Anthony Gonzalez - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anthony Gonzalez

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Anthony Gonzalez

Postby sobore » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:53 pm

It looks like the first game of the season was Gonz's last game of the season.
This might be the week he gets dropped, I'm not seeing much value left for him.
sobore
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:39 am

Nov 6 Gonzalez underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Thursday to clean out loose particles, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports.

Recommendation: Evidently Gonzalez aggravated his knee injury in practice a couple of weeks ago and now it looks like he'll be out another two-to-three weeks. In the meantime, Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon will continue to see an expanded role for the Colts in his absence.
DaSh 1s
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sobore » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:53 pm

* Yawn *

Wed, Nov 18

Gonzalez (knee) did not participate in Wednesday's practice, the team's official web site reports.

* Yawn *
sobore
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flyn high again » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Funny how Marvin Harrison also had recovery problems from his injury last year. Wonder if the Colts used the same Doctor. If so, I'd think about switching medics.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:50 am

McFadden had knee surgery is already back into game time shape. The lack of news is frustrating.
DaSh 1s
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SameSongNDance » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm

-roto

Report: Anthony Gonzalez may return Week 12

Gonzalez
NFL.com's Jason La Canfora reports that Anthony Gonzalez has a "chance" to return in Week 12 against the Texans.
La Canfora confirms the obvious -- that Gonzo won't play Sunday against the Ravens -- but says he is "expected" to resume practicing next week. Gonzalez would be just three weeks removed from knee surgery in Week 12, so the Colts definitely wouldn't immediately reinsert him into the starting lineup. We'd bet heavily against him helping anyone in the fantasy playoffs as well.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby sobore » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:56 pm

Copyright © 2009 Bleacher Report, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Gonzo Back for Colts' Week 12?: Indy Says Not Even Close

NFL.com's Jason La Canfora reported on Nov. 20 that there was a “chance” the long-awaited return of Anthony Gonzalez could happen by Week 12. That’s right, after being out for basically the whole season, “Gonzo” could be back for the showdown between the Colts and the Texans next Sunday.

Obviously, Jason didn’t read the Mike Chappell piece from the INDYSTAR written on the same day. Had he read that piece, he might not have been so quick to do any reporting that day.
Here is what “Gonzo” had to say about his status: "I felt like I was close the last time," Gonzalez said. "So in that sense, it's a little hard to say. I do feel the 'scope I had helped a lot. Now it's just a matter of getting a little flexibility back and all my strength back. But I think I'm close."

Jim Caldwell, on the Sirius Blitz this morning, further backed up what Chappell reported. When asked about “Gonzalez,” he said the same thing he’s been saying for weeks. Caldwell is seeing improvement and thinks he’s “close” to returning, but he can’t give a date.

Before we go any further, let’s pause, and reflect on what “close” means. Close doesn’t mean in game shape and ready to play.
The sad truth for Anthony Gonzalez is he got hurt in what was supposed to be his breakout year and got replaced by a guy who, frankly, is better.
If “Gonzo” can return this season, he’ll be backing up Garcon at best.
Garcon is bigger, stronger, and faster than Gonzalez. Going into the playoffs, teams may find themselves facing a receiving corps as deep as the 2008 New England Patriots, and Gonzo might find himself on the outside looking in.
Once “Gonzo” gets his strength back, he’s going to have to go out, make it through a week of practice, and practice well to even be considered close to playing in an actual game.

“Close” right now means close to returning to practice. Then, when he does return to practice, he’s going to have to develop timing and rhythm with Peyton all over again.Ten weeks without playing is like years in pro-football. If Peyton doesn’t think Anthony is ready for gameday, then Anthony isn’t playing come gameday.
Another thing to factor into this whole discussion: Peyton only has so much time to devote each week to the wide receivers. How much time is Peyton going to spend with “Gonzo” when he knows that, even if he does play, it’s going to be very limited?

Don’t think for a minute that the majority of the time Peyton allocates to his receivers is going to go to the Colts’ two new emerging stars: Garcon and Collie. Sorry “Gonzo,” that’s just how it goes.
The reality is it’s going to take weeks once “Gonzo” returns to the practice field for him and Peyton to get on the same page again. It’s not like they have been playing together for years, like Reggie and Peyton have, and even between Reggie and Peyton, it still would take some hard work to re-establish the chemistry that they share.
sobore
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby KOTN14 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:20 am

This has easily been the most frustrating fantasy roller coaster I've ever dealt with. I drafted Gonzo as a WR2 in a PPR league (probably a round higher than I should've since I'm in a leauge of a bunch of OSU fans from Cleveland). I've literally dropped him and picked him back up 3 times now. I finally dropped him for the 4th and final time. He may have value in the playoffs ... the NFL playoffs. But that means less than nothing to non-Colts fans.
KOTN14
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby jcgage0 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:25 pm

I can't believe that people are still talking about this guy. It was obvious about 4-5 weeks ago that this guy was not worth a roster spot people!
jcgage0
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SameSongNDance » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:47 pm

jcgage0 wrote:I can't believe that people are still talking about this guy. It was obvious about 4-5 weeks ago that this guy was not worth a roster spot people!

This.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk