Mario Manningham - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Mario Manningham

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Mario Manningham

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:12 pm

Good to see that the children are able to play nice in this thread. :-S
Image
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 874
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Jumping The Snap

Re: Mario Manningham

Postby Maris09 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:16 pm

2ksports wrote:Regarding why I talk up Steve Smith, I've been talking him up since before the season started. I saw several signs that point to him having a breakout year. Him producing what he has is expected, and yet people are jumping all over Manningham and projecting him higher similarly to how people were grabbing Hixon and Nicks when I was drafting Smith 2-3 rounds later. This is all amusing to me b/c if you consider the situation as a whole, Manningham's chances of surpassing Smith in fantasy production over the course of a full season is unlikely.

I've said multiple times that I like Steve Smith as a fantasy option, and that he truly is their #1 and most trusted receiver. Just that Mario fills more of the big play role and can do a little of what they've been missing from Plaxico. I could see it turning into a bit of a Toomer/Plaxico situation (with Smith having more impact than Toomer did).
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1000
Joined: 3 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mario Manningham

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:19 pm

I don't know why I thought this, but I always thought Manningham was taller than Smith. I thought it was a 5'10" to 6'1" type thing, but sure enough, there they both are at 5'11". I figured part of why Manningham was more of a deep thread could be due to height, but that's clearly not the case. Regardless of 40-times, Manningham certainly appears to be more explosive on the field, out of his breaks, etc. I'd say he has more game speed than Smith does. But again, much like another former Wolverine, as was already pointed out, Mario has the potential to go through stints of the dropsies. I don't think either of these guys is a bad option as long as Nicks and Hixon are on the shelf, and see Smith being the guy who snags more balls, with Manningham having the bigger upside for breakout games and longer TDs. I'm wondering who the primary goal line target will be, though, when they aren't trying to pound it in with Jacobs and Bradshaw.

And I didn't even insult anybody. How 'bout that.
Image
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 874
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Jumping The Snap

Re: Mario Manningham

Postby TheDiplomats » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:43 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I don't know why I thought this, but I always thought Manningham was taller than Smith. I thought it was a 5'10" to 6'1" type thing, but sure enough, there they both are at 5'11". I figured part of why Manningham was more of a deep thread could be due to height, but that's clearly not the case. Regardless of 40-times, Manningham certainly appears to be more explosive on the field, out of his breaks, etc. I'd say he has more game speed than Smith does. But again, much like another former Wolverine, as was already pointed out, Mario has the potential to go through stints of the dropsies. I don't think either of these guys is a bad option as long as Nicks and Hixon are on the shelf, and see Smith being the guy who snags more balls, with Manningham having the bigger upside for breakout games and longer TDs. I'm wondering who the primary goal line target will be, though, when they aren't trying to pound it in with Jacobs and Bradshaw.

And I didn't even insult anybody. How 'bout that.

It looked to me like the Giants did not have any options at the goal line. Jacobs was routinely getting stuffed and Manning did not know who to throw to now that he doesn't have Plaxico running fades.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1942
Joined: 5 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Mario Manningham

Postby Azrael » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:14 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Good to see that the children are able to play nice in this thread. :-S


Yeah how bout it. You guys want a sandbox?
Image
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 8283
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Keeping da cafe sucka free for 9 years straight

Re: Mario Manningham

Postby BLT4ME » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:41 pm

is he worth the #1 waiver priority for this week even if he would probably only be a bye week filler plus an occasional flex start?
BLT4ME
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 72
Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Mario Manningham

Postby moochman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:56 pm

BLT4ME wrote:is he worth the #1 waiver priority for this week even if he would probably only be a bye week filler plus an occasional flex start?


That is a very open-ended question. A lot would depend on your roster, league, and scoring settings. If you have a hole at WR I would be tempted. The Giants badly wanted Hixon or Nicks to fill the role Plaxico had and they each failed for various reasons. If Mario Moneyhands can fill that role he should be a valuable WR from time to time this season. What more would you hope for with your priority?

(Unless your leaguemates have a history of dropping slumping talent-then you may want to reconsider.)
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Mario Manningham

Postby Stelly » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:55 pm

Anyone else starting Super Mario @ TB this weekend? I picked him up and am benching E. Royal and L. Evans for Super Mario. Not sure about sitting Evans, but we'll see...
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1271
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 15 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Mario Manningham

Postby killiansjmd » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:11 pm

Stelly wrote:Anyone else starting Super Mario @ TB this weekend? I picked him up and am benching E. Royal and L. Evans for Super Mario. Not sure about sitting Evans, but we'll see...


I'm starting him this weekend. Tampa Bay's secondary has been shredded apart the first two weeks by Dallas and Buffalo.
Image
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7929
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS

Re: Mario Manningham

Postby 2ksports » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:10 pm

Stelly wrote:Anyone else starting Super Mario @ TB this weekend? I picked him up and am benching E. Royal and L. Evans for Super Mario. Not sure about sitting Evans, but we'll see...


With Nicks and Hixon out, Manningham will again be WR2. The smart thing to do is to ride him and trade him right before Nicks and Hixon come back. With another couple of weeks of production, you could get somebody good for Manningham, based on the posts I'm seeing here. Keep in mind that Tampa is one of the best defenses against opponents #2 WRs, and one of the worst vs the team's #1 WR. If you believe that stat, then Steve Smith should have a big day and Manningham a bad day.

Royal hasn't shown anything, but Evans always has that random once-in-a-season game vs bad pass defenses, just hope this week vs NO isn't it.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1276
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 19 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 18:14 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact