2010 Michigan Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2010 Michigan Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2010 Michigan Thread

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:40 am

Metroid wrote:Harbaugh? As in Stanford's Harbaugh? Honestly I don't see him leaving Stanford. He still has work to do at Stanford and he doesn't strike me as the type of guy to jump ship and leave things unfinished. Miles on the other hand should be very available.

Harbaugh is a Michigan alum and his name has popped up to succeed Rich Rod as much as Miles' has. He made some remarks a few years ago that some Michigan fans were displeased with, which is a huge part of the reason he wasn't offered a job to succeed Lloyd Carr; however, things have calmed down by now, and I think Michigan's front office isn't so mad at him anymore, he could be a great option.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:27 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Metroid wrote:Harbaugh? As in Stanford's Harbaugh? Honestly I don't see him leaving Stanford. He still has work to do at Stanford and he doesn't strike me as the type of guy to jump ship and leave things unfinished. Miles on the other hand should be very available.

Harbaugh is a Michigan alum and his name has popped up to succeed Rich Rod as much as Miles' has. He made some remarks a few years ago that some Michigan fans were displeased with, which is a huge part of the reason he wasn't offered a job to succeed Lloyd Carr; however, things have calmed down by now, and I think Michigan's front office isn't so mad at him anymore, he could be a great option.

Yeah he'd be a great option if he wants the job. Like I said, I don't think he's available. I know he's a Michigan alum, I know Michigan wants him. However, none of that means they will get him. Just because Michigan wants something doesn't mean they get it. Could he jump ship for a huge payday? Sure, anything is possible. But Harbaugh strikes me as a VERY stand up guy, he came to Stanford and set some high goals that he hasn't reached yet. He has unfinished business and I think he'll see things through. I could be wrong, but as an unbiased outside observer, that's how I see things. Again, Miles on the other hand should be very available.

I will say that if by some miracle Standford does get to the Rose Bowl and win it, Harbaugh will become much more available. However, that is looking extremely unlikely even if they do run the table and go 12-1. Another reason I hate these TCU's, Boise's, and Utah's. :-t
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:42 am

If Michigan came calling, I'd be shocked if Harbaugh actually turned the job down.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:01 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:If Michigan came calling, I'd be shocked if Harbaugh actually turned the job down.

Why because it's Michigan?
Metroid

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:41 am

Metroid wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:If Michigan came calling, I'd be shocked if Harbaugh actually turned the job down.

In short, yeah pretty much. Just because Rodriguez has struggled doesn't take any shine off the job, not to mention Harbaugh's relationship with Schembechler and the chance to bring the program back to its usual heights. The only sticking point were a couple comments in the past, otherwise it's really a no-brainer. You're going to tell me that because he's had a couple years of success at Stanford that the job there is a better one to have than in Ann Arbor? Not a chance.

Jobs like the Michigan one will always be among the most prestigious in football and maybe even more so if they are experiencing a down period. To coach a school with so much tradition and success, being the guy that brings them out of the funk would automatically make you a hero of the highest order. Now take that and multiply it by ten if you're Harbaugh because his strong ties to the program and I would be shocked if he turned it down.
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:22 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Metroid wrote:

In short, yeah pretty much. Just because Rodriguez has struggled doesn't take any shine off the job, not to mention Harbaugh's relationship with Schembechler and the chance to bring the program back to its usual heights. The only sticking point were a couple comments in the past, otherwise it's really a no-brainer. You're going to tell me that because he's had a couple years of success at Stanford that the job there is a better one to have than in Ann Arbor? Not a chance.

Jobs like the Michigan one will always be among the most prestigious in football and maybe even more so if they are experiencing a down period. To coach a school with so much tradition and success, being the guy that brings them out of the funk would automatically make you a hero of the highest order. Now take that and multiply it by ten if you're Harbaugh because his strong ties to the program and I would be shocked if he turned it down.

agree with Aqua...

also i'll pass on Les Miles...i think that hire would become a disaster
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:05 pm

Michigan > Stanford in college football. I don't think there's any question about that.

Michigan is one of the very pillars of college football, a flagship program. Michigan exemplifies what college football is all about. If you get a chance to coach at Michigan and you're not already at a place like Ohio State, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, etc, you take the job.

Harbaugh isn't at Stanford because he rejected Michigan - he's at Stanford because Michigan didn't want him (or wouldn't take him).
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sandrock » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:31 pm

The only way Harbaugh leaves Stanford any time soon is for the NFL.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:35 pm

Sandrock wrote:The only way Harbaugh leaves Stanford any time soon is for the NFL.

My thoughts exactly.

And I'm not knocking the Michigan job, I'm well aware it's one of the premiere jobs in the country. My point is that Harbaugh does not strike me as the type of guy who would leave Stanford when he's still got work to do. At least not yet. I could be totally off here, but that's just how I see it.
Metroid

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:36 pm

Sleeper pick for Michigan coach next year: Kyle Whittingham.

If Utah runs the table and somehow gets into the BCS again, couldn't his work at Utah potentially be done? He has a proven track record, he is a standup guy who graduates his players, and he is a young guy that could be around for a while. The downside is that he turned down Tennessee last year, so whose to say he would leave for Michigan this year? That said, Michigan still is a prestigious job, in a major conference, and he would inherit one of the most electric players we've seen in a while in Denard Robinson. If he decides that his work is done at Utah, I would love to see him on the sidelines for Michigan.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to College Football