Most Glaring Weekly Observations (Week 2 update) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Most Glaring Weekly Observations (Week 2 update)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Most Glaring Week 1 Observation

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:46 pm

Any other ideas from watching week 1 games? I made this observation watching the NFL shortcut because I was specifically trying to decide between Burleson at WR and Eddie Royal for this weeks matchup.

I'd like to try getting away from preseason predictions and focusing on what is happening on the game. I too thought Houshmanzadeh would be by far the #1 WR for Seattle, but in week 1 that appeared to be anything but the case. And for all that the statline showed (Carleson with a huge game), Burleson was actually by far the most active WR. Carleson completed most of his catches, yardage, and his long TD when the Rams were shifting their coverages to the WRs on the outside and left huge holes in the middle of the field for Carleson to exploit. Not that that is a knock against Carleson mind you, in fact I expect that to be a recurring theme this year as teams struggle to contain Seattle.


One other quick mention that I got from watching games, Ray Rice looks a lot like Curtis Martin circa 2006. That was the year the guy led or competed for the league in rushing yardage, but had very few long gainers. From watching the Ravens, two things stuck out at me. Every time Ray Rice rushed the ball, regardless of how good he looked doing it, he ended up getting 4 to 5 yards each time. Not a 4 or 5 yard average, a 4 or 5 yard consistent gain. Even on the bad plays where he looked stuff, the guy somehow squirted and popped through and was suddenly 4 yards past the blue line. To me that is remarkable to see that kind of effort in a moden NFL game. Everybody gets stopped for a 1 and 2 yard gain for a decent percentage of the time. I didn't believe KC would be all that bad this year, but perhaps Baltimore is just that good. The O-line looked very good and the committee of backs looked excellent. Mcgahee had some nice runs that made him looked like he deserved a starting role as well. Joe Flacco looked like we all predicted Matt Ryan to look like. Guy has a laser and was accurate with his throws, found the open man time and again, and got the ball consistently to his guy even in tight coverage. Derrick Mason had about 80 yards and a TD worth of missed plays and Flacco still had 300 yards and 3 TDs. The 2009 Ravens look like a combination of the 2008 Packers throwing the ball (see Flaccos scrambling ability? crazy) and the 2008 Tennessee Titans running the ball.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Most Glaring Week 1 Observation

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:57 pm

Kensat, love your stuff.

Where do you get your look/touch numbers?
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4738
Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: AKA CubsFan7724

Re: Most Glaring Week 1 Observation

Postby DaSh 1s » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:09 pm

Thanks for the read! Keep them coming.
DaSh 1s
Water Boy
Water Boy

User avatar

Posts: 96
Joined: 1 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Most Glaring Week 1 Observation

Postby Retet » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:54 pm

I like Steve Smith (G-Men) to have a Housh like year. I'd like to see him as a red-zone target a little more, but week one is still just a short window for judgment. He seems to get a lot of looks, makes a good play on the ball, and has a comfort with Manning.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1498
Joined: 23 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: A Northern Town

Re: Most Glaring Week 1 Observation

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:58 pm

A sad observation from week one is that Kevin Smith had no room to run vs a Saints D not known for its run stopping ability. In PPR leagues this won't have as big an impact, since he caught a handful of passes, and the Lions will have to pass often. But in standard leagues, he may disappoint.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Most Glaring Week 1 Observation

Postby SameSongNDance » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:48 am

moochman wrote:A sad observation from week one is that Kevin Smith had no room to run vs a Saints D not known for its run stopping ability. In PPR leagues this won't have as big an impact, since he caught a handful of passes, and the Lions will have to pass often. But in standard leagues, he may disappoint.



Yeah I agree. But, in a standard league 70ish overall yards and a TD is more than enough to get by. We'll see tomorrow how he does against a stout Min D and that should give us a better idea. He can't do much worse than 15 for 20 yards 8-o . I hope that's his floor, I hope haha.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 1574
Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Most Glaring Week 1 Observation

Postby joejlitz » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:39 am

So Special K...I love your posts and insight when you're not bickering with Mad Man. :-D

What do you think happens when Branch comes back? I'm considering dropping Avery for Burlseon, but don't want to drop the STL Rams #1 receiver for the Hawks #3.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
Image
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7050
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: G-14 Classified

Re: Most Glaring Week 1 Observation

Postby smackthefirst » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:40 am

I've got to agree with Kensat here. I was higher than everyone all preseason on Burleson and he did nothing but increase my thoughts about him week 1. The way I saw it then, and the way I see it now, is that Burleson has the most history with Hass and history goes a long way. Branch has never been able to stay healthy and TJ was a new WR, so Burleson was the defacto WR1 in Seattle to me coming into the season. And I don't see that changing anytime soon.

As for Joe's question about Branch, if Branch ever manages to get healthy and stay healthy, I don't think you'll see him be anymore than the WR3 or slot guy in Seattle. As far as I'm concerned, Burleson is the number 1 WR in Seattle and the only way that changes is if Burleson gets hurt.
Image
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 2646
Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: MD

Re: Most Glaring Week 1 Observation

Postby kickureface » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:54 pm

smackthefirst wrote:I've got to agree with Kensat here. I was higher than everyone all preseason on Burleson and he did nothing but increase my thoughts about him week 1. The way I saw it then, and the way I see it now, is that Burleson has the most history with Hass and history goes a long way. Branch has never been able to stay healthy and TJ was a new WR, so Burleson was the defacto WR1 in Seattle to me coming into the season. And I don't see that changing anytime soon.

As for Joe's question about Branch, if Branch ever manages to get healthy and stay healthy, I don't think you'll see him be anymore than the WR3 or slot guy in Seattle. As far as I'm concerned, Burleson is the number 1 WR in Seattle and the only way that changes is if Burleson gets hurt.

what shall we say to todays game? hass is injured and burleson wasnt doing well with hass in anyways
kickureface
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 525
Joined: 27 Sep 2008
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Most Glaring Week 1 Observation

Postby thejusman1 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:01 pm

kickureface wrote:
smackthefirst wrote:I've got to agree with Kensat here. I was higher than everyone all preseason on Burleson and he did nothing but increase my thoughts about him week 1. The way I saw it then, and the way I see it now, is that Burleson has the most history with Hass and history goes a long way. Branch has never been able to stay healthy and TJ was a new WR, so Burleson was the defacto WR1 in Seattle to me coming into the season. And I don't see that changing anytime soon.

As for Joe's question about Branch, if Branch ever manages to get healthy and stay healthy, I don't think you'll see him be anymore than the WR3 or slot guy in Seattle. As far as I'm concerned, Burleson is the number 1 WR in Seattle and the only way that changes is if Burleson gets hurt.

what shall we say to todays game? hass is injured and burleson wasnt doing well with hass in anyways


Hasselback has bruised ribs and is questionable for Week 3... Safe to say that Nate Burleson's break-out year will be put on hold once again...
thejusman1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 454
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 19:15 hours
(and 44 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact