Johnny Knox - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Johnny Knox

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Johnny Knox

Postby bazzy_51 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:49 pm

thejusman1 wrote:This whole situation sounds like one to avoid. Hester might be the only starter-worthy WR for fantasy purposes because he's the clear #1 receiver. Knox and Bennett may form a committee-WR situation, limiting each others' value by making each of them far too inconsistent week to week. With Aromashodu coming back from injury soon, it might make all Bears' WRs (except Hester) fantasy irrelevant in 12-team leagues.

To me that statement is a little backwards. From watching the 2 bears games this year (for some stupid reason I'm living in Seattle and have gotten both Packer games and both Bear games but anyways...) I would say that its more of Knox and Bennett are the #1's battling for the legit #1 and Hester (listed as the WR2) is the third wheel. I don't think that this year Cutler has attempted a pass to Hester under ten yards, where as Knox and Bennett have been primo targets within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. To call Hester fantasy relevant in 12 teamers I think is a statement that can't be made right now. This like previously posted is a sticky situation and one that unless you have deeper benches I would try to stay away from.

On that note tho I said from day one in preseason that Knox would be a Bears wideout that everyone would overlook because no one knew him. He came with Cutler in the Denver trade, and albeit he came from a small college he still made some noise getting drafted that low given the scouting report on him. The kid has great speed and for a rookie runs great routes. I don't really know what preseason yall were watching but Knox looked to be THE best receiver in preseason working well with all of the Bear's QBs. Hes a rookie that has adapted quick to the system and Cutler's style. I think all this controversy would be put to rest of Lovie didn't have such a boner for playing players that SHOULD be stars, instead of benching players that COULD be stars. Knox didn't see a ton of PT week one but when he did he made his presence known, and I think Lovie finally recognized that and let him out a little more week 2. Again I will say if there is a 'sure bet' in the Bears WR core (which not entirely sure there is yet, and that sure as hell isn't Hester if there is one) it will be Johnny Knox.

One last I guess you could call mute point is this, check out the characteristics of both Hester and Knox. Knox at the combine ran a 4.3-40, which of the receivers that participated in the 40 he was 3rd fastest behind DHB and Mike Wallace. But even with the smaller college the Bears knew what kind of player they were getting as this was the 2nd pick from Abilene college in the last 3 years, since they took Daniel Manning in 2006. His size isn't too bad either, hes bigger then Hester is yet just as fast if not faster with much better hands. Remember this is only Hester's 2nd year as a WR so to me Hester and Knox are on pretty much the same playing field, only Knox has been a pure WR his whole football career.

College career:
Started out in Junior college at Tyler Junior College where he posted 884 yards and 12 TDs to lead all junior college receivers. In that time span he was ranked as the #9 on Rivals.com for the year 2007, then transfered to Abilen college.

His Junior year of college is when Knox broke onto the scene, and he wasn't even a starter to start the year until Abilene found what they had. He finished the year with 62 receptions and 1,158 yards and also a school record 17 TDs. He finished 3rd that year in TD receptions in the whole Division II football and 4th for Reception yards on Abilene's alltime list.

All roads point to Knox, wether it be with the Bears and jacka$$ Lovie, being a top receiver. Remember even tho he doesn't have great size (which if he bulks up a bit he would be one of the Bear's biggest receivers, he stands 6'0" 180, add 10-15 pounds and this kid would be a beast on wheels) neither does Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Anquan Boldin but they all have still made huge impacts on the NFL. Even Michael Crabtree and Hakeem Nicks were ranked much, much higher then Knox based on the colleges they attended are around the same size as Knox. Size really doesn't matter ALL that much if you can combo the outstanding speed Knox has along with his above average route running and very good hands.

Tellin yall Knox WILL be the Bears #1 wideout if they keep giving him these opportunities.

Senior year teams started figuring out who Knox was, and doubled and at times triple covered this guy. He still managed to rack up 56 receptions for 1,069 yards and 13 TDs. His 30 combined TDs over a 2 year span rank him #1 in Abilene school history.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby da bears » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:37 pm

Knox's probably going to stick in the return game. The Bears need Daniel Manning at free safety more than they do at kr right now which is sad but true. I wonder if the drop in targets to Bennett had anything to do with him not fighting for a couple of passes(stopped his route) that ended up getting picked off against GB?
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:41 pm

Ok, so if Hester isn't the #1, then it makes all Chicago WRs a part of a committee. That would be like owning Devery Henderson, Robert Meachem, and Lance Moore. Bennett/Hester/Knox will make for decent WR depth, but god help you if you have to start one of them, because their inconsistency is going to kill you week to week and you'll never know which one will have the big day. If Knox kills it Week 3, then I'll agree that we have a defined #1, but if Bennett gets more targets again, let the roller coaster ride begin. I'm in a limited moves league (25 full season) and I'm holding onto Bennett right now to see how this situation breaks down.
thejusman1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby da bears » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:46 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Ok, so if Hester isn't the #1, then it makes all Chicago WRs a part of a committee. That would be like owning Devery Henderson, Robert Meachem, and Lance Moore. Bennett/Hester/Knox will make for decent WR depth, but god help you if you have to start one of them, because their inconsistency is going to kill you week to week and you'll never know which one will have the big day. If Knox kills it Week 3, then I'll agree that we have a defined #1, but if Bennett gets more targets again, let the roller coaster ride begin. I'm in a limited moves league (25 full season) and I'm holding onto Bennett right now to see how this situation breaks down.

Not really like owning those guys at all. They are all the 4th, 5th, and 6th options on NO following Colston, Shockey, and Bush. All the Bears guys are going to get looks and they've only been playing together for a few months so it'll take a little bit to gel, but yea if you're in a move limit league no reason to ditch Bennett now he still should see looks and he'll be on the field more than Knox who comes in on the 3 wr sets only.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Members Only Jackets » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Knox is very fast, has good hands and is not afraid to go across the middle---as well as make the home run play.

other than that...he sucks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNFsIp26RlY
...sleep with one eye open
Members Only Jackets
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:56 pm

iamgregg wrote:Knox also returned kicks against Pittsburgh. Can any Bears fans comment on whether or not this is likely to continue with Manning starting at FS (presuming that's why he got taken off KR)?

One of my leagues scores return yards and PPR. If he even works into a WR2 rotation he could hold a lot of value

I'm in a league like that, except I drafted Daniel Manning as my DB who could get some return yardage so this isn't something I wanted to hear. :-P Tough to find DB's who return kicks at this point and I thought he was going to have a big year back there too.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby hwzdavu » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:35 am

"Knox has taken over as the Bears' primary kick returner, the Chicago Tribune reports."

Do you think this hurts his value as a WR?
hwzdavu
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)

Postby SameSongNDance » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:37 am

hwzdavu wrote:"Knox has taken over as the Bears' primary kick returner, the Chicago Tribune reports."

Yeah, I do.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:58 am

SameSongNDance wrote:
hwzdavu wrote:"Knox has taken over as the Bears' primary kick returner, the Chicago Tribune reports."

Yeah, I do.

+1. In leagues that count return yards ontop of rushing and receiving thats a big time boost for him. I also think tho its an increase in value even in leagues that don't count return yards, simply because its showing the Bear's coaching staff putting more trust in him as a player.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 2ksports » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:26 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:
SameSongNDance wrote:

Yeah, I do.

+1. In leagues that count return yards ontop of rushing and receiving thats a big time boost for him. I also think tho its an increase in value even in leagues that don't count return yards, simply because its showing the Bear's coaching staff putting more trust in him as a player.

He's saying it hurts his value, b/c generally this means you are one of the lower WRs on the depth chart.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk