PREVENT Defense??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

PREVENT Defense???

Moderator: Football Moderators

PREVENT Defense???

Postby LeBron James » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:05 pm

Why oh why oh why do teams still use this useless, worthless strategy??? Prevent defense prevents the team that's using it from winning. I guess head coaches never got this memo.

I believed it happened to the Raiders in week 1. They did a great job on Rivers all game, then near the end of the game when they had the lead, they just let him dump off these easy 10-15 yard gains. I know the prevent is supposed to limit the BIG long pass gains, but if your defense hasn't allowed a long pass all game, why change it up all of a sudden? Just to "play it safe"???

If I were a head coach at the end of a close game and my team was leading and the other team had the ball with 3-4 minutes left, I would stick to my regular defense I used all game. If anything I would even do the complete opposite. The other team is expecting a prevent defense, I would blitz more, put the pressure on the QB.

And also, I would almost rather be the team that's behind in a close game with the ball because I know I will drive down the field with ease.

I see prevent defense ALL the time, and 99% of the time it doesn't work. Ok, I am exaggerating but I know that % isn't too far off.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: PREVENT Defense???

Postby Dawinner127 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:23 pm

I hate seeing the prevent defense. Last year whenever the Jets had a lead, Mangini would have them in it a ridiculous amount. We were beating the Cardinals last year by a large amount, then all of a sudden we go into a prevent defense and we got torched and it ended up being a somewhat closer game than it should have. Absolutely hate the prevent defense. Like you said, stick to the defense that has been working the entire game, no need to switch it up.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:32 pm

The prevent D is on paper a good strategy. Cut down the risk of gamebreaking big plays by putting in more secondary and make opposing teams use more plays to succeed. More plays = more chance of drive killing mistakes.
On turf is where this falls apart. Teams gain momentum as they methodically march down the field, the D gets tired, and scoring ensues.
Problem is most head coaches would rather do something play not to lose on one big broken play.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:38 pm

reminds me of the old Lions "Bend but dont break" offense :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LeBron James » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:46 pm

moochman wrote:The prevent D is on paper a good strategy. Cut down the risk of gamebreaking big plays by putting in more secondary and make opposing teams use more plays to succeed. More plays = more chance of drive killing mistakes.
On turf is where this falls apart. Teams gain momentum as they methodically march down the field, the D gets tired, and scoring ensues.
Problem is most head coaches would rather do something play not to lose on one big broken play.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking also, the "play not to lose" and "save my own ass" mentallity, lol. It's ironic because most of the time, they WILL lose and sometimes, lose their jobs down the line.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby kickureface » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:38 pm

prevent is used in the last second hail mary shots that could be the game changer and underneath routes dont matter.

some coaches did not follow that you DONT use it during 2 minute drills
kickureface
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk