How do you look at BYE weeks? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How do you look at BYE weeks?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How do you look at BYE weeks?

Postby SameSongNDance » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:50 pm

On my one team, I have Chris Johnson, Kevin Smith and Julius Jones on my team. They all have week 7 byes. Now usually I look at a situation like this and think, " I have to diversify, I need to trade for players with more balanced bye weeks." Recently, I've been thinking the inverse, I've been thinking of looking for Top WR's who have week 7 byes and try an make it so i forfeit week 7 to have all my players available for the whole season. Maybe even convince my week 7 opponent that I'll give him a freebie for money or for a future fantasy favor. Am I crazy?
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: How do you look at BYE weeks?

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:25 am

SameSongNDance wrote:On my one team, I have Chris Johnson, Kevin Smith and Julius Jones on my team. They all have week 7 byes. Now usually I look at a situation like this and think, " I have to diversify, I need to trade for players with more balanced bye weeks." Recently, I've been thinking the inverse, I've been thinking of looking for Top WR's who have week 7 byes and try an make it so i forfeit week 7 to have all my players available for the whole season. Maybe even convince my week 7 opponent that I'll give him a freebie for money or for a future fantasy favor. Am I crazy?

I've always drafted, traded and otherwise acquired players with an eye to their byes.

But this season, I've run into someone who has the exact opposite viewpoint- he says you want all your players with the same bye. You'll stink it up one week, but every other week, every one of your players, or most of your starters, will be available, barring injuries.

Oh, and I don't think the freebie ideas are the best. I'd think a trade of minor players, or acquiring late 2010 picks, would be reasonable. Depending on the league, of course.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby sirchadwick1 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:44 am

My 3 starting RB's are CJ4.24, Kevin Smith, and Ray Rice. They all have week 7 byes. I have Ahmad Bradshaw and Lesean McCoy as backups, but I'd have to be hoping for a lot out of them to keep me in contention for week 7. The chances that both Jacobs and Westbrook go down at the same time are slim. Right now I'm throwing trade offers out there, but no one is biting. I'm not going to go overboard and get a lesser RB just to cover my big BYE week though. If it comes down to it, I'll suck it up and take a loss... but I'll keep wheelin and dealin until I hit the right spot. I'm not a big fan of drafing around BYE weeks or drafting to pick up everyone on the same BYE week b/c you really limit yourself there reaching for talent or taking someone you normally wouldn't. When I draft I do keep an eye on the BYEs, but it's not the determining factor in who I pick. It's just a good way to pick a player if I'm undecided - whoever has the most convenient bye is who I'm taking.
2010 12-team .5PPR
QB - Ryan, Vick
RB - S. Greene, Forte, Stewart, F. Jones, Sproles
WR - Moss, Megatron, NYG Smith, Floyd, M. Williams (TB)
TE - Cooley
D - CIN (week to week)
K - Bironas
sirchadwick1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby joejlitz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:36 pm

I don't consider bye weeks at all until I get to my first bench player. At that point, it is important to me that I don't draft a backup with the same bye week. Drafting all your players with the same bye week on purpose is an exercise in futility. Injuries and missed projections will screw all of that up.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby moochman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:14 am

joejlitz wrote:I don't consider bye weeks at all until I get to my first bench player. At that point, it is important to me that I don't draft a backup with the same bye week. Drafting all your players with the same bye week on purpose is an exercise in futility. Injuries and missed projections will screw all of that up.

I played in a league that has a real tough rule against stacking a team with the same bye weeks. If you didn't play a full roster your highest drafted player on his bye couldn't play the next week either. The commish had an issue with two of the owners who would tank a bye week. Didn't agree with is, so left the league but it was an interesting way to combat that strategy.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:23 am

moochman wrote:
I played in a league that has a real tough rule against stacking a team with the same bye weeks. If you didn't play a full roster your highest drafted player on his bye couldn't play the next week either. The commish had an issue with two of the owners who would tank a bye week. Didn't agree with is, so left the league but it was an interesting way to combat that strategy.

i hate this....i hate when commish's make silly rules to combat valid strategies. part of the fun of fantasy is having a strategy that you feel is the best way to win the league(and of course this does not apply to streaming in baseball...i dont knwo why, probably bc i just hate it so much...even though it sounds liek im being a little hypocritical :*)
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Football Talk