When is it too late? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

When is it too late?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: When to deal the aging star?

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:03 pm

Deal as soon as you see them in a leather jacket and water skis attempting to Jump The Shark.
urbanbreez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When is it too late?

Postby moochman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:20 am

I think in the case of a guy like LT I would have had to seriously explore trade options as soon as I heard his team didn't want to resign him to a big contract. If you waited until now, you lost a ton of value in the trade moving forward. (<--I hate that saying, BTW)

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bungle613 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:38 am

moochman wrote:I think in the case of a guy like LT I would have had to seriously explore trade options as soon as I heard his team didn't want to resign him to a big contract. If you waited until now, you lost a ton of value in the trade moving forward. (<--I hate that saying, BTW)

My boss likes "going forward" drives me nuts as well. Nice sig BTW Mooch

Agreed, very specific things would need to happen to get LT up to full value again. Several things have been identified to look for in delaing the old dude. RB's are fairly easy though. Carries and age are the 2 biggest imo.

What still puzzles me is all the tell tale signs. In hindsight there were several key things that could have been triggers for dealing someone like LT. What about a WR like Owens? Older, more dings each year, team didn't want him, stats decreasing each year. Now, is the window closed on him to get the most value in a deal? Should all dynasty owners have sold last December on Ownes for the best price?

Anyone else in the league currently have any tell tale signs it is time to deal him? Jones is the obvious choice but honestly, I thought he was done 2 years ago. Goes to show you that the team not wanting him, older and dings aren't a guarantee for decline.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby lacunacoiler » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:07 am

in a keeper league, i wouldnt mind holding LT as much as i can since likely he won't be part of my keeper plans & i may have better young keepers... assuming you draft LT in the 1st 2 rnds in a keeper league, you should already know that you will need a solid backup rb's just in case he breaks down.. It's just surprising that LT's demise has begun sooner than i have expected..

in a dynasty league, definitely you gotta trade him while he has some value.. but the question is what kind of value are you gonna get from him; is it anything close to a potential 1st rnd pick value or just an outside top50 value??

If i were an LT owner, i would hold onto him & wait for 2 big games so i can maximize his trade value.. right now since he is injured, his trade value based from his adp is too low, no one would likely trade their solid future talent for a guy that is on the decline.. his trade value as of now is like trading LT for a mike bush/felix jones.. its like trading for a young talent that has alot of potential, but may not play to his full potential...

in dynasty leagues: if im going for the league championship now & have an old productive player like westy, LT, thomas jones, moss, kurt warner, dmcnabb, etc, then im gonna hold onto these guys as far as these guys can take me.. but if playoffs is a far reach, then i would target those playoff teams to see what they can do to help me rebuild quicker...
lacunacoiler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jnormy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:55 am

bungle613 wrote:I watched almost an enitre league I commish get all grumpy about a guy who dealt Harrison and Alexander at the end of 2007 for Colston and a 2nd, quite possibly the most intuitive deal I have ever seen made.

Hey Moe, I just happened upon this thread while poking around in here and it brought back some memories! lol I just want to state for the record that I was one of the owners who defended the Colston side of the deal! ;-D
jnormy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:56 am

lacunacoiler wrote:in dynasty leagues: if im going for the league championship now & have an old productive player like westy, LT, thomas jones, moss, kurt warner, dmcnabb, etc, then im gonna hold onto these guys as far as these guys can take me.. but if playoffs is a far reach, then i would target those playoff teams to see what they can do to help me rebuild quicker...

this...it depends if you want to Win Now or are in rebuilding mode...personally, i always try to win now until it's obvious i need to go into a full on rebuild. i think too many guys in Dynasty Leagues get caught up in the future

i actually traded for LT in my Dynasty...i gave Caddy, Jonathan Stewart and Kevin Boss for LT and Celek...my goal is to win this year...
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:58 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
lacunacoiler wrote:in dynasty leagues: if im going for the league championship now & have an old productive player like westy, LT, thomas jones, moss, kurt warner, dmcnabb, etc, then im gonna hold onto these guys as far as these guys can take me.. but if playoffs is a far reach, then i would target those playoff teams to see what they can do to help me rebuild quicker...

this...it depends if you want to Win Now or are in rebuilding mode...personally, i always try to win now until it's obvious i need to go into a full on rebuild. i think too many guys in Dynasty Leagues get caught up in the future

i actually traded for LT in my Dynasty...i gave Caddy, Jonathan Stewart and Kevin Boss for LT and Celek...my goal is to win this year...

If I owned LT in a dysnastyk league I would have to hope he scores well in weeks 10-12, vs Phillie, Denver, and KC. That could restore some trade value for teams making a playoff push.

Bungle, my snazzy sig is in response to having the lowest points total in the Lions fans King of the Jungle league. With help from LT, Welker, and Hasselbeck I manage to be the laughing-stock this week. Gotta love it. :-D :~(

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:03 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:i actually traded for LT in my Dynasty...i gave Caddy, Jonathan Stewart and Kevin Boss for LT and Celek...my goal is to win this year...

Wow. JStew for LT.

On topic- when's the right time to trade a formerly elite non-RB? Well, I'd trade him right before signs of a collapse. Age and playing style style (a player that relies on athleticism vs a technician- a Brady vs Vick, DeSean vs Harrison) are two things I'd watch to try to anticipate a collapse. Other things I consider- offensive philosophy, running game, offensive line, and the team's defensive secondary.

moochman wrote:If I owned LT in a dysnastyk league I would have to hope he scores well in weeks 10-12, vs Phillie, Denver, and KC. That could restore some trade value for teams making a playoff push.

As an LT owner in a keeper league, good point, Mooch. On top of that, if you spin it this way, the SD playoff games are decent to good- Dal, Cin, Ten.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Football Talk