Slowest its been during a week 1 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Slowest its been during a week 1

Moderator: Football Moderators

Slowest its been during a week 1

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:54 am

Normally by now, the Cafe has topics from today getting bumped off the front page. It's week 1, and there's plenty of topics with last posts from 3-4 days ago that are still on the first page. What happened to the FFC? I wasn't going to think it was dying, but now it seems that we are much slower than we used to be. I heard a bunch of members left for some other forum, but I miss this place being really active. It's becoming less useful for advice and discussion since the feedback seems much lower.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Slowest its been during a week 1

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:01 pm

I blame it on the recession.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:21 pm

There are alot of old vets no longer here or that don't post very much. Homeless, GP, VHawk, aww, slowkidz, Plindsey, mercerboy, nittanylions, cwebb, lushcrush, kashikis, JayM09, chaindog, nero, DUKE, hayesb, canadian seahawk, cupertino, cornbreadmaxwell and more. I know a few of them had a falling out with site admins here and left to form their own forums. I think alot of people come and go.

The other thing to remember is that there have been a ton of other forums created within the cafe to prevent leftovers from being inundated with posts. If you go on the start/sit forum and post a new thread, it'll be off the front page in an hour or 2. And I think as a veteran, if you have some time, it is important to go there and pitch in on responding to questions about rosters, starting and sitting, and what not or people will go elsewhere for their answers. Helping others just promotes more people helping as well.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:37 pm

I usually swing by there once a day or so.

I just miss the general football talk of leftovers being a catchall for general overall strategy and football discussion. Roster rating/trade questions get boring after a while.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Matthias » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:23 pm

I blame it on a number of things, some of which have already been pointed out in the off-season thread of whether or not the Cafe was dying, or whatever it was.

1) Too many forums. Sure, it looks great from an admin perspective, but it's confusing as heck from a user one.

2) Separately but relatedly, the non-prominence of leftovers. I don't care how the different forums get sorted right now, but whatever it is, the Leftovers should be put at the top. And made bold. And red font. In 24 point. And given a better name. Any discussion worth having should almost always happen here, so it doesn't make sense to make it one of the pack.

3) Low prominence on Google. The Cafe is in bad need of an SEO. When you look for "fantasy football" I think the Cafe shows up on the second page of results. It should get itself into the first page, in the top ten.

4) Increasing bureacratization of the Cafe. Giving people flags for behaving badly is fine, but personally I find the whole "Friendliness Meter" thing just obnoxious. As is the insider jokes that sometimes float around here; they're fine if you understand them, but they limit the audience to people already here. Ditto somewhat for the icons and, quite frankly, for the post counts. IMO they should both be dropped, or at least removed from the display. Who cares how many thousands of times you've typed, "Start Ocho Cinco, Sit Anthony Gonzalez". If people know what they're talking about, then it will come through of its own right, and not because this is their first or ten thousandth post here.

5) An increasing drive on the part of the major websites to make themselves into the "fantasy source"; this one is largely out of the Cafe's control, but it is free and does have good insights so it should be able to stand up on its own two feet.

It's a bit crazy; fantasy football is more popular than ever yet the Cafe does seem the slowest that I remember it.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:26 pm

By the way: this is posted in the wrong forum.

It should be in one of the sub-forums of Cafe Home / Help Center / The Cafe As It Could Be. %-6
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Slayer Rules » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:10 pm

Matthias wrote:By the way: this is posted in the wrong forum.

It should be in one of the sub-forums of Cafe Home / Help Center / The Cafe As It Could Be. %-6

LMAO
Slayer Rules
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:11 pm

Azrael wrote:There are alot of old vets no longer here or that don't post very much. Homeless, GP, VHawk, aww, slowkidz, Plindsey, mercerboy, nittanylions, cwebb, lushcrush, kashikis, JayM09, chaindog, nero, DUKE, hayesb, canadian seahawk, cupertino, cornbreadmaxwell and more. I know a few of them had a falling out with site admins here and left to form their own forums. I think alot of people come and go.

The other thing to remember is that there have been a ton of other forums created within the cafe to prevent leftovers from being inundated with posts. If you go on the start/sit forum and post a new thread, it'll be off the front page in an hour or 2. And I think as a veteran, if you have some time, it is important to go there and pitch in on responding to questions about rosters, starting and sitting, and what not or people will go elsewhere for their answers. Helping others just promotes more people helping as well.

i agree the start and sit and DTKW forums are buzzing...i try to help out when i can but i get burnt out on that stuff fairly quicly. i cant recall week 1 leftovers activity from the past years, but it seems like it usually picks up Monday of Week 2 when people get Frisman Jackson Feaver or ZOMG...PLAYER X IS A BUST!!!! threads going

i do agree things might be a bit too scattered though...i wouldnt mind seeing the Sleepers and Predictions forums just be asimilated in to leftovers, but everything else i think works the way it is
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby waterproof » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:22 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i wouldnt mind seeing the Sleepers and Predictions forums just be asimilated in to leftovers

agreed ;-D
waterproof
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle Eye

Postby bungle613 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:35 pm

waterproof wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i wouldnt mind seeing the Sleepers and Predictions forums just be asimilated in to leftovers

agreed ;-D

As you can see from the new headings things are happening and will continue to change. I can't say what direction it will actually go in but ideas have been put forward to admin and as members of the cafe, you should also post in the "Cafe as it Could be" forum any changes you want to see made. A good portion of the dieas already mentioned in this thread and the other thread have been put forward officially but the when, where and how of it all is still being discussed.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk