Will Leinart take over the starting gig soon? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will Leinart take over the starting gig soon?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Will Leinart take over the starting gig soon?

Postby accordc36 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:20 pm

I know its just 1 week but Warner hasnt looked good at all this year and I saw this
According to ESPN's Mike Sando, Kurt Warner suffered a "stinger" injury in the Cardinals' Week 1 loss.

The stinger affected feeling in Warner's throwing arm. Perhaps this explains his reduced arm strength, but Warner hasn't looked right since the Super Bowl. He was a dump-off machine in the opener, completing 12 passes to Tim Hightower, but eight to Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin combined. Sep. 16 - 3:17 pm et
Source: ESPN.com

Say Leinart did take over. Think it will happen anytime soon and how much of a fantay impact will he make?
accordc36
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Will Leinart take over the starting gig soon?

Postby FatFoot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:42 pm

I don't think it's meaningful, to say he hasn't looked good all year. It's one game. Turner, Forte, Slaton, FWP, Roddy White, T.O. etc... all these guys looked bad this week. It's going to happen.

If I were a Warner owner I'd also have Leinart if I didn't have a better backup plan. I think he will take over eventually this year, due to injury, or poor play as a result of injury. And I'd only want him because that team is so stacked for receivers. But I wouldn't make any judgments at all after one game.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby joejlitz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:56 am

If Jake Delhomme gets to keep his job, I'm pretty sure Warner is safe for a few more weeks. ;-)

I never liked Leinart. I had him a few years ago and he looked awful everytime I watched him. With that said, he has had a lot of time to improve and I heard that Leinart had a nice preseason. So when Warner does get bit by the injury bug, I think Leinart is worth a flier.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 am

Warner will keep that job until he is hurt or the Cards are out of the playoff picture
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bungle613 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:13 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:Warner will keep that job until he is hurt or the Cards are out of the playoff picture

That pretty much sums it up for me as well.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Metroid » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:47 am

bungle613 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:Warner will keep that job until he is hurt or the Cards are out of the playoff picture

I agree with this too. Maybe if he bombed REALLY bad for a couple consecutive games they might make the switch but otherwise he'll be under center for the long haul.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Azrael » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:48 am

I pretty much agree with what the last 3 people have said about Warner.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby joejlitz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:52 am

Azrael wrote:
Metroid wrote:
bungle613 wrote:

I agree with this too. Maybe if he bombed REALLY bad for a couple consecutive games they might make the switch but otherwise he'll be under center for the long haul.

I pretty much agree with what the last 3 people have said about Warner.

Baaa! Baaa! Anyone seen Mary?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby moochman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:20 pm

I have seen Mary.., and I agree with her too. :-b

The thing is that Warner will have to lose his job through repeatedly sucking, or injury. Oddly, the former will precipitate the latter. If Mrs. Warners husband plays poorly the Cards will fall behind...and he will have to pass more. Having to pass more, in situations where opposing Ds know you are having to pass, will lead to higher risk injury.
So unless Warner gets it turned around pretty quickly, say by week 3, he could be in danger of losing his job. There is a week 4 bye that is perfect for giving Leinart enough time to drop the keg and pick up a football.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:11 pm

What is going on here?

One "bad" game doesn't mean snap. 288 yards and a TD is *not* a bad game. I have Leinart in a number of leagues and am not anticipating he'll suddenly step in.

This is just gut, and not based on any readily-available source, but hell, so has everthing else in this thread so far-

1) Warner won't suddenly lose the starting spot right after the bye;
2) the offense won't suddenly fall apart as the team struggles with obvious passing situations. Pendergast is gone, as is Haley, but Grimm is still there. They don't have name-brand players at o-line, but Grimm got them to perform well;
3) any cause of concern for a decrease in production by Warner is not due to under-performance, but a change in offensive philosophy- Haley/Pendergast were passing inclined (to put it mildly) while Grimm and Wisenhut are from Pitt's "run the ball down your throat" school and have a new weapon in Wells and a former starter who will attempt to play well to maintain hold on the spot.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Football Talk