The MADDEN CURSE lives on! (with pics) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The MADDEN CURSE lives on! (with pics)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The MADDEN CURSE lives on!

Postby Matthias » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:37 pm

stomperrob wrote:What about the injuries to Donnie Avery, Andre Brown, Chaz Schilens, Cornelius Ingram, Brandon Jones, William Moore, Harry Douglas, Bob Sanders, Marcus Trufant, Nnamdi Asumugha, Stewart Bradley, etc, etc, etc...

Obviously there's also a curse on players who don't appear on the Madden cover - what other possible explanation could there be???

They were all .jpg's on Madden's desktop. Duh!

Violent sport or no, the Curse is an incredibly low contingent probability to be happening as chance.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby iky » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:38 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
iky wrote:
waterproof wrote:Fitz also has the Super Bowl (loser) curse. Double whammy.

what the hell is the Super Bowl curse? Did u just making it up?

Teams that lose the Super Bowl have had generally crappy seasons following their losses, at least for the last few years.

Uhm, considering all the crappy seasons Cardinals have had they've made up for crappy seasons for half a century ahead.

soty is tha man!
iky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:38 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
iky wrote:
waterproof wrote:Fitz also has the Super Bowl (loser) curse. Double whammy.

what the hell is the Super Bowl curse? Did u just making it up?

Teams that lose the Super Bowl have had generally crappy seasons following their losses, at least for the last few years.

Here's the past decade of Superbowl losers and their following years' record:

1998 season: Atlanta Falcons (1999: 5-11)
1999 season: Tennessee Titans (2000: 13-3)
2000 season: New York Giants (2001: 7-9)
2001 season: St. Louis Rams (2002: 7-9)
2002 season: Oakland Raiders (2003: 4-12)
2003 season: Carolina Panthers (2004: 7-9)
2004 season: Philadelphia Eagles (2005: 6-10)
2005 season: Seattle Seahawks (2006: 9-7)
2006 season: Chicago Bears (2007: 7-9)
2007 season: New England Patriots (2008: 11-5)

There were three outliers in this "trend": The 2000 Titans, the 2006 Seahawks, and the 2008 Patriots who had a successful season and missed the playoffs due to a weird tiebreaker.

So it isn't ironclad, but only two teams over the past decade have returned to the playoffs after losing the Superbowl.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby iky » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:11 pm

biju wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:
iky wrote:what the hell is the Super Bowl curse? Did u just making it up?

There were three outliers in this "trend": The 2000 Titans, the 2006 Seahawks, and the 2008 Patriots who had a successful season and missed the playoffs due to a weird tiebreaker.

So it isn't ironclad, but only two teams over the past decade have returned to the playoffs after losing the Superbowl.

It's interesting how much time people spend in analyzing stats. From point of view of just Cardinals fan in particular I'll say this, us going 9-7 and miraculously making it to the Super Bowl is a blessing itself. Making it to the play-offs again this year would be a happy ending satisfactory season to me. With that said, I find this "Super Bowl loosers" thing not too reasonable because in NFL it's very hard to dominate and repeat Championship runs. So what would you consider a failure for Arizona this following year? Record much less than 9-7? In my opinion even 10-6 would be considered as bad season.

Anyways, it's hard to believe in curses and trends. Superstitions are for girls. But like I said earlier, I'll make coupla sacrifices to NFL gods for my team to beat your beloved Seahawks two times this year.

soty is tha man!
iky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:33 pm

iky wrote: Superstitions are for girls.

Tell that to the thousands of pro athletes who believe in them....what girls :-t
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby biju » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:36 pm

iky wrote:
biju wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:

It's interesting how much time people spend in analyzing stats. From point of view of just Cardinals fan in particular I'll say this, us going 9-7 and miraculously making it to the Super Bowl is a blessing itself. Making it to the play-offs again this year would be a happy ending satisfactory season to me. With that said, I find this "Super Bowl loosers" thing not too reasonable because in NFL it's very hard to dominate and repeat Championship runs. So what would you consider a failure for Arizona this following year? Record much less than 9-7? In my opinion even 10-6 would be considered as bad season.

Anyways, it's hard to believe in curses and trends. Superstitions are for girls. But like I said earlier, I'll make coupla sacrifices to NFL gods for my team to beat your beloved Seahawks two times this year.

Huh. I didn't say anything about the Cards but clearly because I sent the information found on wikipedia and I'm a Seahawks fan you got riled up. If you're going to get riled up, get riled up at this:

Kurt Warner is going to age before your very eyes like the bad guy at the end of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" and simply turn to dust. Larry Fitzgerald will suck. Anquan Boldin will get hurt yet again. Steve Breaston trying to catch passes from Matt Leinart will resemble the first 10 minutes of "2001: A Space Odyssey". Tim Hightower will run 2.9 yards per carry. Beanie Wells decides he'd rather crochet instead of play football. Whisenhunt will take a 'whiz and dump' on the 2009 season. Phoenix homes will lose 20% more of their value. Your dog will run away. Milk will go up by 43 cents in your local grocery store. It will smell like someone farted on your bed. Your beloved Cardinals won't win the NFC West in 2009 and they will return back to the mediocrity your entire state is used to.

Be prepared to get steamrolled this season by every team who knows you guys didn't belong in that game.

:-D

I love division rivalry. Welcome back football! I've missed you so much...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby iky » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:50 pm

biju wrote:
iky wrote:
biju wrote:

Huh. I didn't say anything about the Cards but clearly because I sent the information found on wikipedia and I'm a Seahawks fan you got riled up. If you're going to get riled up, get riled up at this:

Kurt Warner is going to age before your very eyes like the bad guy at the end of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" and simply turn to dust. Larry Fitzgerald will suck. Anquan Boldin will get hurt yet again. Steve Breaston trying to catch passes from Matt Leinart will resemble the first 10 minutes of "2001: A Space Odyssey". Tim Hightower will run 2.9 yards per carry. Beanie Wells decides he'd rather crochet instead of play football. Whisenhunt will take a 'whiz and dump' on the 2009 season. Phoenix homes will lose 20% more of their value. Your dog will run away. Milk will go up by 43 cents in your local grocery store. It will smell like someone farted on your bed. Your beloved Cardinals won't win the NFC West in 2009 and they will return back to the mediocrity your entire state is used to.

Be prepared to get steamrolled this season by every team who knows you guys didn't belong in that game.

:-D

I love division rivalry. Welcome back football! I've missed you so much...

You're too old and wise to get mad that quick. :-b
I haven't even taken any shots at the Stinkhawks yet and you getting all worked up. I know weed up in Seattle is not as good as here in LA but you might want to start puffing and chillax just a little. Afterall we don't want to loose a valuable Cafe member to a cardiac arrest. Just because you're lovely team is fading away faster than Tim Hasselbecks receeding hairline doesn't mean that you going to turn around this season and win the division. You're dreams are pretty vivid, you even figured out the inflation, I think you should start "biju's crystal ball" thread. All of the guys believing in curses can follow your predictions there. Especially ones about to hit the foreclosure, cuz I doubt they can get any good football advise

,,i,, ,,i,,
Last edited by iky on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soty is tha man!
iky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby iky » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:50 pm

aaawall91 wrote:
iky wrote: Superstitions are for girls.

Tell that to the thousands of pro athletes who believe in them....what girls :-t

I'm twittering right now.

soty is tha man!
iky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Matthias » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:51 pm

biju wrote:Kurt Warner is going to age before your very eyes like the bad guy at the end of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" and simply turn to dust. Larry Fitzgerald will suck. Anquan Boldin will get hurt yet again. Steve Breaston trying to catch passes from Matt Leinart will resemble the first 10 minutes of "2001: A Space Odyssey". Tim Hightower will run 2.9 yards per carry. Beanie Wells decides he'd rather crochet instead of play football. Whisenhunt will take a 'whiz and dump' on the 2009 season. Phoenix homes will lose 20% more of their value. Your dog will run away. Milk will go up by 43 cents in your local grocery store. It will smell like someone farted on your bed. Your beloved Cardinals won't win the NFC West in 2009 and they will return back to the mediocrity your entire state is used to.

That's awesome.

I would chime in: At the end of every load of wash, you will have 38 socks without a matching pair. You will miss one spot every time you shave and you will spend your days plucking madly to get them out. You will never have correct change. The host of your favorite sports show will be replaced by Denny Green. The Bidwells will decide that they've been too lavish. Your cornerstone fantasy RBs will all be game-time decisions. On football Sunday, all your beer will turn out to be skunky. You never will find out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop and the question will gnaw you to your grave.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby iky » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:56 pm

Matthias wrote:
biju wrote:Kurt Warner is going to age before your very eyes like the bad guy at the end of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" and simply turn to dust. Larry Fitzgerald will suck. Anquan Boldin will get hurt yet again. Steve Breaston trying to catch passes from Matt Leinart will resemble the first 10 minutes of "2001: A Space Odyssey". Tim Hightower will run 2.9 yards per carry. Beanie Wells decides he'd rather crochet instead of play football. Whisenhunt will take a 'whiz and dump' on the 2009 season. Phoenix homes will lose 20% more of their value. Your dog will run away. Milk will go up by 43 cents in your local grocery store. It will smell like someone farted on your bed. Your beloved Cardinals won't win the NFC West in 2009 and they will return back to the mediocrity your entire state is used to.

That's awesome.

I would chime in: At the end of every load of wash, you will have 38 socks without a matching pair. You will miss one spot every time you shave and you will spend your days plucking madly to get them out. You will never have correct change. The host of your favorite sports show will be replaced by Denny Green. The Bidwells will decide that they've been too lavish. Your cornerstone fantasy RBs will all be game-time decisions. On football Sunday, all your beer will turn out to be skunky. You never will find out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop and the question will gnaw you to your grave.

Right, gang up on a Cardinal fan. You shouldn't waste your funny comments on pathetic fans like me. Write a book with all these lame jokes you thought of, it will be a very fine toilet reading I bet.

soty is tha man!
iky
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk