor the entire 85 team, but there will be plenty of time after the bowl season to hold banquets just to woo Harbaugh.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:44 am

Last Updated: November 29. 2010 3:12PM
Angelique S. Chengelis: Monday Morning Quarterback
Son: U-M or not, Jim Harbaugh will make right call

The Harbaughs dubbed it the father-son bowl. In reality, it was a 38-0 thrashing of Oregon State by Stanford.

But it also just so happened Jim Harbaugh is the Stanford coach -- whose name has been bandied about in recent weeks regarding a number of coaching possibilities -- and his son, Jay Harbaugh, a 21-year-old student assistant at Oregon State. A few days ago, the Oregonian wrote about the Harbaughs, and Jay was asked about the growing speculation his father, the former Michigan quarterback, would return to coach his alma mater should Rich Rodriguez be fired.

Jay Harbaugh was told about ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit's comments last week to a Florida radio station that if Rodriguez is fired, "within 24 hours Jim Harbaugh will be announced as Michigan's coach."

"Just to get a buzz going," Harbaugh told the Oregonian.

Harbaugh said his father, who has led Stanford to an 11-1 mark, will make the right call. "(And do) what's best for him, and the family," he said.

Jim Harbaugh joked with reporters before the game that his son, who works for Oregon State coach Mike Riley, had not let him forget Oregon State's 38-28 victory over Stanford a year ago. "Jay has not learned to be magnanimous," Jim Harbaugh told the San Jose Mercury News. "He has not acquired that quality. Jay had bragging rights, and he did not pull any punches in the offseason."

http://www.detnews.com/article/20101129 ... right-call
Last edited by stomperrob on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:45 am

Metroid wrote:lol at thinking Harbaugh might have actually attended a banquet in Ann Arbor when he's got probably got a BCS bowl game to prepare for. You all know that I'm highly skeptical that Michigan even has an outside chance at luring away Harbaugh, it's possible, but I doubt it. That said, there is no way in hell he was going to attend that banquet either way. Harbaugh is a smart guy and attending a banquet this time of the year, at a major university that is obviously courting you, does not send a good message to your current employer and most of all your current players. I don't care if it is your alma mater, that's just not something you do. I realize this banquet was to honor the entire 85 team, but there will be plenty of time after the bowl season to hold banquets just to woo Harbaugh.

Seriously, take off your Pac-10 colored glasses lol.....the Michigan job is miles better than the Stanford one and I don't know where you get this assumption that he's just going to turn it down no questions asked. You're probably unaware of the weight his name continues to carry in Ann Arbor (even without the coaching press), but it's massive. Remember when Les Miles was going to be our next coach (which I believe would have happened if Herbstreit hadn't prematurely reported it)? Harbaugh is ten times more revered than Miles and IF Rodriguez is fired all the stops will be pulled to bring him in. I'm sure I posted this thought before.....but the chance to not only return to an alma mater where you're basically a legend but to do it in a situation that you could make yourself responsible for a return to domination would put him alongside guys like Bo, the man who used to watch Harbaugh play touch football as a kid in the Big House and also across the street when he played for AA Pioneer. Tradition is everything at Michigan and he's a big part of that. Stanford's only tradition is as a bottom-feeder in the Pac-10. One big year doesn't change that. Harbaugh knows this. He also knows he leads a veteran laden team with a star QB (among others) who won't be there next year. Going to Ann Arbor he'd inherit the game's most exciting (and one of its best) player. The only thing that keeps him from Ann Arbor (provided Rodriguez is fired) is if the NFL comes calling, which they easily could given the success his brother is having in Baltimore.

Also, FWIW, Harbaugh had committed to attending the banquet until yesterday and honoring the 85 team was something that had been planned for a long time, given it's the 25th anniversary of arguably Bo's best team. Had absolutely nothing to do with trying to woo anyone.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:32 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Metroid wrote:lol at thinking Harbaugh might have actually attended a banquet in Ann Arbor when he's got probably got a BCS bowl game to prepare for. You all know that I'm highly skeptical that Michigan even has an outside chance at luring away Harbaugh, it's possible, but I doubt it. That said, there is no way in hell he was going to attend that banquet either way. Harbaugh is a smart guy and attending a banquet this time of the year, at a major university that is obviously courting you, does not send a good message to your current employer and most of all your current players. I don't care if it is your alma mater, that's just not something you do. I realize this banquet was to honor the entire 85 team, but there will be plenty of time after the bowl season to hold banquets just to woo Harbaugh.

Seriously, take off your Pac-10 colored glasses lol.....the Michigan job is miles better than the Stanford one and I don't know where you get this assumption that he's just going to turn it down no questions asked. You're probably unaware of the weight his name continues to carry in Ann Arbor (even without the coaching press), but it's massive. Remember when Les Miles was going to be our next coach (which I believe would have happened if Herbstreit hadn't prematurely reported it)? Harbaugh is ten times more revered than Miles and IF Rodriguez is fired all the stops will be pulled to bring him in. I'm sure I posted this thought before.....but the chance to not only return to an alma mater where you're basically a legend but to do it in a situation that you could make yourself responsible for a return to domination would put him alongside guys like Bo, the man who used to watch Harbaugh play touch football as a kid in the Big House and also across the street when he played for AA Pioneer. Tradition is everything at Michigan and he's a big part of that. Stanford's only tradition is as a bottom-feeder in the Pac-10. One big year doesn't change that. Harbaugh knows this. He also knows he leads a veteran laden team with a star QB (among others) who won't be there next year. Going to Ann Arbor he'd inherit the game's most exciting (and one of its best) player. The only thing that keeps him from Ann Arbor (provided Rodriguez is fired) is if the NFL comes calling, which they easily could given the success his brother is having in Baltimore.

Also, FWIW, Harbaugh had committed to attending the banquet until yesterday and honoring the 85 team was something that had been planned for a long time, given it's the 25th anniversary of arguably Bo's best team. Had absolutely nothing to do with trying to woo anyone.

Taylor Martinez doesn't play for Michigan. ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:10 pm

Pac 10 colored glasses? What the hell are you babbling about? haha. This is a personal opinion as an outside observing college football fan, I have no dog in the fight at all. Maybe you should take off your maze and blue colored glasses. I could care less if he stays at Stanford at all, in fact I'd prefer he did bolt to Michigan so Oregon didn't have to deal with him every year. haha. I'm fully aware of the weight his name carries in Ann Arbor, and that the Michigan job is one of the premiere jobs in the country. I never intended to discredit it as such, if you read my comments that way, my apologies, it wasn't my intention. That said, it's slightly insulting that you would discredit my opinion as that of a rabid blind fan, and insinuate that I'm ignorant when it comes to Michigan tradition and Michigan football. I'm not an SEC fan, I'm fully aware there is football played outside of SEC territory. haha. I've already stated my opinion as to why I think he'll stay at Stanford, or rather, why he won't go to Michigan. I don't think it's a completely irrational thought at all, in fact I think it's more irrational to think that just because Michigan comes calling he'll come waltzing into Ann Arbor. I've also said I wouldn't be surprised if he did take the job, nothing surprises me in the college coaching carousel anymore. And for as well as we think we know these guys, we don't know them at all.

I'm sure Harbaugh had committed to the banquet, why wouldn't he commit to a banquet to honor his team? Then he realized the timing of it just wasn't right and would look bad to his current employer and players. Attending a banquet in Ann Arbor, in December, when his team is on the verge of a BCS bowl, would not look good at all. And of course I know the banquet wasn't intended to woo him. That's not what I said, what I said was there would be time to woo him after the bowl season. The two comments regarding this banquet and "wooing" Harbaugh were not intended to be connected.

Also, I find it funny that you just dismiss Stanford and their tradition as simply being bottom feeders in the Pac 10. Obviously their success and tradition isn't on the same level as Michigan's, not even close, but that really comes off as arrogant. National titles are far an few outside of USC, Cal, and Washington in the Pac 10, but Stanford does have one. They've produced a Heisman winning QB, 12 conference titles, and 27 consensus all Americans. There are also 3 Stanford players in the pro football hall of fame. Again, not on the same level as Michigan but come on. If anything, the current heavyweight in the Pac Oregon is more of a bottom feeder than Stanford. Oregon has 0 national titles, 0Heisman winners, just 8 conference titles, 2 consensus all Americans, and 0 Oregon alums in the pro football hall of fame. Come on man, one of the greatest calls in college history, The Play, is from a Stanford game. lol

But really, how is a team supposed to build winning tradition if guys like Harbaugh don't stick around? What he's done at Stanford has been nothing short of remarkable and a stamp of just how good of a coach he really is. He took a 1-11 team, the next season they were 4-8, then 5-7, then 8-5, and now 11-1 and one loss away from probably being in title game himself. Sure his team will most likely fall off some next year, but with him at the helm I have little doubt that Stanford will always be able to compete.
Metroid

Postby Metroid » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:17 pm

knapplc wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Going to Ann Arbor he'd inherit the game's most exciting (and one of its best) player.

LaMichael James doesn't play for Michigan. ;-)

fixed! ;-)
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:23 pm

The funny thing about the Taylor Martinez thing is, he may not even be on the team next year, or even our QB.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sandrock » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:28 pm

It's interesting that all the guys who follow the Pac-10 religiously and watch interviews and read articles all year long believe Harbaugh isn't likely to go anywhere but the NFL. But hey, what do we know about Harbaugh compared to a Michigan fan, right?
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Sandrock wrote:It's interesting that all the guys who follow the Pac-10 religiously and watch interviews and read articles all year long believe Harbaugh isn't likely to go anywhere but the NFL. But hey, what do we know about Harbaugh compared to a Michigan fan, right?

He's a Michigan alum didn't you know? :-b
Metroid

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:32 pm

Metroid wrote:
Sandrock wrote:It's interesting that all the guys who follow the Pac-10 religiously and watch interviews and read articles all year long believe Harbaugh isn't likely to go anywhere but the NFL. But hey, what do we know about Harbaugh compared to a Michigan fan, right?

He's a Michigan alum didn't you know? :-b

If this is honestly all you really think it is, you have no clue.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to College Football