Johnny Knox - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Johnny Knox

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Johnny Knox

Postby sabak19 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:50 pm

[quote="bazzy_51"][quote="thejusman1"]I don't think that this year Cutler has attempted a pass to Hester under ten yards, where as Knox and Bennett have been primo targets within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. quote]

Correction:
Cutler hooked up with Hester on a nifty little 5 yard slant for a key third down conversion on Chicago's game winning drive Sunday, and Hester was the target of and caught a couple of WR bubble screens in the game. With Chicago struggling with the run, they are using quick receiver screens as their 'run game'.

That being said, the Bears also ran at least one rub play designed specifically to free Knox up in space that went for big yardage.

In my mind Hester will continue to be the most consistent Bears WR at least over the next few weeks. Think 4-6 recepetions per game with the potential for a big play or two.
sabak19
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby da bears » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:38 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again he doesn't know all the wr positions for the Bears he was never close to taking over for Hester/Bennett unless he all of the sudden understands their positions. They've always planned on him being the 3rd/4th wr.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:15 pm

2ksports wrote:
bazzy_51 wrote:
SameSongNDance wrote:

Yeah, I do.

+1. In leagues that count return yards ontop of rushing and receiving thats a big time boost for him. I also think tho its an increase in value even in leagues that don't count return yards, simply because its showing the Bear's coaching staff putting more trust in him as a player.

He's saying it hurts his value, b/c generally this means you are one of the lower WRs on the depth chart.

Damn I read the original post wrong... i think this definitely HELPS Knox's value. How could it hurt especially if your league counts return yards? But again even if it doesn't count return yards, I don't think lower WRs=KR, I think more skilled running WR are great KR candidates such as Knox.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby hwzdavu » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:19 pm

We do not count KR yards and that is why I was asking. I should have mentioned that. But it sounds like it should not hurt his value either way. Thanks for all the comments.
hwzdavu
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:25 pm

da bears wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again he doesn't know all the wr positions for the Bears he was never close to taking over for Hester/Bennett unless he all of the sudden understands their positions. They've always planned on him being the 3rd/4th wr.

What does it really matter if he knows all the WR positions? I mean come on if thats your reasoning for saying he won't overtake Hester and Bennett then that is a terrible excuse. Knox clearly runs great routes, has amazing speed and above average hands. Added to the fact that unlike Hester he doesn't look afraid to go over the middle to make a catch (the TD pass he caught he knew he was going to get hit and still left his feet to ensure better body position to absorb the hit and make the catch at the same time). No way that Bennett holds this guy down, I mean your making Bennett out to be some super #1 here. What happened last year that Bennett was in 10 games but never even has one reception? What does that tell you? Who was there last year that isn't there this year that was holding Bennett back? Rashied Davis? Brandon Lloyd? Marty Booker? Come lets be serious Bennett had all the opportunity in the world last year to prove what hes trying to this year and he didn't get it done last year so whats going to make him get it done this year?

Knox WILL be the #1 Bears WR by mid-year without question, bare minimum. Bennett is a joke and people are just trying to feed the 'hes going to be the #1 because him and Cutler have a past'. One year together in COLLEGE ball doesn't A. create a bond between a WR/QB nor B. say that this difference this year is because of one year of experience together. Hester will be Knox out for the #1 option FARRRR before Bennett ever will.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mystykoekaki » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:36 pm

I liked Knox since this weekend but when I got to thinking about the situation I had to step back and lower my expectations. There are alot of targets in Chicago right now, Knox has been fortunate of being on the receiving end of them. And because he isn't a full time starter, you really can't rely on him much (also that he is a rookie, which isn't the most ideal situation [at least for me]).
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby da bears » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:22 am

bazzy_51 wrote:
da bears wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again he doesn't know all the wr positions for the Bears he was never close to taking over for Hester/Bennett unless he all of the sudden understands their positions. They've always planned on him being the 3rd/4th wr.

What does it really matter if he knows all the WR positions? I mean come on if thats your reasoning for saying he won't overtake Hester and Bennett then that is a terrible excuse. Knox clearly runs great routes, has amazing speed and above average hands. Added to the fact that unlike Hester he doesn't look afraid to go over the middle to make a catch (the TD pass he caught he knew he was going to get hit and still left his feet to ensure better body position to absorb the hit and make the catch at the same time). No way that Bennett holds this guy down, I mean your making Bennett out to be some super #1 here. What happened last year that Bennett was in 10 games but never even has one reception? What does that tell you? Who was there last year that isn't there this year that was holding Bennett back? Rashied Davis? Brandon Lloyd? Marty Booker? Come lets be serious Bennett had all the opportunity in the world last year to prove what hes trying to this year and he didn't get it done last year so whats going to make him get it done this year?

Knox WILL be the #1 Bears WR by mid-year without question, bare minimum. Bennett is a joke and people are just trying to feed the 'hes going to be the #1 because him and Cutler have a past'. One year together in COLLEGE ball doesn't A. create a bond between a WR/QB nor B. say that this difference this year is because of one year of experience together. Hester will be Knox out for the #1 option FARRRR before Bennett ever will.

The thing that was holding Bennett back was the fact that he didn't know the wr positions. He had trouble learning all of them. I'm here in Chicago and this had been talked about a TON and admittedly Bennett said he was struggling a bit so yea I do think not knowing the wr positions is going to effect Knox taking over for Hester or Bennett. I agree with you completely that Knox will be better than Hester/Bennett at the wr spot and it sounds stupid but that's Lovie Smith/Turner for ya.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby da bears » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:27 am

Here's Angelo talking about it
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribu ... nnett.html
They have taken a different approach with Knox as they had him focus on the slot position and knowing the Bears they will certainly give Bennett more than 8 games to prove he belongs.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby t2green2 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:06 pm

[quote="da bears"]Here's Angelo talking about it
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribu ... nnett.html
They have taken a different approach with Knox as they had him focus on the slot position and knowing the Bears they will certainly give Bennett more than 8 games to prove he belongs.[/quote]

I hear you but that was also posted in April and we are now in late September. Thinkgs may have changed. Not saying Earl is not the real deal but I think Knox has more than proven to be a threat.
t2green2
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SameSongNDance » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:30 pm

I said "Yeah, I do" to this hurting Knox's value as a WR becuase I sometimes feel a player can't perform exceptionally at both positions but really that only applies to Hester. This undoubtedly means they trust Knox. Seeing as he is a rookie, this is about the best news aside from "Knox is the clear cut #2" we could've heard. I retract my "Yeah, I do." and I'll go as far to say this mean Knox's value supersedes Bennett's without seeing the 3rd week of games.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk