weather people - hurricanes - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

weather people - hurricanes

Moderator: Football Moderators

weather people - hurricanes

Postby houstonherdfan » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:58 pm

Need some help. We are vacationing in the Destin FWB area next summer. The savings for renting a condo after August 8th or so is about 1200 to 1500 bucks opposed to earlier in june or july. I need to do some risk analysis on tropical activity on the area for the month of august. Tried to do this through search engines and there is some much BS about the topic thet it is really difficult to find good info.

Looking for a weather guy who is knowledgeble about tropical activity that can send me some info about my risk of messing up the family vacation. Is anyone here a weather person or knows a weather person who has some knowledge in this topic?

This would be much appreciated. If I can save a bunch of money on my vacation accomidations and could sure show the family a really excelent vacation.

Usually we rent our condo and don't do a whole lot else due to extra money.

PM me thanks.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: weather people - hurricanes

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:49 pm

Mother nature is purely unpredictable. You can do all the analysis you want but the fact is mother nature is going to do her thing. Make sure it is refundable and have a back up plan.

This site seems interesting
http://www.hurricanecity.com/city/destin.htm
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Tyeattolah » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:28 pm

I can't remember for sure but I thought the Weather Channel had an online search and ask questions to a weather expert. Wish I had the time to double check but packing for next trip!
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby houstonherdfan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:06 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Mother nature is purely unpredictable. You can do all the analysis you want but the fact is mother nature is going to do her thing. Make sure it is refundable and have a back up plan.

This site seems interesting
http://www.hurricanecity.com/city/destin.htm

Yep I sure know that. Was just trying to see some statas form the past to see if the saving of about 1200.00 for a weeks condo rental was worth whatever risk I am taking for going later in the hurricane season.

either way July or August still going to hurricane season.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:42 pm

Did you read that site? Gives you the years and hurricane nales that have hit the area. Next expected damage is 2009 8-o
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby houstonherdfan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:32 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Did you read that site? Gives you the years and hurricane nales that have hit the area. Next expected damage is 2009 8-o

Yea I saw that and either the A or the B named tropical storm was a direct hit on the area. So I guess statistically I'm good for 3 years. I also saw that nothing has hit the area in August while 3 storms have hit within a week of July 4th (which is our planned vacation).
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby houstonherdfan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:02 pm

After talking to the wife it looks like we are going to do 2 family vacations next year. Plan a week in early August in the Destin area (save 1000+ in accomidations rental) and then use the 1000.00 we save to hit a very long weekend 5-6 days closer to home (Galveston or Corpus Christi). 2 Summer vacations for the price of one. Galvestion/CC just after school over for kids then Florida (with a back up plan should there be a hurricaine issue) just before school starts. Never done 2 in one year. Hopefully the kids don't get sick alot early next year and kill it cause we use all our vacation cause of taking care of the children.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to General Talk