Adrian Peterson punishing defenders - cause for worry? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Adrian Peterson punishing defenders - cause for worry?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Adrian Peterson punishing defenders - cause for worry?

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:43 am

It's a lot of fun watching Adrian Peterson punishing a defender when he could just as easily step out of bounds, but is anyone else getting worried about the long term effects on his career (and short term injuries)? Is this going to be another guy that sees his magical dropoff line extended down to 28 rather than the usual 31 or so?

In the video below you can see what I'm talking about. Those hits, especially the first one, are just brutal, and he could've just as easily stepped out of bounds. I'm guessing that his current back problems came from that first hit, so hopefully someone on the coaching staff will tell him to take it easy when there's no more yards to be gained anyway, since he already takes a pounding.

Here's the video, and these are just from this past week's game. That first hit just just about gives me chills:

Video: Adrian Peterson runs angry
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Adrian Peterson punishing defenders - cause for worry?

Postby FFslacker » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:52 am

It worries me watching him and just waiting to see him get hurt because of his play style. But I don't think anyone is going to change his play style. He doesn't care about 2-3 years from now, he only cares about the here and now. And right now he wants to hit people and gain as much yardage per play as he can heh.
FFslacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:32 am

This violent running style is a lot of what makes him so good. He'll take on anyone, anytime, any day (and All Day)...as a coach, what are you going to do? Tell him not to try so hard? Nah, he's the best player on your team and a for a team where the window of opportunity is right now...you need him to do everything that he can.

He has always played like this. And he's not going to stop now.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:38 am

His running style, combined with his injury history in college, is what led me to not rate him high when he entered the league. Right now, I might list him as the #1 RB, but hesitantly.

He runs like MBIII. From my perspective, their running style is something to potentially be concerned about for their long-term careers, it IS a concern.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby SameSongNDance » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:40 am

Injury will always be a concern with AP but by now all of us of weighed the risks and dubbed him the top RB regardless. It seems like 1 out of every 10 of those plays where he could technically step out of bounds but goes for the home run, he actually gets the home run. Without that type of play style, I don't know if he'd be the home run hitting #1 RB. He'd still be top 5 though haha.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby FFslacker » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:05 pm

The only prob with that particular vid is he had no chance of hitting a home run. He just absolutely wanted to hit that defended. :-b
FFslacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:10 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:This violent running style is a lot of what makes him so good. He'll take on anyone, anytime, any day (and All Day)...as a coach, what are you going to do? Tell him not to try so hard? Nah, he's the best player on your team and a for a team where the window of opportunity is right now...you need him to do everything that he can.

He has always played like this. And he's not going to stop now.

Bingo!

This kid is fricken electric, and I'm sure would have a solid career without striking fear in opposing Ds knowing he will pull a Mac Truck over their a$$. But if you take that aggressiveness and will to get those extra 2-3 yards out of AP hes going to turn more human and be the everyday shifty, quick back. AP has a reputation now and I don't for see that changing anytime soon, nor would I want it to. He is a beast and I'm sorry to say but I would much rather stud performances from him (fantasy wise or real life, just like this guy all around) each week with an occasional injury, than averageness each week while playing every single snap.

Point blank I think that it could potentially hurt his long term, but what you will get out of him up until that point with be damn near record book material. Can't say enough about the respect I have for the Petersons and MBIIIs and players with that mentality of 'I could step out of bounds here or I could get those extra 2-3 yards, f*ck it thats what this team gave me pads and a helmet for. DL, DB or LB you have met your match.' I hate these prancy pricks who get paid millions upon millions and catch a pass or break a run and get within 5 yards of a defender and run out of bounds, instead of lowering their pads and taking that guy out. AP is a special talent and I really think that his running style is what has and what will make his legacy for years to come.

AP for Pres! lol jk! ;-D ;-D

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kemper5 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Skip Bayless talked about this very topic in great length on ESPN 1st and 10 the other day..I think while it's all good and fun to watch All Day right now, in 5 years from now or so he will have slowed down quite a bit if he keeps this up. Like Skip said this could lead to a pretty short career (5-8 years?)

n
kemper5
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:34 pm

I think he would be a better RB if he learned to avoid contact. Look at the NFL and tell me how many RBs have there been who have run like a bulldozer through defenders like ADP does. There weren't many, and most had a short shelf-life. And I don't know that any had his speed and cutting ability. He would be better served to work on a last second juke and run move than to run over people. The one out of 20 times he does that and breaks free will add up to much more than all the yards he gets plowing into people.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby u_fig_eater » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:45 pm

That's what makes him so good. If he can strike fear into defenders, that makes him perform that much better. Surely DB are aware of how hard he runs. The more tentative they are, the more he runs over / past them. That's what allows him to literally throw people aside.

After Shawn Alexander got his big contract, all he cared about was protecting his body instead of going for the hard contact. And what happened is that also affected his ability to shed tacklers. When you're on the field, I don't think you can fine-tune intensity, especially if you run as hard as Adrian. He's petal to the metal, and the hard hits are a part of it.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk