Why don't survivalists build more tree houses? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Why don't survivalists build more tree houses?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why don't survivalists build more tree houses?

Postby urbanbreez » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:18 pm

On the National Geographic Channel there is a new show, "Alone in the Wild" It's similar to other shows like "Man V. Wild" and "SurvivorMan." I love these shows because they make me want to grow a Chuck Norris beard and campout in my backyard. If my wife would let me, I would do these things for extended periods of time (or until dinner is served) but of course, she's a ball-buster and refuses to acknowledge my requests so -- I'm stuck living vicariously.

The basic premise is always wilderness and man trying to survive in it. Aside from the cold and starvation, getting eaten by bears or bear like things is always a concern. Bears seem enjoy roaming around and sniffing the ground to eat things they find in a very painful manner. Bears think of people resting in sleeping bags like delicious little burritos.

Now, I'm no survival expert but I do know at least one thing about bears.

1. The rule about food, for humans, is that its to be hoisted into a tree. This I assume is because it's harder for a bear to detect/eat.

From what I've seen in pictures and on tv there are lots of trees in Alaska, some of them grow within close proximity to each other. One could maybe even connect horizontal logs of wood between these groups of trees in an orderly fashion to construct a platform, not unlike a floor.

It strikes me as odd that they never build a tree house. Why? Chances of a bear climbing a tree to eat you have to be less than if you were sleeping on tera firma --that's why you put the food there, duh.

If you're going to put the foodies up there, why wouldn't you find a different tree and put yourself up there to?
urbanbreez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why don't survivalists build more tree houses?

Postby Santacruzer » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:47 am

With your creative post I'm not sure if you are looking for a response or not, but here one goes. :-D

Bears are amazingly proficient at climbing trees. It's not that putting your food in a tree is the key to bear protection, it's where you put the food. It has to be out several feet from the truck, out on a limb. Not the most ideal spot for a slumbering human who can toss and turn in more comfortable and ideal settings.

There is a product that called a bivy sack. Something that can be somewhat used for what you are thinking. I've never had the luxury of sleeping in one, but as it was once described to me: "you sleep like a baby in one - you wake up every hour and cry".
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby urbanbreez » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:57 pm

Ah, ha. And, yes -- I was looking for a response. ;-D

You're saying that the food in trees protocal has more to do with the security of mid air dangling and less to do with a bears ability to climb trees and detect edible objects in elevated circumstances?

I'm thinking about that right now and wondering why the bear wouldn't be able to break whatever limb the food is hanging from. :-?
urbanbreez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:13 pm

urbanbreez wrote:I'm thinking about that right now and wondering why the bear wouldn't be able to break whatever limb the food is hanging from. :-?

The Bear won't break the limb. Remember he is full after eating you in your tree house.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:31 am

Bears typically will not bother you in your tent/sleeping bag unless you are careless with a few things. Stay away from obvious bear feeding areas, keep food and anything that smells away from you, don't wear the same clothes you've cooked in, dispose of waste properly and away from where you're sleeping, etc. Pitching a tent in an open area away from thick brush or trails is also advised. Bears are predatory and instinctual. They won't intentionally be looking for a human burrito. Keeping those scents and smells away is the best preventative measure you can make. If you're an avid watcher of the shows you mentioned, you'll have seen where they have bunked up in trees, or at least slightly off the ground. Les Stroud (Survivorman) has done this in the rainforest to keep off the forest floor where snakes and insects would eat him alive. I have not caught the Alone In The Wild show. Will have to check that out. Bear Grylls (Man v. Wild) is certainly entertaining, but his antics are stupid. No way would any survivalist suggest that you pull the stunts he pulls. Drinking your own piss, jumping from rocks, running as fast as he does, and just taking risks in general, is a really good way to get yourself injured or worse and in that kind of seclusion you might as well just shoot yourself in the face if you break a leg or something. You're a goner. I like Survivorman much more. Les Stroud is also doing a show on the Cartoon Network where he gets kids out in survival situations. Pretty cool show too if you want to check it out. It's called Survive This and is pretty entertaining as well.

Oh, you could always sleeping one of these sleeping bags. They might be more attracted to you, but I'd bet it'd be the nice kind.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:10 pm

I read in Field and Stream that the best way to avoid a bear attack is to kidnap a bear cub and keep it in your tent, like a hostage. The momma bear won't dare attack out of fear of you injuring her baby.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:55 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I read in Field and Stream that the best way to avoid a bear attack is to kidnap a bear cub and keep it in your tent, like a hostage. The momma bear won't dare attack out of fear of you injuring her baby.

Yeah, I've read that too. Good advice. Good to roll around in jelly first to make sure she knows you mean business too. Make sure the cub makes a lot of noise so she knows you're serious.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:10 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:I read in Field and Stream that the best way to avoid a bear attack is to kidnap a bear cub and keep it in your tent, like a hostage. The momma bear won't dare attack out of fear of you injuring her baby.

Yeah, I've read that too. Good advice. Good to roll around in jelly first to make sure she knows you mean business too. Make sure the cub makes a lot of noise so she knows you're serious.

I like to roll around in honey, it makes the bear think there are bees around, and bears don't like being stung by bees.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:46 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

I like to roll around in honey, it makes the bear think there are bees around, and bears don't like being stung by bees.

I should also note that if you are ever face to face with a Grizzly to simply turn tail and run. A human is a lot faster than a bear after all and it's best if you flail your arms around while running to let the bear know you're super athletic.

On a serious note, did you know the importance of differentiating grizzlies from black bears? They totally different when it comes to getting them to leave you alone if you're ever faced with one. With a grizzly, you play dead. Opposite with a black bear as they will investigate and end up mauling you because you're an easy meal. A black bear you make yourself look as large as possible to scare them off. Now, this is only if you are alone. If you are in a group of people, stay together and make yourselves large and intimidating and the bear should leave you alone. Bears, like an predator, are opportunists and will take the easy meal over the difficult one every time.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:50 pm

or just always bring someone on your camping/hiking trips who has a gimpy leg.

I've read so many different things on what to do with which type of bear, what bears will climb a tree after you and which won't, etc., that I just hope I never encounter a bear in the wild. My natural defense would be to hope that the bear slips on the pile of $#!@ I leave behind.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to General Talk