Colts Game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Colts Game

Moderator: Football Moderators

Colts Game

Postby RWLongy4 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:38 pm

Well I went to the Colts game, was a lot of fun (minus the 8 bucks a beer part :,-( ) and I can honestly say I was impressed with almost all facets of the Lions game. I thought Culpepper looked fantastic and will more than likely get the nod week 1. Stafford though, also looked solid never really made a bad decision the whole time he played. Stanton should be deemed "King of the preseason" i'm convinced.

Kevin Smith wow'd me... he is going to be fantastic this year. Maurice Morris did not look like a viable guy to spell Smith... maybe just shaking the rust off. Aaron Brown looked good, everytime he'd touch the ball everyone in Ford Field seemed to hold there breath thinking he may take it to the house, and I think he has that capability.

Having Calvin/Bryant back made worlds of difference in both the passing and running game. I'm so antsy to see someone decent getting Calvin the ball.

Our O-Line got good push on running plays and often provided good protection on passing downs... even when it broke down Daunte's pocket presence was great ;-D

Pettigrew is going to be a great offensive weapon, man he's a big target (bigger than I had thought).

DEFENSE
The first team D-Line didn't look great, but there were finally plays where they did get pressure. (A third down sack on Peyton Manning was a sight for sore eyes and everyone went nuts)

LBs looked ok, I don't think we'll really see them shine til Gunner is in full game mode blitzing.

Corners got torched... It was Peyton and Buchanon and Henry were out so I don't make much of it.

Delmas was quiet, still haven't seen that much from him in the preseason.

Levy was everywhere when he got in, I'm liking that pick.

Follett had the hit of the game on a kickoff, I was right near the play, man it was loud. Unfortunately I don't think he got much action.

Overall: Good Bounce back from the Cleveland game.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Colts Game

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:03 am

I thought the O-line had its best game since the Millen Error was started. K Smith looked great, not good, great. ;-D If he can become a real threat to catch passes out of the backfield, and show such nice strength running, he could keep us in many games this season. And that is what I saw most out there. The Schwartz was using Culpepper to keep the O on the field in order to keep the pathetic D on the bench. I think this is a great sign in that it shows The Schwartz is aware that this team is awful and not only has to go back to basics, but actually take those basics out to the field. ;-D ;-D ;-D (How's that for pad level, NimRod?)
It gives me some hope that at least we have a HC who sees the truth--most of these guys don't belong on a NFL team.

CJ made a catch and didn't appear to get re-injured. Big positive there.
;-D Talk about the D turning down tackles last week. Bryant Johnson turned down a pass and that turned into another Stafford INT. I didn't see much out of My Left Johnson (Because Megatron has to be right, no?) He didn't seem to get open enough, and didn't try to position himself for a pass that was his to take, nor did he even challenge the CB for the ball. :-t
Williams may actually have a future on this team, but it doesn't look like returning is it. He does seem to be able to catch passes in tight coverage, and that should be enough to be out #5 WR. If he can learn to return, he should be a lock to make the team.
Looker was okay, the rest of them were what we thought they were--trash.
Pettigrew looked promising, both in catching and in blocking. He looked to hold his own vs. some big bodies a time or two. That is not a job that he will be asked to do much, so I think he should tighten up that side of the line. We'll see how he handles smaller, quicker LBs who will try to speed rush him. ;-D
Culpepper looks slow, less weight, but not quicker. His passes also lack zip, not just compared to Stafford, but Stanton even looked to have more on his passes. Maybe just a slow delivery and too many short passes. But, as stated earier, that could be more design than talent.
Stafford was better than he looked. His release and zip are among the tops in the league. And his courage, coming back from a poor effort the week before and throwing high risk passes instead of Bluesky check-downs, is clearly something that is lacking in Culpepper. I like this kid, he should start even though we probably have a better chance to be in some of the early games with Duante.
Stanton looked okay vs backups. Which is all you can ask. I would almost envision a razzle-dazzle package in the future with Stanton utilizing his running ability. Still suspect he is an injury waiting to happen should he ever have to play for real. Didn't embarrass himself, a testament to the coaching staff. (How you like me now, Colleto?)
I was very disappointed and am growing concerned over the lack of playmaking from practice field destroyah Delmas. He never came close to making a play. He looks lost out there. We can only hope that it is a by-procduct of a talent deplete D rather than his own skills. Maybe the leap from MAC to the NFL is too much for Louis. Bummer so far. ****
LBs and DL have got to play much, much, much better than that. Where is White? Where were Peterson and Foote? When you D is as bad as this one is, the guys who do have skills should be easy to spot. Yet I found myself searching for these guys too often. :-t

****I believe we heard alot about poor tackling last week. Will coach Gunny lay the law on Delmas after the horrid tackling display he put on vs the Colts? His tackling was the worse I have seen in quite some time. I mean, the guy missed on several plays, and they must have all been in camera view. Brutal. So Gunny, do we start writing bus tickets to the bench, or did we maybe spout off without noticing that you don't have 11 guys who are both willing and able to tackle?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Detroit Lions