2010 Michigan Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2010 Michigan Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2010 Michigan Thread

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Sounds like Harbaugh is out.

LINK

Jim Harbaugh's next stop is San Francisco.

The Stanford head coach will turn pro and join the 49ers. Team president Jed York confirmed the deal in a text message to the San Jose Mercury News.

"It's done," York said.

The 49ers scheduled a news conference for Friday at 6:30 p.m. ET.

ESPN, NFL.com and the Mercury News reported that Harbaugh agreed to a five-year deal worth $25 million.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:58 pm

knapplc wrote:Sounds like Harbaugh is out.

LINK

Jim Harbaugh's next stop is San Francisco.

The Stanford head coach will turn pro and join the 49ers. Team president Jed York confirmed the deal in a text message to the San Jose Mercury News.

"It's done," York said.

The 49ers scheduled a news conference for Friday at 6:30 p.m. ET.

ESPN, NFL.com and the Mercury News reported that Harbaugh agreed to a five-year deal worth $25 million.

:,-( :~(
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby Sandrock » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Anyone who thought Harbaugh was even considering Michigan was living in a dream world. Go back and listen to some of his interviews from the past two years. He says over and over again that the only way he'd leave Stanford was for the challenge of the NFL.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:28 am

Sandrock wrote:Anyone who thought Harbaugh was even considering Michigan was living in a dream world. Go back and listen to some of his interviews from the past two years. He says over and over again that the only way he'd leave Stanford was for the challenge of the NFL.

You couldn't be more wrong.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:36 pm

Clearly Michigan was more interested in Harbaugh than Harbaugh was in Michigan. I wouldn't say he wasn't at least considering the job in Ann Arbor, but obviously that's just not where he wanted to be. This isn't to say he wont end up there some day, but he wanted to try his hand in the big leagues. Can't blame the guy for that at all.

So it looks like Miles is next in line huh? Is this really who you guys want? I'm seeing that Stanford has requested TCU to talk to Peterson. Is Michigan even pitching at Peterson?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Metroid wrote:Clearly Michigan was more interested in Harbaugh than Harbaugh was in Michigan. I wouldn't say he wasn't at least considering the job in Ann Arbor, but obviously that's just not where he wanted to be. This isn't to say he wont end up there some day, but he wanted to try his hand in the big leagues. Can't blame the guy for that at all.

So it looks like Miles is next in line huh? Is this really who you guys want? I'm seeing that Stanford has requested TCU to talk to Peterson. Is Michigan even pitching at Peterson?

I'll expound on this later, but your first sentence is only confirmed by the product of this mess. I've read and heard in multiple sources (not just Michigan based ones) says that Harbaugh had given Michigan verbal assurances that he was going to take the job after the Orange Bowl.

And yes, I am definitely in favor of Miles. Proven winner, national recruiting pull and ties to the program. In retrospect, the guy we should have taken in '07 (although I was and still am pro-Rodriguez). ESPN says there will be an interview and if this is true I expect him to get the job. There were rumblings that Jon Gruden was going to interview for the job but those don't seem to be trustworthy sources.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:53 pm

Sounds like Miles is interested in talking to Mich, but also sounds like LSU is gonna do whatever it takes to hang on to him.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:54 am

As to the first sentence in my last post, I'm not using the end result back up that statement. I really hadn't seen anything other than opinion based blogs and articles, that pointed to Harbaugh seriously considering going to Michigan. From everything I read, he listened but that's it. Obviously he's going to listen, anytime a school (especially your alma mater) comes calling with the kitchen sink, you listen. But I still do not believe he was as interested in going back to Michigan as Michigan was in having him. You can want to believe that isn't the case but it's the truth. It was either the NFL or he was staying at Stanford, I had been saying this all along. It wouldn't have surprised me to see him go to Michigan because I don't know the man personally, but from everything I read, and yes the end result, Michigan was not near the top of his list on the job front.

A separate thought. Honestly, is leaving LSU to go to Michigan an improvement job wise? I'm familiar with the history of Michigan, and the tradition, and all that blah blah blah. But I mean really, unless Michigan is going to throw way more money at Miles than LSU will give him, isn't this a lateral move at best? This isn't a knock on Michigan, but the Big 10 isn't quite what it used to be, and the SEC is obviously the premiere conference right now, with the SEC West being the top dog division of the SEC. If Auburn wins the title, the SEC is even more solidified as the top conference, and the conference to play and coach in. Unless Miles just really wants to coach at Michigan, or they throw a boat load of money at him, I don't see why he would leave LSU. Just an outside opinion from an outside observer. I really don't know anything about Miles so take it for what it's worth, but Michigan may mess around and let Stanford (ironically enough) grab their next coach to be in Peterson if they aren't careful.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:26 pm

Doesn't Miles make about $4 million per year, and doesn't he have a $1 million buyout? I know Michigan has deep pockets and could afford all of this, but why pay that much money for Miles, when he hasn't been overly impressive at LSU, where he has even greater recruiting advantages?

Miles also has several young children ensconced in schools. I think too often people overlook the family impact of a move like this. For family men like Miles, it's not ONLY a matter of money.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:09 pm

Metroid wrote:A separate thought. Honestly, is leaving LSU to go to Michigan an improvement job wise? I'm familiar with the history of Michigan, and the tradition, and all that blah blah blah. But I mean really, unless Michigan is going to throw way more money at Miles than LSU will give him, isn't this a lateral move at best? This isn't a knock on Michigan, but the Big 10 isn't quite what it used to be, and the SEC is obviously the premiere conference right now, with the SEC West being the top dog division of the SEC. If Auburn wins the title, the SEC is even more solidified as the top conference, and the conference to play and coach in. Unless Miles just really wants to coach at Michigan, or they throw a boat load of money at him, I don't see why he would leave LSU. Just an outside opinion from an outside observer. I really don't know anything about Miles so take it for what it's worth, but Michigan may mess around and let Stanford (ironically enough) grab their next coach to be in Peterson if they aren't careful.

Agree, at best it is a lateral move (some would even say a step down). The only reason Miles would take it is because he is a Michigan man, having been both a student and later an assistant coach. otherwise he prob wouldn't even consider it. And a of course a boatload of cash would help too!
stomperrob

PreviousNext

Return to College Football