The MADDEN CURSE lives on! (with pics) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The MADDEN CURSE lives on! (with pics)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The MADDEN CURSE lives on!

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:52 pm

stomperrob wrote:What about the injuries to Donnie Avery, Andre Brown, Chaz Schilens, Cornelius Ingram, Brandon Jones, William Moore, Harry Douglas, Bob Sanders, Marcus Trufant, Nnamdi Asumugha, Stewart Bradley, etc, etc, etc...

Obviously there's also a curse on players who don't appear on the Madden cover - what other possible explanation could there be??? It's not like football is a violent game or anthing! There's just no reason players should be getting hurt in such a passive, non-agressive sport.

For 8 years in a row players on the cover of Madden have suffered the worst injuries/seasons of their careers. Let's just say that an average player plays for about 8 years.

The odds of them having their worst season/injury on the same year they were on the cover of Madden is 1 in 8.

The odds of this happening 8 times in a row is rougly 1 in 134 million.

Just sayin' ;)
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:41 pm

The Madden Curse became a very haunting reality for me when last seasons cover was released. I remember when it was announced, "Brett Favre on the Cover" I thought, 'finally, an end to this thing' but i wouldnt dare say it aloud, as any slight mentioning of its demise would only re-awake the beast, more hungry and vengeful than before. I could only hope that the ignorant media would share my same fear but of course, numerous sites and magazines reported "a retired Favre on the cover, i guess that puts an end to the Madden Curse" or something of that nature. Almost taunting or chastizing the Curse only making it more and more angry. For those of you 'skeptics', believe me, the Madden Curse is a very real truth and once a season it must feed on the innocent careers of our NFL players. This season, the Curse was hungrier than ever and requested two souls to feast on, two unsuspecting athletes, two players pain and grief, and he was granted his two superstars. Make no mistake about it, those of you thinking that Palamalu's pain and suffering is enough for the Curse to rest until next season are dead wrong... the Madden curse is hungrier than ever after writers pissed it off last season. The Curse has no favorites and plays no sides, if hes hungry... actually, when hes hungry the food is there, right on the cover... every single season!
Last edited by NYMetsIn2k4 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
12 Team .5 PPR Money League
1st Place 8-4 (1456.70 Pts)

QB Schaub
WR RWayne
WR Driver
RB DWill
RB RGrant
TE VDavis
W/R Mendenhall
K Tynes
DEF WW
BENCH TJHoush,DMC,Winslow,DAvery,Arizonas D (for Playoffs)
NYMetsIn2k4
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:33 pm

stomperrob wrote:It's all yours! For the sake of long-suffering Raiders fans everywhere, I only pray that it works! ;-D

Stomper - your sig - was Mendenhall and Sweed on Madden's cover, too? Because I didn't see much of either of them on Thursday night. }:-)
;-7
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby stomperrob » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:33 am

joejlitz wrote:
stomperrob wrote:It's all yours! For the sake of long-suffering Raiders fans everywhere, I only pray that it works! ;-D

Stomper - your sig - was Mendenhall and Sweed on Madden's cover, too? Because I didn't see much of either of them on Thursday night. }:-)
;-7

Lol, may have to wait on those two a little longer I guess! Mayhaps I should switch back to the Timmons & Woodley one?
:-? :-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby H00KemH02NS » Sat May 15, 2010 12:06 pm

The end is nigh for Drew. Do NOT draft him in redraft leagues, people.

H00KemH02NS
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: The MADDEN CURSE lives on! (with pics)

Postby biju » Sat May 15, 2010 2:35 pm

Is it already this time of the year? :-t

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3168612#p3168612

The curse is cursed, it doesn't "work".
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby LS2throwed » Sun May 16, 2010 1:12 pm

What happened to Brett Favre and Larry Fitzgerald on the cover again? Oh yea, Favre bruised his ribs and Fitz came out for 2 quarters lol...Some people just will not let this go.

Now if Brees doesn't have a career season, gets nicked up for a few plays, or the Saints miss the playoffs it's all the Madden Curse!!! Never mind that the NFC South has been a revolving door of worst to first in the division lately and it's pretty normal for the division winner and basement cellar team to reverse the next season, but as long as we can find any little consolation for what the Madden Curse could have done let's stick to it!!
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby bagobonez » Fri May 21, 2010 8:34 am

LS2throwed wrote:What happened to Brett Favre and Larry Fitzgerald on the cover again? Oh yea, Favre bruised his ribs and Fitz came out for 2 quarters lol...Some people just will not let this go.

Favre had one of his worst seasons with the Jets after he was on the cover, and you failed to mention that Polamalu was also on the Madden 10 cover and missed several games with injury. Fitzgerald had a sub-par year by all accounts as well, although he wasn't injured.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Peyton Hillis chosen for Madden cover

Postby lacunacoiler » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:41 pm

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 27, 2011, 4:58 PM EDT
Browns' Hillis is taken down by Steelers' Foote, Timmons and Harrison during the third quarter of their NFL football game in Cleveland Reuters

Peyton Hillis has been chosen for the cover of the Madden ’12 video game, beating out Michael Vick in the final round of fan voting.

“It means a lot to me and my family,” Hillis said. “I just want to say thank you.”

A year ago, Hillis on the Madden cover would have sounded like a joke: Hillis was shipped from Denver to Cleveland last offseason as part of the Brady Quinn trade, and it wasn’t even a sure thing that Hillis would make the Browns’ roster.

Hillis didn’t just make the roster, he became the Browns’ go-to player, carrying 270 times for 1,177 yards and 11 touchdowns and catching another 61 passes for 477 yards and two more touchdowns.

And now Hillis is the public face of one of the most prominent consumer products associated with the NFL. In a year, he’s gone from little-known role player to bona fide star.

time to downgrade Peyton Hillis on your draft boards ladies and gents... Also don't forget to trade him away on your dynasty/keeper teams :-D :-D ...
lacunacoiler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Peyton Hillis chosen for Madden cover

Postby joejlitz » Thu May 19, 2011 11:12 am

lacunacoiler wrote:
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 27, 2011, 4:58 PM EDT
Browns' Hillis is taken down by Steelers' Foote, Timmons and Harrison during the third quarter of their NFL football game in Cleveland Reuters

Peyton Hillis has been chosen for the cover of the Madden ’12 video game, beating out Michael Vick in the final round of fan voting.

“It means a lot to me and my family,” Hillis said. “I just want to say thank you.”

A year ago, Hillis on the Madden cover would have sounded like a joke: Hillis was shipped from Denver to Cleveland last offseason as part of the Brady Quinn trade, and it wasn’t even a sure thing that Hillis would make the Browns’ roster.

Hillis didn’t just make the roster, he became the Browns’ go-to player, carrying 270 times for 1,177 yards and 11 touchdowns and catching another 61 passes for 477 yards and two more touchdowns.

And now Hillis is the public face of one of the most prominent consumer products associated with the NFL. In a year, he’s gone from little-known role player to bona fide star.

time to downgrade Peyton Hillis on your draft boards ladies and gents... Also don't forget to trade him away on your dynasty/keeper teams :-D :-D ...

Wow! Peyton Hillis for the cover of Madden, huh?
Quick trivia question 1...when was the last white player the Madden cover boy?
Quick trivia question 2...When was the last white Non-QB the Madden cover boy? (Never? O:-) :-? )
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk