Trade Frequency - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Trade Frequency

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trade Frequency

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:19 am

I've noticed that, for whatever reason, I haven't been offering as many trades this year as in years past. Last year I was constantly probing the market looking for bargains from frustrated owners. This year I've been waiting for trade offers to come to me and they've been few and far between.

How do you guys handle the trading game? Do you throw out as many offers as possible and hope one sticks? Wait for offers to come to you then enter negotiations with the proposing owner (if you don't like the offer as it stands)?

Furthermore, in prior years, typically I'll be in the DTKW forum answering 5-10 questions per day. This year I haven't been around as often to lend advice. But I have noticed that when I am giving advice, I'll typically spot things that I would've otherwise missed and come up with trade ideas for my own teams after looking over the trades in DTKW.

It's time for me to get back in the game...
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Frequency

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:34 am

my situation has actually been declining the past few years. when my friends and i first started about 5 years ago we were fresh out of college and were all about anything fantasy...so trade talks were going on all the time

now everyone is starting families and getting busy w careers and stuff.

trades have almost become exstinct in all sports. we basically draft a team. check it every once in a while and pick up guys when we need to

it kind of sucks for me since im in front of my comp all day wasting time on the Cafe :-) ...so im ready to go. i have sent out a few feeler emails and trades this year so far...only to get no response or one that basically says they dont have the time to go through the trading process

i have noticed in one active league i joined that just updating your trading block or posting your teams needs will not do it. i feel you have to make some direct contact w someone to get the ball rolling. a simple email asking if they want to trade will do it
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:18 am

It's kind of funny with me actually. When I first joined a league with my buddies, there were NEVER any trades until I broke the ice and started dealing all over the place...now there are probably more trades initiated by everyone else than me on a yearly basis.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Jai » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:03 am

In this one money league I'm convinced it's full of insecure numbskulls that think once someone makes an offer for your player that the person making the offer knows something you don't. I've made approx 10 offers over the last couple of weeks and only one was declined while the rest sat in limbo until I cancelled it. I even went as far as offering Percy Harvin and Ryan Grant for Kevin Smith just to see and that's the one that got declined 8-o. I don't know what the deal is but this season (been in it for 4 years now) it seems no one's willing to make a trade :-t .
Jai
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:05 am

i've only made 1 trade so far this year...i'm happy with most of my players and there isnt anyone i'm itching to get right now, but i havent really been scouring my leagues rosters for potential trades either
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby sirchadwick1 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:10 am

My first 3 years in FF, I was trading left and right. I also won 2 out of the 3 years in my $ leagues. This year I've proposed at least 5 trades to pick up some buy lows... and well no one is biting. Maybe it's because of my success from the previous years in trading. Theyr'e catching on and they know better than do deal their guys to me... lol. It looks like I'm going to be Mr. WW this year. I've already made 6 moves and feel like my team is getting stronger each week. Sometimes you just have to know when to hold em and when to fold em. My problem is that all 3 of my RB's have BYE weeks in week 7. Time is slowly ticking and I want to trade at least one of my RB's to soften the damage I receive that week. I know if I wait until week 6 to trade that I'll be out of luck and crossing my fingers on my WW fill-ins.
2010 12-team .5PPR
QB - Ryan, Vick
RB - S. Greene, Forte, Stewart, F. Jones, Sproles
WR - Moss, Megatron, NYG Smith, Floyd, M. Williams (TB)
TE - Cooley
D - CIN (week to week)
K - Bironas
sirchadwick1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SameSongNDance » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:49 am

sirchadwick1 wrote:My first 3 years in FF, I was trading left and right. I also won 2 out of the 3 years in my $ leagues. This year I've proposed at least 5 trades to pick up some buy lows... and well no one is biting. Maybe it's because of my success from the previous years in trading. Theyr'e catching on and they know better than do deal their guys to me... lol. It looks like I'm going to be Mr. WW this year. I've already made 6 moves and feel like my team is getting stronger each week. Sometimes you just have to know when to hold em and when to fold em. My problem is that all 3 of my RB's have BYE weeks in week 7. Time is slowly ticking and I want to trade at least one of my RB's to soften the damage I receive that week. I know if I wait until week 6 to trade that I'll be out of luck and crossing my fingers on my WW fill-ins.

I'm in the same boat as you. I tried trading for Forte and Jacobs with CJ424 to soften my week 7 blow and THEY DIDNT BITE at all, of course I mixed some other things into the trade. I'm not really pressed to make any moves yet though. Also, If CJ does anything against the Jets I'll be inclined to stick with him for the rest of the year.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby the izzy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:07 pm

shawngee03 wrote:my situation has actually been declining the past few years. when my friends and i first started about 5 years ago we were fresh out of college and were all about anything fantasy...so trade talks were going on all the time

now everyone is starting families and getting busy w careers and stuff.

trades have almost become exstinct in all sports. we basically draft a team. check it every once in a while and pick up guys when we need to

same. I started doing fantasy back in '03 (first year in college). Since we all lived on the same floor, everybody in the league would talk about trades all day, and we'd have about 5 trades a week. Now that we've all graduated and moved away (some working on their masters, some w/ children, one actually moved to China), we hardly ever do any trades. It seems that any trades that are done are typically the result of two guys hanging out and talking about doing a trade. For instance, I went disc golfing w/ a friend about a month back during fantasy baseball, and it lead to about 3 trades that probably wouldn't have happened.

Also, most people are afraid to trade. We've had only 2 trade this year, and it was pre-season. A guy traded away A. Peterson to another team. Then to two teams played each other week 1 and the guy that traded away Peterson got destroyed.
the izzy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk