Sleeper WR - Laurent Robinson (Rams) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sleeper WR - Laurent Robinson (Rams)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sleeper WR - Laurent Robinson (Rams)

Postby ampant » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:14 pm

3rd round draft pick had over 400 yards as a backup in his Rookie season with the Falcons. Got injured last year, and is now the #2 WR for the Rams, opposite Donnie Avery. Plays in one of the weakest divisions vs Fantasy WRs, on a team that will arguable be behind a lot, and should receive lots of garbage points. Had a fantastic training camp, led the Rams in preseason receptions in limited time, and every report on him has been positive. Played his way to the #2 spot, after being brought over in a trade by a member of the Ram's staff who knew him from ATL.

A few reports.

http://www.examiner.com/x-15208-Illinoi ... -an-impact
http://www.bnd.com/rams/story/895636.html
http://www.examiner.com/x-4388-St-Louis ... -Rams-2013

I dropped Nate Washington to pick him up (who is hurt with a hammy anyways, and won't necessarily be the starting WR on a run -1st team in a tough division).

If you are in deeper leagues or are looking to burn a roster spot on a flyer, I think he could be an 7-800-yard + guy potentially, with 4-6 scores. Donnie Avery was a nobody last year until he broke out. Now Avery will be drawing the coverage. IF SJax can stay healthy it will open up the passing game for the Rams. There's onw guy every year who seems to come from nowhere to produce solid fantasy #s. Maybe Robinson won't, but all the factors seem to be there.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Sleeper WR - Laurent Robinson (Rams)

Postby ampant » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:30 am

I am gonna go out on a limb and say that Robinson is going to start off the year with a good game this sunday in SEA, who was one of the league's worst vs WRs last season. He'll do well regardless of whether Bulger or Boller are under center at QB. At leat 70 yards and 4 receptions and 35% chance to score a td.

(I'm even starting him this week over Cotchery and Muhammed, Cotch is going to see plenty of HOU's Dunta Robinson, which won't help his performance).
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:13 pm

Yes. ;-D He's got the talent and has played really well this pre-season. I live in St. Louis and have watched him a lot here in the last several months and frankly, he's got the 2nd spot locked up easy. Burton has shown flashes and also has talent, but Robinson has outplayed him by far from what I've seen and clearly what the coaching staff has seen. Only trouble I have with him is that this is definitely going to be a run-first offense, they aren't gonna throw the ball too terribly much and when they do he'll be at best the third option. Sjax > Avery > Robinson > McMichael. Good points though, he could be alright.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ampant » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:15 am

Here's hopin'. ;-D You never know until they play the games, but after tonight's game it looks like dropping Nate Washington for him didn't hurt me.

I just figure the matchup is right. The Rams will likely be behind. SEA will be keying on SJax. Avery's banged up, and if he re-aggravates his ankle or is slow at all, it will definitely boost Robinson's chances even further.

It's also just a strong gut feeling. Since nobody seems to be talking about him in the cafe, I thought I might throw it out there and maybe be the 1st one on the wagon. B-)

Good to hear insights from a local fan though. Thanks for chiming in. Ever since I've keyed on him, I've been looking up the local press in St.Louis and I have yet to hear something negative.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:11 am

how many leagues is this guy even available in that you play in? He was drafted in all 4 of my leagues on my Yahoo ID, my one keeper league on ESPN, all of which being 12 teams or bigger (12, 12, 14, 16 and 16 to be exact) and i think the latest that he was available was in the first 12 teamer where he got drafted in the 3rd to the last round. I think Robinson will be in for a very nice year. Nice sleeper and if hes available id advise picking him up...

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ampant » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:25 pm

Well, I hadn't seen anybody on the cafe talking about him when I posted this thread, and according to ESPN, he is owned only in 1.6% of leagues. That will probably change after this weekend. B-) I started him today and was rewarded with a solid performance. ;-D My prediction was pretty close, and he was targeted in the end-zone at least once that I saw.

I probably won't start him every week, but he'll see plenty of garbage time yardage this year, and plenty of weak defenses. With the Ram's continuing inability to run the ball and crappy defensive play, Avery will draw the toughest coverage and Robinson should see more games like today.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eagles21 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:43 pm

ampant wrote:Well, I hadn't seen anybody on the cafe talking about him when I posted this thread, and according to ESPN, he is owned only in 1.6% of leagues. That will probably change after this weekend. B-) I started him today and was rewarded with a solid performance. ;-D My prediction was pretty close, and he was targeted in the end-zone at least once that I saw.

I probably won't start him every week, but he'll see plenty of garbage time yardage this year, and plenty of weak defenses. With the Ram's continuing inability to run the ball and crappy defensive play, Avery will draw the toughest coverage and Robinson should see more games like today.

I started him in my dynasty league too. ;-D

Of coarse, my team is terrible, which is one of the reasons why I had to start him. I also started Marc Bulger. %-6
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ampant » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:02 am

A few stats . . . Only 10 WRs were targeted more than Laurent Robinson in week 1. Since the Rams will be behinds quite a bit and throwing a lot, I expect at the most conservative he will likely remain in the top 20 for targets for the remainder of the season. Not bad for a guy that is sitting around still in the vast majority of leagues.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ampant » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:35 pm

Started Robinson again this week as my WR3 over Josh Morgan, Micheal Clayton and Mark Clayton . . . again rewarded.

Targeted 8 times, with 6 receptions 54 yards and a score. This guy is waiver wire gold so far in PPR leagues. Yes the Rams suck, but he pulled in over 1/3rd of his teams' completions and yards. Still only owned in 1.4% of ESPN leagues.

This guy will be in my starting lineup all year providing consistency from my WR3 position in my PPR league. Through 2 games he's got 11 receptions for 141 yards and a score.

Lovin' it. ;-D
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sobore » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:05 pm

ampant wrote:Started Robinson again this week as my WR3 over Josh Morgan, Micheal Clayton and Mark Clayton . . . again rewarded.

Targeted 8 times, with 6 receptions 54 yards and a score. This guy is waiver wire gold so far in PPR leagues. Yes the Rams suck, but he pulled in over 1/3rd of his teams' completions and yards. Still only owned in 1.4% of ESPN leagues.

This guy will be in my starting lineup all year providing consistency from my WR3 position in my PPR league. Through 2 games he's got 11 receptions for 141 yards and a score.

Lovin' it. ;-D

Could not agree more! He is now my WR3.
sobore
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk