2010 Michigan Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2010 Michigan Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2010 Michigan Thread

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:00 pm

stomperrob wrote:Yeh, great numbers by Denard again. However, a little concerned about them going 7 straight possessions in the second half without scoring a single point (didn`t help of course that the kicker sucks big time).

GO BLUE!!!

They were moving the ball, just unable to punch it in. My biggest concern is the ineffectiveness of our running game besides Denard and our d-line's inability to get any pressure on the quarterback. Crist would not have had nearly the success he had if he didn't have all day to throw the ball. They were real fortunate that he got hurt as much as that sucks to say. Hopefully these next two weeks will be used to keep Denard fresh and hopefully they can expand the playbook a little more to hopefully stretch defenses out even more, opening running lanes for QB EAGLES.

EDIT: Lots of hopefulness there :-b
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:29 am

I'll post my thoughts tomorrow
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:26 am

Thoughts....

I know it's easy to look at a close game against a FCS opponent and think typical thoughts but I think this was a simple case of a defense not taking an opponent serious enough, giving them enough momentum to believe and then having a difficult time with them. Our d-line besides Martin was dominated off the ball all day and that has not happened in either game so far; suffice to say I find it hard to believe that UMass has a better offensive line than UConn or ND. Both corners played awfully after an excellent game against ND. Kovacs made a lot of tackles and forced the fumble that all of a sudden looks like the most important play of the game, but he was absolutely exposed in the passing game all day......they better hope Carvin Johnson comes back quick because Kovacs and Cam Gordon are major liabilities right now in pass coverage. The optimist in me believes this game was the best thing possible for this team and that they'll come out firing from now on but the pessimist in me believes our defense is in huge trouble unless somebody steps up besides Martin and Roh.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Metroid » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:21 pm

It's very concerning that Michigan was so clearly dominated in the trenches. Giving up 439 total yards, including 217 yards on the ground, against an FCS school is not good to see at all. You can call it, "not taking an opponent seriously" but I don't know that that's really the case. Even an unprepared Michigan team should be able control the line of scrimmage, DII schools just should not be able to move the ball like that. This is the same UMASS team that needed a late 4th quarter TD run to beat William and Mary in week 1. Very concerning to say the least.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Very concerning. I knew the defense was bad, but I had not idea they were THAT bad. WIth that said, the offense was still awesome, so I feel like this is going to be a year where, if we're going to win, we just have to play shootouts and hope for the best.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:50 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Very concerning. I knew the defense was bad, but I had not idea they were THAT bad. WIth that said, the offense was still awesome, so I feel like this is going to be a year where, if we're going to win, we just have to play shootouts and hope for the best.

Totally. Problem is, pretty soon they're going to start facing some teams who know how to play defense. Hopefully they can get their own defense figured out by then.
Metroid

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:33 pm

Metroid wrote:It's very concerning that Michigan was so clearly dominated in the trenches. Giving up 439 total yards, including 217 yards on the ground, against an FCS school is not good to see at all. You can call it, "not taking an opponent seriously" but I don't know that that's really the case. Even an unprepared Michigan team should be able control the line of scrimmage, DII schools just should not be able to move the ball like that. This is the same UMASS team that needed a late 4th quarter TD run to beat William and Mary in week 1. Very concerning to say the least.

My point is that FCS teams do not equal automatic patsies and that if you come out sluggish and give a motivated team some momentum, you might quickly end up in a dogfight. I mean, outside of two plays that Cam Gordon was responsible for they pretty much bottled up Notre Dame's offense.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Metroid » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Even coming out sluggish, Michigan should have been able to get it together and put UMASS away. I mean they regained their composure enough to hold UMASS scoreless in the 3rd and went into the 4th with a 17-35 lead. UMASS should never have scored again. Giving up 3 TDs in the 4th quarter to a DII team is inexcusable. I could buy the "coming out sluggish" or unprepared for the first half. Giving up the 17 points is a sign of sluggishness, giving up 3 late TD's is a sign of something else. It wasn't just defense either, special teams play was pretty poor too. Missing field goals, having a punt blocked, and not returning kicks well. Not good. Without their Heisman Hopeful this game would have ended much worse for Michigan.

I wont say it's a sign of things to come, I think the Wolverines have to be better on D and ST then what I saw yesterday, but like I said it's very concerning considering the opponent. I do expect them to rebound some next week...I hope. Because like I said, they will be facing some teams who know how to play defense in the near future, if they don't pick up their own play on D things could get ugly.
Metroid

Postby stomperrob » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:08 pm

They seemed to have trouble getting on track in the first half, but good to see they pulled it out in the end. This team still has a ways to go, but they're miles ahead of where they were the past 2 seasons. With RichRod having most of his guys in place at last, wasn't expecting miracles this year, just a decent season to build on and hopefully take another big step in 2011.

GO BLUE!!!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:37 pm

Metroid wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Very concerning. I knew the defense was bad, but I had not idea they were THAT bad. WIth that said, the offense was still awesome, so I feel like this is going to be a year where, if we're going to win, we just have to play shootouts and hope for the best.

Totally. Problem is, pretty soon they're going to start facing some teams who know how to play defense. Hopefully they can get their own defense figured out by then.

True. We also have no idea how good their offense really is. ND is perpetually overrated and UCONN is appearing to be not so great. Could Denard and Co truly be one of the best offenses in the league? Sure. Could they be extremely average? Also possible.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to College Football