Eddie Royal? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Eddie Royal?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Eddie Royal?

Postby benb18a » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:18 am

38 yards through the first two games. Enough said. This was supposed to be the perfect storm, even going into the final week of preseason. He was supposed to become the new Welker in McDaniels' system, Marshall was being a crybay all offseason and hardly got any real work in the preseason, and admitted he was far behind in learning the new playbook/system, and Royal has been called very "mature" by many analysts. He was supposed to get plenty of catches with weak-armed Orton throwing. What gives? Is he a bust, or will he eventually become a solid starter? I haven't had a chance to see either of the Denver games.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Eddie Royal?

Postby joejlitz » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:20 am

I have no idea, but I'm wondering the same thing myself. I needed to start him today because of Welker's injury. Now I'm wondering if Steve Smith (NYG) isn't going to be more consistant over the course of the year :-?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:18 am

Utter disappointment thus far. I actually sat him for Lee Evans with a few minutes to spare on my Blackberry before the 1:00 wave of games while tailgating. I may sit him until he actually does something.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cupertino_11 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:33 am

Royal exited the game late in the 2nd quarter because of cramping and received an IV. He didn't do a whole lot afterwards either as he sat out most of the third quarter and Denver pretty much just ran the ball from then on out. They're trying to get him the ball though. Despite missing more than a quarter of play he still received the most targets (9) of all their receivers. Orton was not all that accurate today either. His finger could still be troubling him. The two will start clicking soon...just gotta be patient. Royal might actually be a good "buy-low" candidate.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby benb18a » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:16 am

bigh0rt wrote:Utter disappointment thus far. I actually sat him for Lee Evans with a few minutes to spare on my Blackberry before the 1:00 wave of games while tailgating. I may sit him until he actually does something.

I think I am going to roll with this. I have serviceable options for now, thank God.

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gmoney973 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:31 am

next week if marshall gets nmandi covering him royal should have a good day
gmoney973
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby benb18a » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:55 am

gmoney973 wrote:next week if marshall gets nmandi covering him royal should have a good day

Yeah, he's one of the few CBs that can actually make you think about starting stud WRs. I still remember when both Champ and Marvin Harrison were in their prime, and in that game Harrison had one catch for like five yards, and Wayne had well over 100 with three TDs. However, Oakland has played pretty tough so far in grind 'em out games against division foes, games that they easily could have won.

2011:

benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ckl81 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:17 am

I haven't watched the Broncos yet this season, but why isn't Orton targeting his top 2 receivers? Understand about the Royal and the IV in this game, but is Marshall not getting open/looks? I'm surprised that both of these guys have been horrible this year; I thought Orton was a half-decent QB, and I thought that both of these guys would have had better games thus far.
[URL=http://img103.imageshack.us/my.php?image=merriman3ec1.jpg]Image[/URL]
ckl81
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SameSongNDance » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:56 am

Jabar Gaffney led them in recieving this week 8-o. I might buy low on one of them. Probably Royal but I'm still pretty confused on all of this.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby DrSpackle » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:25 pm

It's really more of Orton not on the same page as his receivers. There have been quite a few plays in both games where Orton zigged when his receivers zagged. The two receivers who have done the best so far are . . .

Gaffney -- comes from the NE system and worked with McD's offense already
Stokely -- arguably the smartest WR in football today

All the offensive players talk about McD's playbook being as thick as 2009 tax code books. Plus, this offensive is all about timing and execution.

I have Royal on my team and already put a waiver in for Manningham. I plan on looking elsewhere until Royal and the Broncos offense starts to click.
DrSpackle
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk