Return to Football Talk

Johnny Knox

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Johnny Knox

Postby da bears » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:46 pm

t2green2 wrote:
da bears wrote:Here's Angelo talking about it
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribu ... nnett.html
They have taken a different approach with Knox as they had him focus on the slot position and knowing the Bears they will certainly give Bennett more than 8 games to prove he belongs.

I hear you but that was also posted in April and we are now in late September. Thinkgs may have changed. Not saying Earl is not the real deal but I think Knox has more than proven to be a threat.

Not saying Knox isn't more of a threat than Bennett may be. I was pointing out the fact that the Bears coaching staff will not just throw wr's at the x or z spot without them knowing all wr positions for whatever reason. Knox is going to be the 3rd wr until they fully feel comfortable with him there and they have also proved to be VERY loyal to guys who have won a position in training camp/preseason("Rex is our quarterback"). Bennett isn't going to go away or get his spot taken from him anytime soon. You don't just give a guy two games to prove himself then move on, that's absolutely ridiculous.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:01 pm

da bears wrote:
t2green2 wrote:
da bears wrote:Here's Angelo talking about it
They have taken a different approach with Knox as they had him focus on the slot position and knowing the Bears they will certainly give Bennett more than 8 games to prove he belongs.

I hear you but that was also posted in April and we are now in late September. Thinkgs may have changed. Not saying Earl is not the real deal but I think Knox has more than proven to be a threat.

Not saying Knox isn't more of a threat than Bennett may be. I was pointing out the fact that the Bears coaching staff will not just throw wr's at the x or z spot without them knowing all wr positions for whatever reason. Knox is going to be the 3rd wr until they fully feel comfortable with him there and they have also proved to be VERY loyal to guys who have won a position in training camp/preseason("Rex is our quarterback"). Bennett isn't going to go away or get his spot taken from him anytime soon. You don't just give a guy two games to prove himself then move on, that's absolutely ridiculous.

I understand what your saying, but I don't know if your veering away from/missed the point I made about last year. Knox has stepped in, his first year with the Bears, and been in the starting rotation since week one and now has retained the starting KR duties also. Bennett stepped in last year the same way Knox did this year, brand new to Lovie's system/the Bears team in general, and was a no factor at all. Last year he was beaten out, again, but the likes of Davis, Lloyd and Booker, to me that tells me something about this year. The fact that Knox has stepped in year 1 and had a starting gig, on top of that performed beyond most expectations thus far, where as in the same exact situation last year Bennett couldn't do it. To me that tells me that the Bears know that Knox is the more skilled and talented WR and that he will won't have the reigns pulled as tight as they were on Bennett last year, thus propelling Knox further at a quicker pace.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SameSongNDance » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:12 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNFsIp26RlY

I didn't know he ran a 4.34 40...
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby da bears » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:34 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:
da bears wrote:
t2green2 wrote:

I understand what your saying, but I don't know if your veering away from/missed the point I made about last year. Knox has stepped in, his first year with the Bears, and been in the starting rotation since week one and now has retained the starting KR duties also. Bennett stepped in last year the same way Knox did this year, brand new to Lovie's system/the Bears team in general, and was a no factor at all. Last year he was beaten out, again, but the likes of Davis, Lloyd and Booker, to me that tells me something about this year. The fact that Knox has stepped in year 1 and had a starting gig, on top of that performed beyond most expectations thus far, where as in the same exact situation last year Bennett couldn't do it. To me that tells me that the Bears know that Knox is the more skilled and talented WR and that he will won't have the reigns pulled as tight as they were on Bennett last year, thus propelling Knox further at a quicker pace.

Re-read that article I posted before from Angelo. It wasn't the same situation at all, they wanted Bennett to learn behind Davis, Lloyd, and Booker so he didn't get pt. It certainly wasn't that he wasn't capable it was just that there was veterans there that gave the Bears a better chance to win(according to management) since they were in the playoff race all of last year until they blew it against the Texans. During the off season they wanted to give Hester/Bennett a chance to take the top spots. Also the only reason he is keeping the kr role over Manning is because the Bears safeties are somehow worse than their wr's so they need Manning to concentrate on just that. I also said this before but they did take a different route with Knox in order to get him on the field quicker which was to have him learn the 3rd wr role and not all of the wr positions. I understand your points, it's just that the Bears don't function that way Hester/Bennett are going to get every chance in the starting roles this season but of course they are still going to figure in Knox or Aromashodu so they'll all be useful at some point this year.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Knightrider29 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:31 pm

I'm pretty sure he already is the #1 based on targets:

-------------Bennett Hester Knox
Week 1: 13(7) 4(4) 4(2)
Week 2: 2(2) 7(4) 9(6)

Let's face it, Chicago's WR's are mediocre as hell. Whoever is best at catching the ball is going to the the "#1", and so far it's been Knox. He has the speed of the three, and is also the best route runner. That's why he has had two big games.

Hester has a TD, but it was on blown coverage. Honestly, I could see him being the #3 when it's all said and done.
Knightrider29
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby t2green2 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:19 pm

[quote="da bears"][quote="t2green2"][quote="da bears"]Here's Angelo talking about it
They have taken a different approach with Knox as they had him focus on the slot position and knowing the Bears they will certainly give Bennett more than 8 games to prove he belongs.[/quote]

I hear you but that was also posted in April and we are now in late September. Thinkgs may have changed. Not saying Earl is not the real deal but I think Knox has more than proven to be a threat.[/quote]

Not saying Knox isn't more of a threat than Bennett may be. I was pointing out the fact that the Bears coaching staff will not just throw wr's at the x or z spot without them knowing all wr positions for whatever reason. Knox is going to be the 3rd wr until they fully feel comfortable with him there and they have also proved to be VERY loyal to guys who have won a position in training camp/preseason("Rex is our quarterback"). Bennett isn't going to go away or get his spot taken from him anytime soon. You don't just give a guy two games to prove himself then move on, that's absolutely ridiculous.[/quote]

I was wrong....There I admit it and feel better. Bennett is over Knox for now and for the near future. Now having Knox and starting him did net me points as I am in a PPR + returns league.
t2green2
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby shawngee03 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:28 pm

with the TD and return yards i made out good...over 10 points....but i cant be happy with the 1 catch.

any info on how many looks he got? i hope more than 1
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bazzy_51 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:42 pm

shawngee03 wrote:with the TD and return yards i made out good...over 10 points....but i cant be happy with the 1 catch.

3 Targets, 1 Catch...

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby da bears » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:42 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:
shawngee03 wrote:with the TD and return yards i made out good...over 10 points....but i cant be happy with the 1 catch.

3 Targets, 1 Catch...

2 of them were red zone. One ended up in a td the other ended up getting picked, although the pick was Cutler's fault. bears struggling to run the ball is leading to 3 wr sets around the goal line so that's a plus. I'm still holding him as a solid bye week fill in/injury replacement.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk