"Blackout Blues" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"Blackout Blues"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: "Blackout Blues"

Postby dgan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:59 pm

Yeah, I don't get this. I don't see how blacking out games builds a fan base, which is the major problem with these teams. Northern Wisconsin is primarily industrial and has been hit hard with the economy - guarantee you every Packer game sells out, even following a 4-12 season.

Look on the bright side, Mooch. You'll get a real NFL game televised to your home instead. :-b
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:37 pm

dgan wrote:Yeah, I don't get this. I don't see how blacking out games builds a fan base, which is the major problem with these teams. Northern Wisconsin is primarily industrial and has been hit hard with the economy - guarantee you every Packer game sells out, even following a 4-12 season.

Look on the bright side, Mooch. You'll get a real NFL game televised to your home instead. :-b

That is the odd thing, the NFL made a mistake by allowing this loophole. Say the Lions were playing on FOX and its their double header day. The Lions are blacked out, but rather than show another game we end up with some dillhole infomercial for an smokeless solar clam peeler. The networks actually make more money showing a cheap infomercial than it does buying the other NFL game to show. There could be weeks in the motor D where there is no 1pm game to watch. That is unforgiveable.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby RWLongy4 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:31 am

moochman wrote:That is the odd thing, the NFL made a mistake by allowing this loophole. Say the Lions were playing on FOX and its their double header day. The Lions are blacked out, but rather than show another game we end up with some dillhole infomercial for an smokeless solar clam peeler. The networks actually make more money showing a cheap infomercial than it does buying the other NFL game to show. There could be weeks in the motor D where there is no 1pm game to watch. That is unforgiveable.

They have smokeless ones now? I might have to look into that :-b ;-7

Yeah it's pretty horrible, I'm currently living in toledo (included in the Lions blackout radius which is 75 miles of the stadium) and I was just trying to plan how far south I would have to drive to be able to catch the game at a bar. :-b

Frankly I plan on attending 3 games this year (one in cincy, two home) and hearing that the game may be blacked out earlier that week is certainly not going to change my mind on which games I'm attending. The rule needs a change.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby hifiguy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:06 am

Maybe, just maybe this could turn into a good thing for us suffering as Lions fans. How many years have the T.V. station, advertisers, etc. bailed Ford out at the last minute, bought the tickets and saved a blackout? This might be new in some areas but I can remember this going on around here since the silverdome days. Could finally having empty seats and lost ad revenue force him into putting an NFL product on the field? We can dream right? I would have never imagined Wayne Fontes would be the best Lions coach in my life. That's pathetic! I know you older fans can remember the Waynes got to go chants. Anyhow, maybe this could force the issue a little more. Thanks.
hifiguy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 16)

Postby smackthefirst » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:49 am

Well I for one think these blackout rules are archaic. Fortunately, I've never had to deal with them living in the DC area and the Skins have never been blacked out to my knowledge. But to black out a game due to the game not being sold out makes no sense to me. I will fully admit that I actually prefer spending most Sundays at home or in a bar as it allows me to watch more games, but nothing can beat the feel of going to an actual game, nothing. But the NFL needs to realize that with ticket prices, concession prices, and even parking; it's nearly impossible for a middle class family in this economy to justify spending a few hundred dollars to take their family to a game. If the NFL really wanted to increase their fan support, they would either do away with this rule or at the very least amend it to be less stringent. If they decided to say something like if a game is less than 80% sold out, then it would be blacked out or some other percentage; then I could live with it a little more. Obviously the NFL and the owners don't want everyone staying at home to watch the game, but they have to realize that this won't happen ever, unless the cost of admission keeps skyrocketing.

But I do have one odd question for Mooch or another Lion fan. I've never thought about it and I guess it might never happen considering the game itself, but what would happen if Detroit failed to sell out a Thanksgiving day home game? Would the game really be blacked out locally for you guys? I mean football on Thanksgiving is as much a staple as the turkey itself is. I'd be shocked if the NFL actually blacked this game out due to poor ticket sales; but at this point, i don't put anything past the NFL.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby RWLongy4 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:58 pm

smackthefirst wrote:
But I do have one odd question for Mooch or another Lion fan. I've never thought about it and I guess it might never happen considering the game itself, but what would happen if Detroit failed to sell out a Thanksgiving day home game? Would the game really be blacked out locally for you guys? I mean football on Thanksgiving is as much a staple as the turkey itself is. I'd be shocked if the NFL actually blacked this game out due to poor ticket sales; but at this point, i don't put anything past the NFL.

There was actually talk of this last year, I think old man Ford would end up buying the tickets himself to prevent it from happening on thanksgiving but if he didn't they would certainly blackout the game in the 75 mile radius.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:34 am

Yoda wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Yoda wrote:The belief that people will fork over $35+ per ticket to head over to the stadium due to a blackout is severely flawed: "Oh crap the Chargers are not going to be on TV so I need to drive one hour down to the stadium and fork over $100+ for my family to watch the game." Mmmk... I'm sure that this happens like never. People are staying home and watching the game for a reason. I'm sure most people would love to watch every game at the stadium if given the choice.

i actually prefer to watch football at home...better view of the action, can flip to other games and fantasy stats, can pause action to use the facilities go get more food/beer

I wonder how you would respond if someone offered you 50 yard line tickets for free.

in that case sure, i'd go to a game or two, but i wouldnt want to go to every game...maybe the Lions being such a terrible team factors in though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:56 pm

Black out Blues??

This is great news for me. I live in the Bay area where I'm stuck watching the niners and Raiders over other great games. The reality I jhave it on but don't really watch. The reason is because I'm watching it on CBS or ESPN and my live scoring.

This means I get to see more good games this year. ;-D

Sorry for those who live near their teams. This must suck.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Munboy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:48 pm

Didn't the NFL bend the blackout rules (sell out 78 hours before kick off, or it won't be shown on TV...an attempt to get people to get off the couch and go to the game) last year? They gave teams extra time to move tickets, and did some..."close enough" games.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby joejlitz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:28 am

Munboy wrote:Didn't the NFL bend the blackout rules (sell out 78 hours before kick off, or it won't be shown on TV...an attempt to get people to get off the couch and go to the game) last year? They gave teams extra time to move tickets, and did some..."close enough" games.

They've been extending deadlines to sell tickets for years. I never heard of them allowing "close enough," though.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk