Slowest its been during a week 1 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Slowest its been during a week 1

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Slowest its been during a week 1

Postby petedog9 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:10 pm

There smileys!! Its not their fault they have no arms to strike with.... Teeth and a whip are the only weapons they have.. :-D
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:17 pm

Haha. So me last night.
urbanbreez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:22 pm

biju wrote:
3. If we want traffic we need to create demand. I doubt it is coincidence that the Cafe was at its peak when the Weekly Defense Start/Sit Threads were here. We need more of this. I've found myself in deep need of more statistical analysis at times and in others I kind of want a simple answer. That thread definitely had a simple answer. We could probably do the same with a little bit of time and devotion to backward engineering those old numbers (I've started down that path a number of times but never got too far). That said, there are other "ideas" I've had for a while now too which would require more work than I have time for, but the larger community could easily help out with. And if I have ideas, that means many others do as well. I've thought recently that some of these posts that come up just need a little refinement in order to turn them into a good weekly column, or at least allow them to stand out. Maybe a special forum for these where they simply are "shadowed" at so if people want to see the most interesting debates at the Cafe they can go there. It might spark interest in joining the debate. The hardest part of being a new person on any forum is making that first post and deciding they want to post more. How many places have you signed up for simply to post a few things and be done with it? For me it is at least 20 of the past few years (ranging all across the board from electronics to fantasy football to my local newspaper).

The weekly defensive formulas are still here, there is also a weekly defense article.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby moochman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:26 pm

dream_017 wrote:
biju wrote:
3. If we want traffic we need to create demand. I doubt it is coincidence that the Cafe was at its peak when the Weekly Defense Start/Sit Threads were here. We need more of this. I've found myself in deep need of more statistical analysis at times and in others I kind of want a simple answer. That thread definitely had a simple answer. We could probably do the same with a little bit of time and devotion to backward engineering those old numbers (I've started down that path a number of times but never got too far). That said, there are other "ideas" I've had for a while now too which would require more work than I have time for, but the larger community could easily help out with. And if I have ideas, that means many others do as well. I've thought recently that some of these posts that come up just need a little refinement in order to turn them into a good weekly column, or at least allow them to stand out. Maybe a special forum for these where they simply are "shadowed" at so if people want to see the most interesting debates at the Cafe they can go there. It might spark interest in joining the debate. The hardest part of being a new person on any forum is making that first post and deciding they want to post more. How many places have you signed up for simply to post a few things and be done with it? For me it is at least 20 of the past few years (ranging all across the board from electronics to fantasy football to my local newspaper).

The weekly defensive formulas are still here, there is also a weekly defense article.

I wonder if threads like the weekly waiverwire defensive ones are better served if they are placed in the leftovers forum? It seems like it is designed for contemplation over the course of a half week or so, and I have always looked upon the Who to Start (should change the name to something that could be acronyzed to WHIR :-D ) forum as more of a drive-by setting.

Hey Dream, be honest now. Was that you running out on Ford Field Sunday? :-b Things are going to turn around, Dream, you just have to live long enough.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:03 pm

yeah i'd also like to see the articles posted as a thread in leftovers...i know they've tried it on the Darkside but it was just a link saying the new article is up...it would be nice if we could have a thread with the whole article quoted. i'd rather not have to click on the homepage, read it, and flip back to a thread to comment on it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:35 am

moochman wrote:Hey Dream, be honest now. Was that you running out on Ford Field Sunday? :-b Things are going to turn around, Dream, you just have to live long enough.

I don't drink very much at the games for that very reason, being a Lions fan and drinking at the game I may do something that I would regret later. He was pretty funny though.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby daullaz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:11 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:yeah i'd also like to see the articles posted as a thread in leftovers...i know they've tried it on the Darkside but it was just a link saying the new article is up...it would be nice if we could have a thread with the whole article quoted. i'd rather not have to click on the homepage, read it, and flip back to a thread to comment on it

I think we're supposed to comment on the articles directly on the article page. ;-D
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:41 am

daullaz wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:yeah i'd also like to see the articles posted as a thread in leftovers...i know they've tried it on the Darkside but it was just a link saying the new article is up...it would be nice if we could have a thread with the whole article quoted. i'd rather not have to click on the homepage, read it, and flip back to a thread to comment on it

I think we're supposed to comment on the articles directly on the article page. ;-D

yeah i hear you, but i usually just link to the forums and skip the home page, so i dont even notice when a new article is up most of the time. just saying personally i'd be much more likely to read/comment on an article if it was also posted in leftovers. just curious if that would be the case for a majority of the other members as well
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Munboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:32 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
daullaz wrote:

yeah i hear you, but i usually just link to the forums and skip the home page, so i dont even notice when a new article is up most of the time. just saying personally i'd be much more likely to read/comment on an article if it was also posted in leftovers. just curious if that would be the case for a majority of the other members as well

Articles? We have articles? :-b

Yea, I usually go straight for the forums, bypassing the home page. Mainly because, since I'm in semi-retirement from fantasy football, I come here for the football discussions. Which is why I live in the leftovers forums. Catering the whole board to fantasy players with a few scraps for just football fans is a mistake. Streamlining will help I think.

Just glancing at the front page...
1) IDP has 39 topics....trash it.
2) Why is routine plays, special teams and pimp my squad (come on...really? "pimp my..." was the hot thing to say in the 90s/early 00s...Next a forum called "Yo dawg, I heard yo liked fantasy football. So i took some fantasy football and put it in your fantasy football so you'd have more fantasy football!") Do we need 3 boards and 8 subboards....and why is college football under there anyways? :-?
3) Fantasy football live chat...Obviously not a popular place to be during the games. Get rid of it, and people can talk about it in GC.
4) Fantasy school. Either combine the two subboards or move the FAFQs to the home page. Then take this one, combine it with routine plays, speacial teams and pimp my squad and make just ONE board, with 2-3 subboards. All about fantasy football.
5) Preseason Paradise....Just because somebody thought of a name with a neat alliteration doesn't mean it has to be used. Preseason is only relevant a few months out of the year and most of it will fit just fine in leftovers.
6) Community tasks and Cafe help? If it doesn't relate directly to the football cafe, stick a link to it on the front page.
7) Article discussion ...Rarely used. Leftovers would be a better place. More traffic to generate talking about an article.
8) Fantasy Football stadium...Just like a stadium, its big and bulky. One board, several subboards. Should clean up real nice.
9) Team subboards...just go ahead and get rid of the AFC South, AFC West, and NFC South. Nobody's posted in any of the subboards since Jet posted the midseason reports. :-b
10) Football talk...clean up or get rid of. No traffic and everything will fit fine in leftovers.
11) Other fantasy sports....one board, several subboards.
12) Tailgate...Do we really need a whole forum about if somebody sees the cafe mentioned somehwere?
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:09 pm

Munboy wrote:
Articles? We have articles? :-b

Yea, I usually go straight for the forums, bypassing the home page. Mainly because, since I'm in semi-retirement from fantasy football, I come here for the football discussions. Which is why I live in the leftovers forums. Catering the whole board to fantasy players with a few scraps for just football fans is a mistake. Streamlining will help I think.

Not much to stop for on the homepage, so I don't stop there either. Right now there's a couple articles about Week 16 and one from Nov about sleepers. Surely there's more timely info???
:-?
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk