Scoring of Penny/Brown fumble - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Scoring of Penny/Brown fumble

Moderator: Football Moderators

Scoring of Penny/Brown fumble

Postby bungle613 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:17 pm

OK, this was just brought ot my attemtion in a league I commish.

Yahoo is scoring the fumble and recovery for San Diego D/ST and Flea is not. So, who is right?

The way I see it, it might be Flea.

The fumble was not caused by San Diego and was nto really recovered by San Diego. Penny was charged with a fumble and a lost fumble but no one on San Diego was given credit for the strip or a recovery.

So... who knows who is right?
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Scoring of Penny/Brown fumble

Postby 2ksports » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:12 pm

Technically it's called a touchback. When you punt and get a touchback, it should be recorded same as a fumble and a touchback. Flea is correct.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Scoring of Penny/Brown fumble

Postby jason_boris » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:11 pm

THIS WAS MY EMAIL I SENT TO YAHOO!

Hello. I have a huge scoring question as it relates to one of yesterday's games, as the result will determine a win or a loss.

In the Miami/San Diego game yesterday, Chad Pennington fumbled the ball at the 1-yard line and the ball rolled into the San Diego end zone and out of the endzone for a TOUCHBACK with no player in possession of the ball. When I checked your scoring statistics this morning, you had the San Diego defense credited with a "fumble recovery" for 2 points on this particulat play.

I do not believe this to be correct for many reasons.

If you go to the actual box score on yahoo.com or on the official NFL.com Gamebook, there is not one San Diego player creditted with a "FUMBLE RECOVERY". How can you award a fumble recovery in fantasy scoring when the official gamebook doesn't acknowledge it???

Yes, Penningtown fumbled the ball and lost possession of the ball, but the result of the play was a "touchback," NOT a "fumble recovery". By rule, a touchback is a change of possession, NOT a "turnover". And accoring to fantasy football scoring, a team defense does NOT get 2 points for a touchback. In this instance, a "loose live ball" (i.e. fumble) out of the endzone is the same by definition as a "loose live ball" (i.e. scrimmage kick or free kick) out of the end zone. All result as touchbacks, and all result in a change of possession, but none are considered "turnovers" or "recoveries".

Please look into the matter, but I feel a "stat correction" should be forthcoming, and the San Diego defense should have 13 points (instead of the 15 points that they're being shown for).

Thank you for your time and consideration on this matter and I look forward to hearing back from.
jason_boris
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk