Why is Deangelo Williams rated so low? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why is Deangelo Williams rated so low?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why is Deangelo Williams rated so low?

Postby bagobonez » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:16 pm

Am I missing something here? He finished as the TOP fantasy RB in most leagues, and nothing has really changed in Carolina. Will Jonathan Stewart get some carries? Sure, but only enough to keep D-Will from wearing down late in the season. I really don't see Stewart taking D-Will's job from him, especially with the nagging injuries he's had again this pre-season. It's not as if Carolina's not going to be running the ball enough for Williams to get his chances. I just don't understand why he's falling to the end of Round 1? Sure, if you wanna take Adrian Peterson over him I get that, but he definitely does not deserve to be ranked RB6 or lower.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Why is Deangelo Williams rated so low?

Postby dgan » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:34 pm

The NFC South has a brutal schedule. That's the scare for Brees, Turner, and Williams. But I agree with you - especially after what we've seen this preseason, Williams is probably on the best running offense of all the top backs. And it doesn't look like JStew can stay healthy, so he'll probably be in and out all year. Goodson may earn some carries, but there are still plenty for Williams to have a huge year. If he could increase his receiving production a little, it would help offset the difficult schedule.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:44 pm

bagobonez wrote:Am I missing something here? He finished as the TOP fantasy RB in most leagues, and nothing has really changed in Carolina. Will Jonathan Stewart get some carries? Sure, but only enough to keep D-Will from wearing down late in the season. I really don't see Stewart taking D-Will's job from him, especially with the nagging injuries he's had again this pre-season. It's not as if Carolina's not going to be running the ball enough for Williams to get his chances. I just don't understand why he's falling to the end of Round 1? Sure, if you wanna take Adrian Peterson over him I get that, but he definitely does not deserve to be ranked RB6 or lower.

I am very high on DeAngelo, but I can see why other people aren't.

Players and units just don't repeat historic success very often. No quarterbacks follow up 45 TD seasons with anywhere near another 45 TD season. No RBs follow up 25-30 TD seasons with anything near 25-30 TD seasons, etc.

Carolina's top two rushers last year combined for 3000 yards and 30 TDs. That is absurd. Like really, really absurd. Anyone expecting them to get back near that mark next year is expecting a whole, whole lot. Further, Jonathan Stewart was a rookie last year who was also impressive when he was healthy. I think a lot of people expect him to get a larger share of the work this year (not larger than Williams, but larger than Stewart had last year). Keep in mind that DeAngelo didn't blow up until Stewart got hurt last year.

In short, I think a lot of people are expecting DeAngelo to get a smaller piece of a smaller pie next year. Personally, I think DeAngelo is one of the most talented RBs in the league, with one of the best run blocking O-lines in the league, and I think Stewart's achilles is going to bother him all year, so like I said I am very high on him. That said, if Stewart DOES stay healthy this year, even I don't think DeAngelo will get anywhere close to the numbers he put up last year.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:00 pm

I just grabbed him at the 5 spot. The guy is a game breaker. With Stewart hurt I think the carries increase. The only problem is the schedule.

I had a chance at Turner but decided that both could potentially be in the same spot with losing carries.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Azrael » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:30 pm

The only thing I really dislike about Williams is his schedule. His ridiculous run last year was most certainly aided by his extremely easy schedule after his by but he still played phenomenal himself. Other than that the dude is a top 5 back I think. It's worth noting that the best fantasy back in the league has repeated as best fantasy back since the year 2000 if for no other reason than it does show a trend. 2000-2001 Faulk, 2002-2003 Holmes, 2004-2005 Alexander, 2006-2007 LT, 2008 DeAngelo.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Return to Football Talk