Shutdown Corners and Their Effect on your WR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Shutdown Corners and Their Effect on your WR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Shutdown Corners and Their Effect on your WR

Postby daullaz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:45 pm

I wanted to get a list going of some shutdown corners in the NFL that you should try to avoid for your WR matchups. Nnamdi Asomugha has long been slotted in this category and after Sunday's game against the Texans, Darrell Revis belongs in there too. Who else do you consider for membership into the Shutdown Corners category?

Shutdown Corners
Nnamdi Asomugha, OAK (2008 work)
Charles Woodson/Al Harris, GB (2008 work)
Darrell Revis, NYJ
Last edited by daullaz on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Shutdown Corners and Their Effect on your WR

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:50 pm

does Champ still qualify?

i havent seen enough of Revis (any actually) to really make a judgement...how did WR's look against him last year? i'd probably need to see a few more games before i would worry about starting WR's against him
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby daullaz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:58 pm

According to Football Outsiders, most of the success in the passing game came from the TE, non-starting WRs, and RBs.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2008

#1 WRs had the toughest time against GB, with OAK coming in at #2. NYJ was #11, but I was thinking with the new coach and new defense, Revis might have quickly earned respect as a shutdown guy.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:06 pm

He may have lost a step or 2 along the way but one in my eyes that is still a 'shutdown corner" (which with all the rules on defense now adays its really limits the true shutdown corners like in the past, I.E. Sanders, Woodson, Hasty, Darrell Green or Eric Allen) but heres my take on it:

Champ Bailey: Production wise has surpassed Neon Deion for tackles at the same point in their careers and is 2 INTs ahead of him if im not mistaken. He has an extreme presence on defense that makes offenses watch out for. He tho in my eyes is much, much more physical then Sanders ever was and isn't afraid to stick his nose into a play. In my eyes he is the purest shutdown corner left in the league.

Others that could be considered or could be in the future:

Al Harris: WIDELY underrated for what he does for the Packers. He doesn't get alot of the spotlight in fantasy leagues because he doesn't tackle a ton, but thats what makes a shutdown corner a shutdown corner. Look at these stats, the games played compared to tackles, that tells me 2 things: 1. QBs strictly avoid contact with him and 2. that he breaks up alot of passes or is so blanketed on the receiver that they aren't making the receptions

Charles Woodson: Harris' teammate I also think is a little overlooked for the simple fact of him getting a little older. He for sure has lost a step or 2 with his speed but has made it up with experience. The combo of Woodson/Harris has got to be one of the better if not best of the 'pure shutdown corner' tandems in the league remaining.

DeAngelo Hall: I think if his experience curve keeps widening and he sticks to getting better that he could potentially be one of the best shutdown corners in the league, and could eventually have his name on the same page as Deion, Woodson, Allen, Green, maybe not same paragraph but same page. ;-D

Others that could be considered:
Rhonde Barber: He isn't as shutdown as the others, but definitely causes a ruckess on the outside and is possibly the only other CB in my eyes as physical as Champ or Harris. Getting up there in age also, but his career has to point to being a 2nd tier shutdown CB at least.

Sheldon Brown: If he would stop b!tching about how the NFL is implementing all these rules to hurt the progression of a shutdown CB and just play the position his skill level would put him close to the top of this list. He has great quickness and shows the ability to hawk the ball, but has his mind wandering off on too many other things.

WAY Future: (i know this thread is for now, but just have to throw this name out there)

Vontea Davis - He will be the newest class of the up and coming shut down corners in the league. This kid has great speed and once his game knowledge climbs he will become on of the top CBs in the league. Right now hes behind Will Allen on the Miami depth chart, but this allows him room to grow without pressure. Give him time tho his name will be able to be put in the same sentence as Sanders, Hasty, Woodson and Allen IMO.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby spodog » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:55 pm

great idea for a thread! ;-D
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby chchelse » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:40 pm

Cortland Finnegan has always been considered a shutdown corner, but he didn't seem to do well against Santonio Holmes, so maybe he's lost a step.....
chchelse
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby livinginarizona » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:45 pm

Nate Clements
Rashean Mathis
Asante Samuels

(in addition to the GB trio and Nmadi you previously mentioned)

DeAngelo has the potential, he's just too inconsistent.
livinginarizona
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 17)

Postby Roger That » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:24 pm

chchelse wrote:Cortland Finnegan has always been considered a shutdown corner, but he didn't seem to do well against Santonio Holmes, so maybe he's lost a step.....

Finnegan doesn't count because for some reason the Titans do not switch their corners very much. Finnegan plays on one side of the field for the most part...if the #1 WR is on his side, he covers him. If the #1 is on the other side, Nick Harper covers him. I don't understand the logic at all, but that's the way it is in TN.
Roger That
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby daullaz » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:43 pm

livinginarizona wrote:Nate Clements
Rashean Mathis
Asante Samuels

(in addition to the GB trio and Nmadi you previously mentioned)

DeAngelo has the potential, he's just too inconsistent.

I seem to see Mathis with a lot of tackles, which makes me think that WRs do have success against him, they just get tackled pretty quickly.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

Postby livinginarizona » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:49 pm

My defintion of "shut down" means they effectively neutralize the WR#1. As in the opposing QB does not target your side of the field.
Mathis fits this definition. He's a great tackler and a ball-hawk.
livinginarizona
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 17)

Next

Return to Football Talk