2010 Michigan Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2010 Michigan Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2010 Michigan Thread

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:25 pm

Two things:

1. It is my belief that Michigan will not lose a bidding war. Don't underestimate their desperation after losing out on Harbaugh. They have the money (more importantly they're willing to spend it now) and I think they'll end up overpaying for whoever ends up there.

2. The Michigan job is still one of football's best. One bad hire does not change that and most on here are looking at short term results and making ridiculous assumptions. The only thing that would make me even attempt to change my mind on this idea is if we end up with Brady Hoke. In that case, the Rodriguez firing will be a disaster as other coaches don't want to inherit what's still there even though there's a young, fast team with a ton of potential.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:27 pm

Why are you so against Brady Hoke? He has won everywhere he has been and he was an assistant under Lloyd Carr, meaning that he knows the Michigan way. Big deal if he hasn't coached at a major program. Want to know where Tressel coached before going to Ohio State? Youngstown State. He hadn't had a major coaching gig, but he was a winner, and he's done absolute wonders for the program. Once we didn't get Miles in 2007, I said I wanted someone from a smaller program who could just be a solid head coach. Unfortunately, we got that piece of crap Rich Rod instead who tried to implement a new system and was, in the truest meaning of the word, a failure. Now is a fine time to get a nice, under-the-radar coach who can just come in here and be solid and win. I would be 100% fine with Brady Hoke, and in fact, I would prefer him to Les Miles.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:32 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Two things:

1. It is my belief that Michigan will not lose a bidding war. Don't underestimate their desperation after losing out on Harbaugh. They have the money (more importantly they're willing to spend it now) and I think they'll end up overpaying for whoever ends up there.

2. The Michigan job is still one of football's best. One bad hire does not change that and most on here are looking at short term results and making ridiculous assumptions. The only thing that would make me even attempt to change my mind on this idea is if we end up with Brady Hoke. In that case, the Rodriguez firing will be a disaster as other coaches don't want to inherit what's still there even though there's a young, fast team with a ton of potential.

The cachet of the the Big 10 as a whole as suffered the past several years given their performance vs other conferences, and thus Mich is also painted with the same brush.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:37 pm

Posted: Jan. 10, 2011
Les Miles meets with Michigan AD Dave Brandon
By MARK SNYDER and MICHAEL ROSENBERG
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITERS

A Michigan man has interviewed for the Michigan coaching job.

Louisiana State football coach Les Miles, who played under Bo Schembechler at U-M in the 1970s, said early this afternoon that he planned to meet with Michigan about replacing Rich Rodriguez.

And, according to a Baton Rouge, La., television station, U-M athletic director Dave Brandon then met this evening with Miles at his condo right off the LSU campus.

The station, WAFB (Channel 9), also reported that Brandon and two other U-M representatives went from the meeting to the airport in a Cadillac Escalade, where they were seen boarding a Domino's Pizza plane at 7:40 p.m. The plane left moments later. Miles was not on it.

A flight plan available online showed the plane was bound for Willow Run Airport.

Miles is scheduled to be in Dallas to make a presentation Tuesday afternoon during the American Football Coaches Association's annual convention.

This afternoon, a flight plan showed the same Domino's Pizza plane heading from Dallas to Baton Rouge. Brandon is a former CEO of Domino's, and there has been speculation he is using the plane for his search.

con't...

more: http://www.freep.com/article/20110110/S ... with-Miles
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:58 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Why are you so against Brady Hoke? He has won everywhere he has been and he was an assistant under Lloyd Carr, meaning that he knows the Michigan way. Big deal if he hasn't coached at a major program. Want to know where Tressel coached before going to Ohio State? Youngstown State. He hadn't had a major coaching gig, but he was a winner, and he's done absolute wonders for the program. Once we didn't get Miles in 2007, I said I wanted someone from a smaller program who could just be a solid head coach. Unfortunately, we got that piece of crap Rich Rod instead who tried to implement a new system and was, in the truest meaning of the word, a failure. Now is a fine time to get a nice, under-the-radar coach who can just come in here and be solid and win. I would be 100% fine with Brady Hoke, and in fact, I would prefer him to Les Miles.

He has a career record below .500 and was passed over for the Minnesota job. The only reason he is even being considered is because of his ties to the job. Rodriguez's resume blows his out of the water. If he's hired, I hope for Hoke's sake that he's not treated like garbage by the fan base like Rodriguez was.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:45 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Why are you so against Brady Hoke? He has won everywhere he has been and he was an assistant under Lloyd Carr, meaning that he knows the Michigan way. Big deal if he hasn't coached at a major program. Want to know where Tressel coached before going to Ohio State? Youngstown State. He hadn't had a major coaching gig, but he was a winner, and he's done absolute wonders for the program. Once we didn't get Miles in 2007, I said I wanted someone from a smaller program who could just be a solid head coach. Unfortunately, we got that piece of crap Rich Rod instead who tried to implement a new system and was, in the truest meaning of the word, a failure. Now is a fine time to get a nice, under-the-radar coach who can just come in here and be solid and win. I would be 100% fine with Brady Hoke, and in fact, I would prefer him to Les Miles.

He has a career record below .500 and was passed over for the Minnesota job. The only reason he is even being considered is because of his ties to the job. Rodriguez's resume blows his out of the water. If he's hired, I hope for Hoke's sake that he's not treated like garbage by the fan base like Rodriguez was.

The reason his career record is below .500 is because he took over such miserable programs that he had absolutely no chance to be good right off the bat, so his poor records at the beginning skew his overall record. At Ball St, they went 4-8 his first season and 12-1 his last (and he didn't actually coach the game they lost). At SDSU, they went 4-8 his first season and 9-4 his last (including a bowl win). The guy can turn around programs, which is exactly what we need here. Also, I frankly don't care what Rodriguez's resume says: RIch Rod had his chance and he failed miserably. He had to be fired, regardless of whether Harbaugh, Miles, Gruden, or Hoke was available. How much longer were you going to be okay with Rich Rod to be the coach and have us lose, while he recruited players that would be unhelpful to his successor? At least now we get to move on.

Also, Miles just announced that he is staying at LSU, which is a complete blessing in disguise. He is old enough that he would only be here for probably 5 years or so, and who knows how he could adjust to having to recruit ethically (because there is no way that Michigan would put up with his overrecruiting and sending people home BS). In all likelihood, Hoke will be the coach, and there is still an outside chance we get Gruden IMO.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Hoke officially in as coach. I'm glad ;-D Michigan fans need to give him a chance though. He needs the support necessary to win: the support that Rich Rod never got.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Yup:

Posted: Jan. 11, 2011 | Updated: 4:24 p.m. today
Brady Hoke named Michigan football coach
By MARK SNYDER
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Extracted from a news release from the University of Michigan this afternoon:

Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon today hired Brady Hoke as the 19th coach in the 131-year history of Michigan football. Hoke arrives in Ann Arbor after spending the past eight seasons as a head coach at Ball State (2003-08) and San Diego State (2009-10).

“We are pleased to announce the hiring of Brady,” Brandon said in the release. “He is a terrific coach and will be a great ambassador and leader for our football program. We look forward to having him build a championship program on the field and in the classroom.”

Hoke spent eight seasons in Ann Arbor before embarking on his head coaching career. He mentored the Wolverines defensive line all eight seasons. A member of Michigan’s national championship staff in 1997, Hoke helped the defense lead the nation in rushing defense at 89 yards per game and 2.7 yards per carry. Michigan’s team posted a 5-3 records against Michigan State, Ohio State and in bowl games during Hoke’s tenure on the staff.

Hoke was named the 2010 Mountain West Conference coach of the year after guiding the Aztecs to a 9-4 record. He led SDSU to its first bowl game in 12 years, a 35-14 victory over Navy in the Poinsettia Bowl.

Hoke took the leadership position at his alma mater, Ball State, in 2003 and built it into a championship program before departing after six seasons for the West Coast.

con't...

more: http://www.freep.com/article/20110111/S ... es-excited
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:51 pm

Posted: Jan. 11, 2011
Recruiting
Can next coach save Michigan’s 2011 class?
BY JOHN HELMHOLDT
FREE PRESS SPECIAL WRITER

Athletic director David Brandon’s choice to postpone his decision on the head coaching position at Michigan until after their Jan. 1 bowl game has caused additional problems for the Wolverines’ recruiting efforts and there is little time for a new coach to resurrect this class with National Signing Day just three weeks away.

Michigan was already struggling to stay among the top 30 recruiting classes nationally before Rich Rodriguez’s firing, but the uncertainty now surrounding the program is causing many of the Wolverines’ top targets to look elsewhere.

Orlando (Fla.) Dr. Phillips running back Demetrius Hart, ranked No. 17 nationwide by Rivals.com, decommitted from Michigan on Sunday in the build-up to Rodriguez’s dismissal.

Nine of the Wolverines’ 12 remaining commitments in the 2011 class appear likely to sign with the Wolverines in February. Traverse City West offensive tackle Jake Fisher, Olney (Md.) Good Counsel cornerback Blake Countess and West Hills Chaminade placekicker Matt Goudis will be considering other schools along with Michigan in the coming weeks.

con't...

more: http://www.freep.com/article/20110111/S ... 4/sports06
stomperrob

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Don't bash Rodriguez. If I was him I'd be glad to gone. He was never given a chance because of these ridiculous factions that exist within the program. Michigan has successfully held itself hostage with the Hoke hiring. They are so in love with the idea of a Michigan Man that they are willing to make a sub-par hire in order to satisfy the old guard. If you don't think Lloyd Carr had a lot to do with this hiring, you're crazy.

That being said, it's absolutely not Hoke's fault. I admire the guy's passion and he has a decent track record. I think he can win here, but it's a total question mark.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to College Football