First time doing an IDP league, not really sure how to draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to IDP

First time doing an IDP league, not really sure how to draft

First time doing an IDP league, not really sure how to draft

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:40 am

It's just 2 defensive players, any position (so pretty much LB and safety), the offensive scoring is standard, and theres also team defense. Here's the defense settings:

Tackle Solo 1
Tackle Assist 0.5
Sack 2
Interception 2
Fumble Recovery 2
Defensive Touchdown 4
Safety 3

Taking a glance, even the best defensive players last year (Patrick Willis, D'Qwell Jackson, Beason, Weddle, etc) only scored in the 130s. So they score less than the best team defenses, and less than your kicker, but you do need 2. So I'm thinking pick them after one of the elite defenses, but before the middle of the pack ones, but near the end of the draft, right?

Also, if anyone knows any good IDP rankings that'd be nice
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: First time doing an IDP league, not really sure how to draft

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:42 am

Nothing?
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 204BC » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:25 am

You’ve pretty much got it figured out. With the points scored by defense you will want to focus on your offense first. Fill out your offensive starting unit, get a backup RB, QB and WR (maybe even TE if you like to carry a backup for that) and an elite defensive unit if you can get an elite one, then pick up your IDP players.

There’s going to be a ton of IDP players available even after the draft. One strategy you could use would be to ignore the IDP players altogether during the draft and then afterwards sort out which two or three backup offensive players you’re willing to part with to fill those slots. I’ve never tried this myself but with only two IDP slots I might consider it.

I have my own ranking sheet that I use that I created myself but if you need one I’m pretty certain I saw one posted around here somewhere. Otherwise you can just go to NFL.com and sort out who had the most tackles back in ’08 (since tackles are the main stat for IDP players). This link should take you to the right page: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... onType=REG

This is a far from perfect list. Some of these guys are getting old, some are hurt and some are rising stars. Other things to remember are players with big upside that were hurt last season (E.J. Henderson for example) and rookies that look promising (James Lauranitis). For the most part though, the above link should work O.K., especially since the IDP side of your roster will be shallow.

Hope that helps. Good luck!!
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:46 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:It's just 2 defensive players, any position (so pretty much LB and safety), the offensive scoring is standard, and theres also team defense. Here's the defense settings:

Tackle Solo 1
Tackle Assist 0.5
Sack 2
Interception 2
Fumble Recovery 2
Defensive Touchdown 4
Safety 3

Taking a glance, even the best defensive players last year (Patrick Willis, D'Qwell Jackson, Beason, Weddle, etc) only scored in the 130s. So they score less than the best team defenses, and less than your kicker, but you do need 2. So I'm thinking pick them after one of the elite defenses, but before the middle of the pack ones, but near the end of the draft, right?

Also, if anyone knows any good IDP rankings that'd be nice

34=Sweetness wrote:Nothing?

Sorry that I didn't see this earlier Sweetness. You definitely figured it out though. I always wait on IDP's in leagues that draft them with the offensive players....ESPECIALLY since you only start 2. ;-D

How'd the draft go? :-?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby scuzfly » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:28 am

34=Sweetness wrote:It's just 2 defensive players, any position (so pretty much LB and safety), the offensive scoring is standard, and theres also team defense. Here's the defense settings:

Tackle Solo 1
Tackle Assist 0.5
Sack 2
Interception 2
Fumble Recovery 2
Defensive Touchdown 4
Safety 3

Why is a defensive TD only worth 4? A TD is a TD. I'd try and get this changed. Other than that I'd stick with Linebackers and look at who's playing each week. Urlacher didn't play much and Willis did pretty decent this week. Also look Jarred Allen and Terell Suggs. Maybe Ed Reed with interceptions being he same as fumble recovery. He's a machine! 9 interceptions (#1) last season.

Im in an IDP w/ D D DB DB and I picked up Merriman Suggs, Gamble and Nick Harper who surprised me this weekend.
scuzfly
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Got Briggs/Morrison. Pretty happy. One guy has Willis and Beason, yikes. Sort of a casual league, so there were plenty of people who either didn't understand most LBs score more than even the best D linemen, and some people who got their world screwed up by Yahoo autodraft's random IDP rankings.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:42 am

34=Sweetness wrote:and some people who got their world screwed up by Yahoo autodraft's random IDP rankings.

That got me last year! I hate yahoo for many reasons and last year I added that to the long list. It was for a league where 4 of us Cafers played against other FF sites. I waited for other owners to start taking IDP's & when I was finally ready to pick one, I realized that yahoo didn't rank their IDP's. :-t It was brutal. For the rest of the draft I kept going back & forth between FBG's IDP rankings and the draft...just trying to find high ranked IDP's that weren't already taken. I'd find one & put him in the draft queue. Man did it suck. To make it worse, it was a 20 team league & we each started 11 IDP's. 8-o

Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Return to IDP