The MADDEN CURSE lives on! (with pics) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The MADDEN CURSE lives on! (with pics)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The MADDEN CURSE lives on!

Postby DanielAbdel » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:34 am

This is hands down the best thread on this site..and for the record,

Cardinals | Boldin questionable for Week 1

Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:41:47 -0700

Updating a previous report, Darren Urban, of AZCardinals.com, reports Arizona Cardinals WR Anquan Boldin (hamstring) is listed as questionable for the team's Week 1 game.

I know the dude is tough as nails but he pretty much said himself if he doesn't feel like he's 100%, he's not gonna play.."It's only Week 1," Boldin said. "I've got to be smart. You don't want to risk getting injured and being out four weeks." Boldin hasn't fully practiced in three weeks.

I'd say there's about a 15% chance he'll play. Just my 2cents.
DanielAbdel
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:07 am

And I'm the Easter Bunny.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:10 am

stomperrob wrote:What about the injuries to Donnie Avery, Andre Brown, Chaz Schilens, Cornelius Ingram, Brandon Jones, William Moore, Harry Douglas, Bob Sanders, Marcus Trufant, Nnamdi Asumugha, Stewart Bradley, etc, etc, etc...

Obviously there's also a curse on players who don't appear on the Madden cover - what other possible explanation could there be??? It's not like football is a violent game or anthing! There's just no reason players should be getting hurt in such a passive, non-agressive sport.

flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:01 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
stomperrob wrote:What about the injuries to Donnie Avery, Andre Brown, Chaz Schilens, Cornelius Ingram, Brandon Jones, William Moore, Harry Douglas, Bob Sanders, Marcus Trufant, Nnamdi Asumugha, Stewart Bradley, etc, etc, etc...

Obviously there's also a curse on players who don't appear on the Madden cover - what other possible explanation could there be??? It's not like football is a violent game or anthing! There's just no reason players should be getting hurt in such a passive, non-agressive sport.

You guys would probably ruin Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, too. They're real.
:-b
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:58 am

stomperrob wrote:
petedog9 wrote:I have a buddy who is a Raider fan and he told me today: " I hope they put Al Davis on the cover next year..." :-D

I made one with Matt Millen last year and it worked!!!!

:-D

I can hear the Krypt Keeper now "I play Madden on my overhead projectah."

For those who are worried about the Cards and the Super Bowl curse, what usually topples the teams who lose the big game is the off season distractions and satisfaction that leads to these teams not being focused for the new season. They haven't prepared as well and don't execute as well. So ask yourself if you have heard any rumblings about lack of focus this year and were they firing on all cylindars this exhibition season?
Answer No and No.
Warner has already said that many players weren't prepared at the start of camp and lacked focus and the Cards didn't exactly light it up in the eX-games. (exhibitioni, preseason, the farciacal scrimmages the NFL makes us pay in full for)
Early indicators are not good for Zona. I hope they surprise and recapture their game of last year. It was a pleasure to watch.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:35 am

petedog9 wrote:BA HAHAHAHA!! Great Job Rob!! ;-D ;-D

I am gonna steal that and send it to my Buddy!!

It's all yours! For the sake of long-suffering Raiders fans everywhere, I only pray that it works! ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby stomperrob » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:45 am

DanielAbdel wrote:This is hands down the best thread on this site..and for the record,

Cardinals | Boldin questionable for Week 1

Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:41:47 -0700

Updating a previous report, Darren Urban, of AZCardinals.com, reports Arizona Cardinals WR Anquan Boldin (hamstring) is listed as questionable for the team's Week 1 game.

I know the dude is tough as nails but he pretty much said himself if he doesn't feel like he's 100%, he's not gonna play.."It's only Week 1," Boldin said. "I've got to be smart. You don't want to risk getting injured and being out four weeks." Boldin hasn't fully practiced in three weeks.

I'd say there's about a 15% chance he'll play. Just my 2cents.

Well John Madden is 73 years old this year and that's ancient, even for a football god. I think his aim is waning, and in casting down his lightning bolts from atop football's Mt Olympus this year, he missed the mark and accidently hit Boldin instead of Fitz!!!

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Purple1 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:31 pm

Heres my thing with the MADDEN CURSE. I believe in it to an extent. Theres somthing there but I don't believe its a curse of any kind.

Its simply a matter of the people that end up on the cover almost always have had an outstanding season the year prior to appearing on the cover. One of the things I've learned in my many years of fantasy football is to generally stay away from guys that were super studs the year before because they almost always never repeat the following year, the law of averages kicks in and they either get hurt and under perfom severly or just go back to thier career average.

Remember back in 2004 when Manning broke the TD pass record and the following year everyone said he was a lock for at least 40+ td passes? In 2005 he went right back down to his career average 27 TD's.

Brady 51 TD passes in 2007, then in 2008 he plays less than a quarter of football did everyone blame the Curse of the Mangini spy gate scandle?

This is why last year I wasn't targeting guys like Brady, Moss, Braylon Edwards and this year I wasn't targeting Fitz, AJ, Rivers. Fitz will be lucky to crack the top ten this year and its not because he's on the cover of Madden, I'd be saying the exact same thing about him if it was just Troy on the cover alone. Its because Fitz, Boldin and Warner were all palying at such a high level last year theres no way they can all do it again this year, history has proven this time and time again.
Purple1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Carnac » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Great thread. Enjoyed reading about the curse. It hit me with Faulk a few years ago. Haven't picked anyone on the cover since in my main league.
Golf nut
Carnac
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:35 pm

Carnac wrote:Great thread. Enjoyed reading about the curse. It hit me with Faulk a few years ago. Haven't picked anyone on the cover since in my main league.

Fitz went undrafted in my main money league. ;-7 :-b ;-) :-B

flotsamnjetsam

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk