Slowest its been during a week 1 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Slowest its been during a week 1

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Slowest its been during a week 1

Postby Madison » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:38 am

Matthias wrote:By the way: this is posted in the wrong forum.

It should be in one of the sub-forums of Cafe Home / Help Center / The Cafe As It Could Be. %-6

Matthias wrote:No offense, but that's ridiculous.

Both because:
(1) it ensures that no-one who actually uses the site will ever read the thread again; and
(2) if the people who are in the places to change things don't bother to check out the main-line forum of the #1 fantasy sport for this week, they have some serious problems which goes a ways to explain the useability issues.

This is an example in motion of why the Cafe is dying.

:-S

Pick one. Either you want to complain that this was in the wrong forum, or you want to gripe if it gets moved to where it goes. Make up your mind. :-S

Oh, and as to the "main-line forum of the #1 fantasy sport for this week" (too funny by the way :*) ), you do realize "Leftovers" is simply a catchall for the junk that doesn't have its own special forum, right? Pretty much dead last on the priority list of forums to keep an eye on for management. #1 is the Help Center, so it makes much more sense to post up there if you want to get management's attention.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FantasyMan13 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:17 am

Azrael wrote:There are alot of old vets no longer here or that don't post very much. Homeless, GP, VHawk, aww, slowkidz, Plindsey, mercerboy, nittanylions, cwebb, lushcrush, kashikis, JayM09, chaindog, nero, DUKE, hayesb, canadian seahawk, cupertino, cornbreadmaxwell and more. I know a few of them had a falling out with site admins here and left to form their own forums. I think alot of people come and go.

The other thing to remember is that there have been a ton of other forums created within the cafe to prevent leftovers from being inundated with posts. If you go on the start/sit forum and post a new thread, it'll be off the front page in an hour or 2. And I think as a veteran, if you have some time, it is important to go there and pitch in on responding to questions about rosters, starting and sitting, and what not or people will go elsewhere for their answers. Helping others just promotes more people helping as well.

Did anyone ever find out what happened to plindsey?
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:32 am

Madison wrote:Pick one. Either you want to complain that this was in the wrong forum, or you want to gripe if it gets moved to where it goes. Make up your mind. :-S

My mind is made up: you need to learn to pick up sarcasm.

When I put the revolted icon next to the suggestion to move it to an obscure sub-forum that nobody but you guys had ever heard of, after my first point was that we had too many forums, it means that technically that's where it should go but that's really part of the problem.
Madison wrote:Oh, and as to the "main-line forum of the #1 fantasy sport for this week" (too funny by the way :*) ), you do realize "Leftovers" is simply a catchall for the junk that doesn't have its own special forum, right? Pretty much dead last on the priority list of forums to keep an eye on for management. #1 is the Help Center, so it makes much more sense to post up there if you want to get management's attention.

Then management needs to get its head on straight.

Leftovers does not represent the catchall for junk; Leftovers IS the Cafe. I'll say that again in case you missed it: Leftovers IS the Cafe. The other stuff: sit/start, rate my team, IDP, college football, "Cafe Issues", and whatever other garbage you guys have loaded into the current design is the waste. Leftovers is where the most interesting and most perceptive conversations pertaining to the sport of the forum take place. If Leftovers is your bottom priority then your priority set is upside down. You are Coca-Cola focusing on New Coke. You are the 1995 Bulls saying that Steve Kerr is your #1 guy. In short: you don't get it.

Leftovers might not get the most hits; I'm sure that the DTW forum gets plenty of action but frankly, without Leftovers, I see no reason to come to the Cafe. And take a poll from your regulars. Ask them what forum is the first one they check into when they log on and the last one before they leave. Ask them what forum drew them to the Cafe in the first place (I'll give you 1,000-to-1 odds it is NOT the Help Forum). Figure out what actually makes your site good and then emphasize it.

And save the Cafe.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:06 am

i agree with Leftovers being the #1 forum...if i want an injury update or need to know who to start/sit i know where to go, but for any good discussion about strategy, sleepers, busts, etc Leftovers is the place to be
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:13 am

Madison wrote:Oh, and as to the "main-line forum of the #1 fantasy sport for this week" (too funny by the way :*) ), you do realize "Leftovers" is simply a catchall for the junk that doesn't have its own special forum, right? Pretty much dead last on the priority list of forums to keep an eye on for management. #1 is the Help Center, so it makes much more sense to post up there if you want to get management's attention.

You see, this is a part of the problem with the forums. You say the Leftovers is for the junk that didn’t fit under other headings, and I say the Leftovers are the meat and potatoes of the Café, it’s the very heart and soul. And we call it Leftovers. It has the second heaviest traffic load but is treated like an afterthought. This is where fantasy is discussed and ideas tossed about. It lives in the Leftovers. This should be no less than the second forum you see, and the title should suggest a camaraderie and exchange of ideas, conversation about the sport we love, instead of a for misfit threads.

The titles of the forums also leave something to be desired. That something, methinks, is clarity. We seem to strive for cool or clever at the expense of clarity. Not sure that is the better way to go. When I see Routine Plays, I don’t think of roster advice. Start/Sit or Draft advice doesn’t come to mind, and it should. I don’t think we have room for people to be guessing.

I have always felt that there are too many forums. Contraction is a dirty word in sports, but sadly needed. Grouping together like topics in fewer forums would place more information and/or infor-tainment inside each forum, and the easier it will be to find. Pimp my squad can go into the Routine Plays forum. IDP and Commish corner can be combined with a leagues forum, with a sub-forum containing the league draft rooms. The prediction forum needs revision badly. We all love to show how much we know, but I didn’t make as many predictions as I would have wanted to simply because of how disorganized it is. Sticky division prediction threads so people can come in at any time in the preseason and give it a shot. The NFL draft should probably go in the Toilet, er, sorry, I mean the Leftovers forum since it is an off-season discussion and there is plenty of room.

Bottom line is, if a topic is not readily available it isn’t going to get as much traffic as it deserves. We have a lot of great members here, both new and ancient, with so many wonderful and entertaining thoughts that they love to share. We need to make it easier to share our love of football/FFB.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Matthias » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:39 am

Madison wrote:Oh, and as to the "main-line forum of the #1 fantasy sport for this week" (too funny by the way :*) )

Also, I was dead serious that the football Cafe is the #1 fantasy sport for this week. But what I should have said is that this is the top week for any fantasy Cafe of any week this year. As of 2007, fantasy football has the highest number of players of any online game in the world. There's 15 million to 18 million people playing fantasy football. And this is the opening weekend of the season. This place should be buzzing. It should be hopping. If I'm management, I'm treating the Cafe like Toys-R-Us on Christmas Eve or the day after Thanksgiving. This weekend is IT. And you don't get a feel for the pulse by hanging out in GT or the Help Forums. You walk the floor. You talk to the customers. You survey the battle lines. The only moment that you take your attention off of the floor is to glance over, see what the competitors are doing, and seeing if you can do anything to match it. But that's it.

And in dead seriousness, if you don't realize that this is the one weekend that you (or whoever management is nowadays) should be on your game, then this is just yet another aspect where management is out of touch. For real, people: get on the ball.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stikmata » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:50 am

Let's face it... this place is the kiddie pool of fantasy websites/forums.

Okay for beginners but the guppies eventually graduate to deeper waters to swim with the big fish.

;-D
stikmata
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:04 am

Matthias wrote:
Madison wrote:Oh, and as to the "main-line forum of the #1 fantasy sport for this week" (too funny by the way :*) )

Also, I was dead serious that the football Cafe is the #1 fantasy sport for this week. But what I should have said is that this is the top week for any fantasy Cafe of any week this year. As of 2007, fantasy football has the highest number of players of any online game in the world. There's 15 million to 18 million people playing fantasy football. And this is the opening weekend of the season. This place should be buzzing. It should be hopping. If I'm management, I'm treating the Cafe like Toys-R-Us on Christmas Eve or the day after Thanksgiving. This weekend is IT. And you don't get a feel for the pulse by hanging out in GT or the Help Forums. You walk the floor. You talk to the customers. You survey the battle lines. The only moment that you take your attention off of the floor is to glance over, see what the competitors are doing, and seeing if you can do anything to match it. But that's it.

And in dead seriousness, if you don't realize that this is the one weekend that you (or whoever management is nowadays) should be on your game, then this is just yet another aspect where management is out of touch. For real, people: get on the ball.

And in dead seriousness, maybe part of the problem is unfriendly posts. :-S :-?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:10 am

stikmata wrote:Let's face it... this place is the kiddie pool of fantasy websites/forums.

Okay for beginners but the guppies eventually graduate to deeper waters to swim with the big fish.

;-D

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...even if it's wrong. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:16 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:And in dead seriousness, maybe part of the problem is unfriendly posts. :-S :-?

Somehow I doubt I hurt Madison's feelings or, frankly, that that post was even unfriendly. It was factual. This IS, or at least SHOULD BE, the #1 weekend for the Cafe. If that's "unfriendly" and you're going to make me think that I should feel bad for stating the truth, then I think that's part of the problem. See point 4 in my first post in this thread re: over-bureaucratization of the Cafe.

There's a difference between being civil (which should be encouraged) and playing nice-nice (which is fine for tots, but doesn't always belong in an adult conversation). I think any civil conversation should be respected. And if sometimes an ego or two get bruised along the way, then that's how the world is.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk