huge league problem on yahoo...anyone have any clue? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

huge league problem on yahoo...anyone have any clue?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: huge league problem on yahoo...anyone have any clue?

Postby letsgobirds » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:03 pm

2ksports wrote:You should keep randomizing it until you get the correct win loss records. Disregard the matchups. Hope you know what I meant.

This is Yahoo's fault for wording it in a confusing way.

yeah we were also trying to do, about 60 tries in i hadn't got that yet, but i guess i'll just keep trying.
letsgobirds
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 204BC » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:18 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:You have to restore the W/L records to what they were before the schedule shuffling. I couldn't disagree more with your first response. Though I don't know how to fix it, I'm sure if you give the problem due diligence, you can find a solution. Fantasy Genie will probably chime in.

I understand if you disagree. If I were in the league I wouldn't like to leave it either, but honestly I don't see any way to fix it unless Yahoo steps in.

letsgobirds wrote:
2ksports wrote:You should keep randomizing it until you get the correct win loss records. Disregard the matchups. Hope you know what I meant.

This is Yahoo's fault for wording it in a confusing way.

yeah we were also trying to do, about 60 tries in i hadn't got that yet, but i guess i'll just keep trying.

To get the same records might be doable, but to get the same matchups would be darn near impossible. If this were a 12 team league the probability that a single team would get the same two matchups for weeks one and two is only 4.76% (one divided by the number of possibilities or 1/21 in this case). The probablitily that all 12 teams get the same matchups is exponentially higher. Something like 0.03% chance or about 1 in 3333. You've tried 60 times, so you'd only have 2970 more tries to go.

To get the same records though, regardless of schedule, is much more easily accomplished. The probablility that a 2 - 0 team will still be 2 - 0 is 33% since there are only three possibilities (0-2, 1-1 or 2-0) so 1/3 is pretty good odds. For all twelve teams you've got about a 3% chance which is a 1 in 33 proposition. Since you've already tried 60 times your odds really should be improving.
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby letsgobirds » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:32 pm

thanks guys,and thanks for the math 204, just got it so that all the schedules are the same. probably about 115-130 tries in...
letsgobirds
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Maris09 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:54 pm

2ksports wrote:This is Yahoo's fault for wording it in a confusing way.

Attempting to change something like this after the season starts is just asking for trouble.
Don't see how Yahoo can get the blame on it at all.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thejusman1 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:56 pm

letsgobirds wrote:thanks guys,and thanks for the math 204, just got it so that all the schedules are the same. probably about 115-130 tries in...

If I were in your league I would demand you try 3333 times and get it perfect! }:-)
thejusman1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby joejlitz » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:20 am

Moved to Commish's Corner. ;-D
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Rob035 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:05 pm

I have an idea. Change the points like you suggested to get everyone's record to where it should be. Now figure out the difference in each team's points. After a couple more weeks add or subtract this number to the games after week 2 without affecting the outcomes. This will keep the records and point totals the same.

PS: It's WAY more than 1 in 3333 to get the same exact schedule. Getting the first team's schedule right is 1 in 110 alone. (1/11)*(1/10). Getting the entire schedule right is close to 1 in 40 million.
Rob035
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:10 pm

It sounds like the original poster has managed to get the schedule back via repeated shuffling. Sorry for that inconvenience - I bet your league Transactions page is a bit messy now, eh?

In case anyone else is dealing with this dilemma:
1) I fixed the code so that going forward the shuffle button won't touch past weeks.
2) I also changed the code so that customer care can edit a custom schedule even for weeks that already occurred. So if anyone is in the confused state, and knows what the schedule used to be, then customer care can put it back for them.

Both of these fixes are not yet deployed - we're trying to figure out when they'll go live. Should be next week at the latest.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:26 pm

Thats awesome that Yahoo reads the boards.
DaSh 1s
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby 2ksports » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:41 pm

Maris09 wrote:
2ksports wrote:This is Yahoo's fault for wording it in a confusing way.

Attempting to change something like this after the season starts is just asking for trouble.
Don't see how Yahoo can get the blame on it at all.

Take this from someone who makes a living off of application UI design, it's definitely the fault of the UI to allow something like this to happen.

You can't blame the user as there are so many edge case scenarios in which schedule changes can happen. Not allowing a way to revert back to something as important as already played schedules is an oversight (although minor one) by the Yahoo! UI team.

Kudos to the Yahoo! team for recognizing and fixing the issue.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner