"Blackout Blues" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"Blackout Blues"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: "Blackout Blues"

Postby joejlitz » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:10 pm

As much fun as I am having on Sundays, I really feel bad for DET fans right now, given that they only get to see their team for 8 weeks. It's not like they have a game or two blacked out throughout the year. It is EVERY home game. And for how many years running? That's horrible! How do you build a new generation of football fans in DET if they continue to be blacked out year after year? That makes no sense to me.

I'm glad to see the NFL revised their blackout rules, but it ain't enough.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:33 pm

joejlitz wrote:As much fun as I am having on Sundays, I really feel bad for DET fans right now, given that they only get to see their team for 8 weeks. It's not like they have a game or two blacked out throughout the year. It is EVERY home game. And for how many years running? That's horrible! How do you build a new generation of football fans in DET if they continue to be blacked out year after year? That makes no sense to me.

I'm glad to see the NFL revised their blackout rules, but it ain't enough.

last year i think we had 5/8 games blacked out...first time since they've been at Ford Field...when they were still at the Silverdome there would be occasional blackouts, but that place held 80K

this year the home opener sold out barely, i think the Thanksgiving game will as well, but i'd expect the 6 others to be blacked out

it sucks, but as long as they air an alternate game i'll get by, maybe even get some things done around the house
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:46 pm

Black out for the Raiders ;-D Hopefully they got a good game on.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby yossarian » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:37 am

It will never, ever make sense to me how the NFL thinks it's a good idea to black out the games of a struggling team. "Gee, this team doesn't even have enough support to sell out it's home games. How will we fix that? I know! Let's make it so nobody can watch them! That'll make it better!"

It doesn't take much snooping around on the internet to find sites where you can stream the games.
yossarian
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:16 am

yossarian wrote:It will never, ever make sense to me how the NFL thinks it's a good idea to black out the games of a struggling team. "Gee, this team doesn't even have enough support to sell out it's home games. How will we fix that? I know! Let's make it so nobody can watch them! That'll make it better!"

It doesn't take much snooping around on the internet to find sites where you can stream the games.

Just to illustrate how out of touch the NFL is with average fans, their spokeperson Goodell addresses this issue by saying that he is not going to change the black-out rule becuase...this is the way we always done it. That is the extent of his explaination. Not why it is beneficial, no word on why people are shying away from the NFL experience - like the over-pricing of tickets, parking, concessions to the point where the average fan finds it hard to justify or even to come up with the scratch to buy.
Goodell did offer up one solution. Games that are blacked out can be viewed on the NFL site for free after midnight tonight. ??????????????????????????????????????????????

Is he smoking crack? How many people wouldn't hear of the score or have to work the next day. Does he have any idea just how few people would do this. It is simply put: insulting. (I have to give Goodell credit that he doesn't smoke crack, and isn't an idiot, so the only thing left is that he doesn't give a darn about the agerage fan. That's insulting.)

On the plus side, here in Detroit we get to watch the ViQueens/9ers game.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:09 pm

[cough]http://www.justin.tv[/cough] search NFL
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk