Shock's Week 2 Booms and Busts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Shock's Week 2 Booms and Busts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Shock's Week 2 Booms and Busts

Postby Shock6822 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:58 pm

Amazing week last week with something like 20 wins and 4 losses...don't know if that's repeatable, but as always, simply throwing another opinion out there to help with your decisions. Good luck this week!

BOOMS:

Washington D vs STL: You already know most any D against the Rams is spot start worthy. However, take a look at Washington's next 5 matchups: vs STL, @DET (pressure on a rook QB), vs TB (offense is nothing special), @CAR (if Delhomme keeps it up or Feeley isn't starting yet), vs KC (see how Cassel looks). All of those matchup have potential for solid points provided you stay active on goings-on with things like QB situations in CAR/KC, whether Bryant is playing for TB, etc. If you like streaming defenses like I do much of the time, this D may be worth a multiple week play.

Santana Moss vs STL: Had a cruddy week 1, and the coaches came out and said they needed to get him more involved. Here's me putting my trust that this isn't just talk and they'll try to back it up.

Percy Harvin @DET: The coaches say Berrian will get more involved, but unlike above, why? Harvin is a better weapon than Berrian in my opinion, and AP actually historically doesn't have 200 yd, 3 TD games against Detroit all the time, contrary to popular belief. Minnesota will still need to throw the ball, and if Detroit plays Minnesota like they did last year, the game will be close, and the passing game will be active all 4 quarters.

Leon Washington vs NE: Shonn Greene still doesn't have a role, and Thomas Jones is still a bum in my mind. Fred Jackson torched the NE D last week, and without Mayo, Leon should have a solid game, especially for you PPR guys. Maybe no TD since TJ is still around, but yardage from screen passes, etc should come.

Michael Bush/Darren Mcfadden @KC: The Ravens dismantled the Chiefs something like 500 to 180 total yards, so that D isn't ready to show up just yet. Total crap shoot as to who gets the TD (I'd say 60% Bush, 40% Mcfadden chance), but both should be flex worthy at the least, especially since Bush is 'officially' the #2

Terrell Owens/Lee Evans vs TB: If Miles Austin and Patrick Crayton can torch this D, I'm willing to guess they can too. NE played solid in the secondary last week and purposely doubled these guys alot of the time. I don't think TB is quite up to that task yet.

Chris Johnson vs HOU: Lenwhale looked like he was still on Patron last week, and CJ averaged about 4.8 YPC last year against Houston in 2 games. Who knows how the redzone will look, but I'd expect at least 20 touches from him, which should lead to a solid game.

Michael Clayton @BUF: This scares me to type. Like, really scares me to type. But Bryant is likely out, and if the TB staff can take a page from New England, SOMEONE needs to be able to run all over the middle against Buffalo. Might be Sammie Stroughter, but I'll gamble with this guy.

Brandon Jacobs @DAL: Dallas gave up 175 yards rushing last week. Brandon Jacobs has the best o-line in football. You do the math.

Laurent Robinson @WAS: Bulger has to throw to someone when they're getting whooped, and Robinson looked decent last week minus the drop. Eventual #1?

Ronnie Brown vs IND: If Sparano isn't dumb and actually gives him 20+ touches, he should be able to do damage against Indy. But hey, if he doesn't, go blame Sparano, not me.

Zach Miller @KC: I feel like listing 3 Raiders means I'm destined to fail. Oh well. Jamarcus's only reliable target (unless we're relying on dropped passes, in which case DHB is your man)

BUSTS:

Julius Jones @SF: Julius was much better at home last year, and San Fran's D looked really solid last week. Julius also fluked into a big play, otherwise he would have had his typical Lendale White-esque line, minus the touchdowns.

Donald Brown @MIA: I'd imagine Miami is pissed, and I'm aware Addai scored last week, which he's always a threat to do I guess, but he also had 2.5 YPC. Donald Brown showed nothing special last week either, and since Addai had the GL carries, he's always a threat to have a semi-decent week. Brown, maybe not so much.

Laveranues Coles @GB: He might bounce back, but Caldwell put up ok stats, and Coles looked lost and had the Braylon Edwards hands syndrome. GB's D also played well last week, and their secondary has always been solid.

Larry Johnson vs OAK: That D has changed with Big Sey coming in, especially that front line. Another dud week for a dud player.

Dwayne Bowe vs OAK: NNAMDI GIVE UP TD TO VINCENT JACKSON. NNAMDI MAD. NNAMDI GIVE UP ABOUT 25 YARDS LAST TIME HE SAW DWAYNE BOWE. NNAMDI SMASH DWAYNE BOWE.

Anquan Boldin @JAC: I almost feel like he's a decoy until Breaston gets better, and let's face it: he's no Tim Hightower, amirite? I'd have reservations about him until I either saw his explosiveness back or a big game from him.

Philly D: They're playing New Orleans. I'd bet my house they don't score 35 points again.

Willie Parker @CHI: No Urlacher, but there's a big old committee, and he looked about as fast as Peyton Manning with a broken leg.

Matt Schaub @TEN: Schaub had a line of 188 yds, 0 TDs and 3 INTs at Tennessee last year. His home game against Tennessee saw 1 TD. His o-line looked decrepit last week. I'd stick him on the bench this week, unless you have better options. He looks even worse if Walter can't play btw.
GO PATRIOTS!
Shock6822
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Shock's Week 2 Booms and Busts

Postby FatFoot » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:17 pm

LOL the Bowe prediction
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 2ksports » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:22 pm

I have Lee Evans and Dwayne Bowe. Now I picked Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, and Dwayne Bowe for the sole reason of not having to worry about WR matchups and only focus on RB / QB matchups. Are you telling me to bench Dwayne Bowe for Lee Evans?

And yeah, I've thought about it but not brave enough to pull the trigger just yet. Convince me!
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Shock6822 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:36 pm

2ksports wrote:I have Lee Evans and Dwayne Bowe. Now I picked Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, and Dwayne Bowe for the sole reason of not having to worry about WR matchups and only focus on RB / QB matchups. Are you telling me to bench Dwayne Bowe for Lee Evans?

And yeah, I've thought about it but not brave enough to pull the trigger just yet. Convince me!

Ordinarily, I'd say you'd be nuts for even thinking about it. I just don't know how Bowe's rapport was with Croyle last week, and Nnamdi is bar none the best CB in the league. I believe he's supposed to shadow the #1 this year as opposed to just stay on one side of the field last year. That said, Edwards MUST be willing to throw downfield more for Evans to pan out this week. Even if they're 15-20 yard routes. I have a feeling he will, but if he doesn't, Evans has more bust potential than Bowe. I'm forced to say go with Evans, but that's a riskier take on it in a sense. I'd probably start Evans in your situation because Moss and CJ are pretty much guaranteed points, so you can potentiall afford a boom or bust as your WR3. Ultimately, go with your gut! (Mainly because I hate giving people wrong advice :-D )
GO PATRIOTS!
Shock6822
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby kickureface » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:40 pm

shock if you are wrong we are shaving you completely.
kickureface
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Shock6822 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:05 pm

kickureface wrote:shock if you are wrong we are shaving you completely.

Hey if I'm totally wrong this week I'll still probably be above .500 on the year :-b
GO PATRIOTS!
Shock6822
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby kickureface » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:06 pm

pretty good stat
BUT YOULL BE SHAVED!
kickureface
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby 2ksports » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:10 pm

Shock6822 wrote:
2ksports wrote:I have Lee Evans and Dwayne Bowe. Now I picked Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, and Dwayne Bowe for the sole reason of not having to worry about WR matchups and only focus on RB / QB matchups. Are you telling me to bench Dwayne Bowe for Lee Evans?

Ordinarily, I'd say you'd be nuts for even thinking about it. I just don't know how Bowe's rapport was with Croyle last week, and Nnamdi is bar none the best CB in the league. I believe he's supposed to shadow the #1 this year as opposed to just stay on one side of the field last year. That said, Edwards MUST be willing to throw downfield more for Evans to pan out this week. Even if they're 15-20 yard routes. I have a feeling he will, but if he doesn't, Evans has more bust potential than Bowe. I'm forced to say go with Evans, but that's a riskier take on it in a sense. I'd probably start Evans in your situation because Moss and CJ are pretty much guaranteed points, so you can potentiall afford a boom or bust as your WR3. Ultimately, go with your gut! (Mainly because I hate giving people wrong advice :-D )

Well, you said go with your gut, and my gut says Dwayne Bowe, so Dwayne Bowe will start, despite the ugly matchup. I fear Nhamdi like the plague but in the Charger game, he wasn't 100% on Vince Jackson, sometimes covering Chambers. Hopefully Nhamdi will not be on him 24/7, could be ugly... Hoping for a random TD as they have no other redzone threats.

According to this chart: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2008
The Oakland Raiders are #2 in the league in shutting down the opposition's WR1.
Unfortunately for me, the Tampa Bay Bucs, although really bad at shutting down WR1s, are the #1 team at shutting down WR2s of opposing teams.

I think I'm screwed either way.

Thanks for feedback though, you could very well be right on this one.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mattp987 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:37 pm

I'm really digging the Leon Washington boom this week. He had 15 rushing attempts last compared to Thomas' 20. Not a bad split at all. Plus those 4 receptions were nice. From what i've read, he is going to be more involved in the passing game this week.

Ryan noted that the Patriots' screens and bubble screens that they like to run will be something to watch when they bring the blitz. But Ryan did say that the Jets' screen and RB Leon Washington is something for the Patriots to watch as well. Washington caught a 7-yard touchdown pass and returned a 92-yard kickoff the last time they played the Pats last year in New England.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2 ... z0RVId1xSC

I'm on the same page with the LJ bust, he's sitting on my bench definitely this week. I'm not down on him for the year though but until Cassel gets back, i have beef with starting him.
Props to anx2a77 for the sig
mattp987
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Retet » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:52 pm

Shock -- again, excellent reading. Thanks for the post and entertaining writing.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk