Slowest its been during a week 1 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Slowest its been during a week 1

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Slowest its been during a week 1

Postby a1doug182 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:08 pm

Just a note to those that run the forums. I still show up here on a fairly regular basis. That being said I find myself looking for other sites to fill the void left with the changing of this site. I will coninue down this path until this place goes back to the old ways or I find an all out replacement for this site. I must say that the powers that be are going to drive this place into non existance if they don't quit trying to fine tune and over regulate this site. To many chiefs and not enough indians. Quit trying to police the forums so much and just let the forums roll with the flow otherwise this forum will be history soon, if it's not too late.
a1doug182
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:26 pm

Well, it looks like the issue was taken so seriously that nothing was changed and at this point posts almost two weeks old sit there on the Leftovers first page. And on Championship Sunday, I'm the only user hanging out in them.

For a while, you were great, Cafe. And in the football off-season, you can maybe decide if you want to be so again. Best of luck.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Lung » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:48 pm

Matthias wrote:Well, it looks like the issue was taken so seriously that nothing was changed and at this point posts almost two weeks old sit there on the Leftovers first page. And on Championship Sunday, I'm the only user hanging out in them.

For a while, you were great, Cafe. And in the football off-season, you can maybe decide if you want to be so again. Best of luck.

Why would anyone be posting in Leftovers on game day? People are posting in Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting like they are supposed to. ;-D

Looks like nothing else has changed with Matthias: he still doesn't get or is unwilling to accept why we have separate Who to Start/Bench, Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions, Roster Ratings, Injuries & Player Updates, IDP, Commissioner's Corner, College Football, Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting, 2010 NFL Draft, General Talk, and other subforums besides the Football Leftovers subforum.

We like the organization of the Cafe. If this fantasy football message board doesn't meet the needs of some, they are free to use others - there are literally hundreds if not thousands of others which may better meet their needs. Best of luck. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby moochman » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:38 pm

I think it is better policy, Lung, to encourage people to stay at the Cafe, not to seek out other sources of info-tainment. No one person has the answer for everyone, so we should try not to fall into the trap of good for me, good for all. Hopefullly, at some point during the summer we can rehash where the Cafe stands and where it wants to go. I hope to have the time to take part in any constructive endevours we may undertake.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby The Lung » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:28 pm

We have done everything possible to point out the positive aspects of the Cafe in this thread and encourage people to stay. While we absolutely embrace constructive criticism and ways to make the Cafe better, there's absolutely no chance the Cafe ever throws organization out the window and consolidates every aspect of fantasy football discussion into two or three mega-bloated sub forums, which is seemingly the only solution for one particular person. For him, I'd say that we're sorry that the Cafe cannot meet his needs.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby Matthias » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:01 pm

Same old new Cafe.

Rather than address any shortcomings, you'd rather try personal digs and a don't let the door hit your butt on the way out approach. But you're right: there are hundreds if not thousands other sites out there. And in case you didn't notice, I availed myself to them this season as I likely will next. Why? Well, putting aside the egos at play here, because they're better.

At the end of the day, the Cafe is a message board. A message board's health and relevance is driven by the number and quality of its users. It has very little else. And maybe because of any number of factors, whether it is the layout of the board or who knows what, the Cafe doesn't have many users. At least, not the kind that contribute real insight... if you want to build your site around all the DKTW and Sit-Start jokers I guess that's your right.

But you have posts almost 2 weeks old on the first page of Leftovers. There are posts 2 1/2 weeks old on the first page of the Injuries & Player Updates. There are posts six months old on the first page of your IDP page. And there are posts seven weeks old on the first page of your Commissioners Corner.

The problem is not that I am looking in the wrong forum on the wrong day. The problem is that for all of your substantive forums there is no right day. Not any more.

Maybe you think that this is all just fine and just as it should be and it's OK that the Cafe is down to a small core of committed users. If so, have fun. If you want something more; if you want to be a place worth coming to, then it would seem changes are necessary. What those changes should be are best developed by talking to your staff and your users. There's obviously no silver bullet but I don't think just insulting me is going to get you anywhere, either.

Like I said before, best of luck.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:06 pm

moochman wrote:I think it is better policy, Lung, to encourage people to stay at the Cafe, not to seek out other sources of info-tainment. No one person has the answer for everyone, so we should try not to fall into the trap of good for me, good for all. Hopefullly, at some point during the summer we can rehash where the Cafe stands and where it wants to go. I hope to have the time to take part in any constructive endevours we may undertake.

This. ;-D
The Lung wrote:We have done everything possible to point out the positive aspects of the Cafe in this thread and encourage people to stay. While we absolutely embrace constructive criticism and ways to make the Cafe better, there's absolutely no chance the Cafe ever throws organization out the window and consolidates every aspect of fantasy football discussion into two or three mega-bloated sub forums, which is seemingly the only solution for one particular person. For him, I'd say that we're sorry that the Cafe cannot meet his needs.

I don't think this was ever really suggested.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Carnac » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:22 am

Mods are very open minded at the Cafe. Good to see.

After 6 years here, exclusively, I now use 2 other forums and enjoy their setup and activity much more.

Too bad for me and too bad for the cafe. I will still check in to see how things are going and wish everyone here the best.
Golf nut
Carnac
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby mattb47 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:51 am

There may not be a TON of "traffic" here so to speak, maybe not as much as there once was but one thing that can't be overlooked here is the quality of fantasy football minds we have here. I would put our top minds up against anyone else out there whether they be another message board or a bigger site that is more mainstream...you can consistently get better advice, better opinions, and just better information overall than you can other places that might have "more stuff" overall. I'll personally take quality over quantity any day.

I think one thing that has changed, however, is simply the amount of the guys who we might consider the "top fantasy minds" at this place who post on a consistent basis. I think more and more here people are seemingly finding their "niches" and sticking there without even looking around at the other parts. It is inevitable that this could happen but the result is that it's harder to get more quality posts site-wide unless you know some of these guys directly and PM them or something.

I think we need to find a way to get at least some of the more knowledgeable people to start posting in some of the "help" forums such as the start/sit and draft/trade type forums because, to be honest, the quality of responses there is at the very best mediocre for the most part. I don't know how that is going to happen and/or what can be done but it is something that I think is an issue that should be looked at if we can find a way to fix it.

As far as the leftovers goes and the foot-traffic here, I'm not sure quite what to think. I have been reasonably disappointed at times at the lack of activity on different topics and I feel that there must be something that can be done to increase the level of debate about different topics and get our knowledgeable people to be more forthcoming with opinions and such. It seems more and more we have a lot of people reading, not nearly as many posting, and even fewer posting actual significant content on a regular basis. The guys here are some of the most knowledgeable people around, but that being said, there should be more interesting discussion BECAUSE of that, and there hasn't been nearly as much.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Munboy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:23 am

The Lung wrote:Why would anyone be posting in Leftovers on game day? People are posting in Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting like they are supposed to. ;-D

Hmmm.... Everybody has noticed the lack "business" on the cafe this year.... And the GCC&V has suffered too. About half way through the 4 oclock games, I logged on and peeked on over to the GCC&V to make a few comments and was shocked by the lack of posts. Go look...Only 2 games reached past one page of posts. And one of those threads was the sunday night game, and that, along with monday night, usually always carries a nice post count due to the fact they're the only games on. 2 games have zero posts.

I agree with matthias that the "Everything is fine and if you don't think so, don't let the door hit you on the way out" approach is the wrong one to take. Post counts are way down. If you think the cafe is solely a helper forum, then I guess everything is fine because the Routine Plays board get swift business... Otherwise, the Cafe has been on the decline.

If I might put in my 2 cents, I think cleaning up the boards and subboards would help. Go ahead and go back to the board index page. And just look. Scroll down....and down....and down.... I've been surfing the interwebs since '96 and I have never seen a forum like this, with so many boards and subboards. It's insane and confusing. I think streamlining would help attract new users, and keep the ones tettering on the leaving. Just my opinion. Take it or leave it.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk