Stafford named starter - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Stafford named starter

Moderator: Football Moderators

Stafford named starter

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:07 pm

Hey guys, they just named Stafford the starter for week one. Not sure if its cause Culpepper is hurt or if they are just using this to name Stafford the starter. I have been in the Stafford starting camp all along. I do think that we need to get a win and get it ASAP. I thought that Culpepper gave them the best chance to get that one win. With that being said i dont think you learn more watching than doing. Im just happy that we have someone to throw that ball deep to Calvin.

So you guys think more TD passes or INTS? I say its a push.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Stafford named starter

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:41 pm

latsprewell20002000 wrote:Hey guys, they just named Stafford the starter for week one. Not sure if its cause Culpepper is hurt or if they are just using this to name Stafford the starter. I have been in the Stafford starting camp all along. I do think that we need to get a win and get it ASAP. I thought that Culpepper gave them the best chance to get that one win. With that being said i dont think you learn more watching than doing. Im just happy that we have someone to throw that ball deep to Calvin.

So you guys think more TD passes or INTS? I say its a push.

yeah I would guess the numbers will end up about even.

I think it was inevitable that Stafford would start this year and Culpepper's injury didn't make Scwartz's decision any harder. From what I've seen of Stafford in the preseason he doesn't seem like a guy that is affected much by his mistakes. Let's hope he stays that way because he will be making a lot of them.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:21 am

i was listening to the radio the other day and they talked about how David Carr getting crushed behind that porus O-Line ruined him :-o
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:18 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:i was listening to the radio the other day and they talked about how David Carr getting crushed behind that porus O-Line ruined him :-o

Its the NFL version of chicken and the egg. Did placing Carr behind that line destroy him, or did he take too many sacks because he was indecisive, and was his indecisiveness come from him not having the talent to be an NFL QB?

I am a bit surprised that they went with Stafford, and I think its a mistake. Not on the same level as drafting Kalimba Edwards instead of Clinton Portis, mind you, but I think that Stafford may have been better served waiting until after he could see the intensity of a real game from the safety of the sideline. Thoughts of Cleveland and how shell-shocked Stafford seemed come directly to mind.
That said, the Saints secondary isn't exactly a hostile environment. It may help build his confidence to see K Smith running with success and Megatron open all day. (A guy can dream, can't he?)

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:50 am

I was not a fan of drafting Stafford, but we have him now and I will embrace him. The main reason I was not in favor, was having a #1 pick not be on the field and the high bust rate of #1 overall QBs. With that said, I don't have a problem with this decision. I think whatever decision Schwartz made he would/will get a lot of grief from fans. He still seems to know what he is doing (cutting Cason and uh-0 ;-D ). I think the competition was pretty close. They both have pros and cons. I feel the only way Stafford gets ready is by playing games - to start against a weak secondary, then 2 home games is not a bad way to start even if it is NO/MIN/WAS. Stafford hasn't had many pre-season snaps with both starting WRs, Pettigrew and K Smith all in the game, I think those weapons will take a lot of pressure off him trying to do everything every down.

Is Stafford going to make mistakes? Yep, but I'm pretty sure Culpepper would make mistakes for us also whether it is not being able to throw it downfield or a costly fumble. This kid seems like he bounces back pretty quick from a bad play. I approve the decision ;-D :-B ;-) :-b
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:51 am

moochman wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i was listening to the radio the other day and they talked about how David Carr getting crushed behind that porus O-Line ruined him :-o

Its the NFL version of chicken and the egg. Did placing Carr behind that line destroy him, or did he take too many sacks because he was indecisive, and was his indecisiveness come from him not having the talent to be an NFL QB?

I am a bit surprised that they went with Stafford, and I think its a mistake. Not on the same level as drafting Kalimba Edwards instead of Clinton Portis, mind you, but I think that Stafford may have been better served waiting until after he could see the intensity of a real game from the safety of the sideline. Thoughts of Cleveland and how shell-shocked Stafford seemed come directly to mind.
That said, the Saints secondary isn't exactly a hostile environment. It may help build his confidence to see K Smith running with success and Megatron open all day. (A guy can dream, can't he?)

true true...it just has me worried is all, especially with some of the tough D's we face early...as a Lions fan i'm not expeting him to pan out anyway :-/
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:07 pm

Dan, just harken back to Kitna in the second half vs Green Bay or Culpepper vs Minnesota (methinks) both made inexcusable turnovers. I would rather Culpepper got the nod, but was under no illusion that he is not a turn over machine. Plus, he had a chance to beat out a rookie who threw an INT every game and couldn't do it. I think maybe NimRod's don't make mistakes, game managment offence may have brainwashed Duante beyond repair.
So just look at Stafford's starting as a clear signal that The Schwartz wants a change in O philosphy, instead of Lord Ford insisting that 40Millen dollar Matt start.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Santacruzer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:59 am

From the limited preseason games I saw, Stafford at least looked downfield and was more likely to make some plays, while C-pep looked like the dump-off machine, playing too conservative. Lets be honest here, how high are the expectations for Stafford at this point? He can throw 35 INTs and still have sympathy from everyone because he plays for Detroit and has more built-in excuses than Favre for a bad season.

Just like his Top 10 list from he delivered on Letterman; "If I win one game, I'm a Hero!"
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dream_017 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:46 am

Pretty classy ;-D

CPep wrote:Now that the debate is over and the decision has been made regarding the starting quarterback in Detroit, I would like to make the following statement today so that tomorrow I can put all of my energy into helping our team prepare for our opponent.

"The reason I agreed to restructure my contract in order to stay in Detroit was because I knew that I would have a chance to have a full off-season for the first time in over three years. I also knew that I would have an opportunity to finally compete against whoever the Lions brought in whether via free agency, trade or the draft. When the Lions selected Matthew Stafford first overall I was excited.

"My position is that if you want to be the best you have to beat the best. Coach Schwartz gave me a fair opportunity to compete for the starting job and now the decision has been made that Matt is the best quarterback in Detroit. I support the decision and I am ready to settle into my role.

"Matt is a great guy and a talented young quarterback. I am confident that he will lead this team to plenty of victories in Detroit for a long time to come. I look forward to helping Matt in that mission in any way that I can this year. My role as his back-up is not to be seen unless needed and not to be heard from unless required. The Lions organization has treated me with respect and class and they can expect the same from me.

Not sure why I can't get the link to work in the quote, but here it is:
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=489617
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:47 am

dream_017 wrote:Pretty classy ;-D

CPep wrote:Now that the debate is over and the decision has been made regarding the starting quarterback in Detroit, I would like to make the following statement today so that tomorrow I can put all of my energy into helping our team prepare for our opponent.

"The reason I agreed to restructure my contract in order to stay in Detroit was because I knew that I would have a chance to have a full off-season for the first time in over three years. I also knew that I would have an opportunity to finally compete against whoever the Lions brought in whether via free agency, trade or the draft. When the Lions selected Matthew Stafford first overall I was excited.

"My position is that if you want to be the best you have to beat the best. Coach Schwartz gave me a fair opportunity to compete for the starting job and now the decision has been made that Matt is the best quarterback in Detroit. I support the decision and I am ready to settle into my role.

"Matt is a great guy and a talented young quarterback. I am confident that he will lead this team to plenty of victories in Detroit for a long time to come. I look forward to helping Matt in that mission in any way that I can this year. My role as his back-up is not to be seen unless needed and not to be heard from unless required. The Lions organization has treated me with respect and class and they can expect the same from me.

Not sure why I can't get the link to work in the quote, but here it is:
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=489617

yeah i heard that on the radio yesterday ;-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Detroit Lions