Work took my cafe away :( - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Work took my cafe away :(

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Work took my cafe away :(

Postby houstonherdfan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:14 am

The good thing with my work place is my IT guy is in 1 FF league with me and we both play in a college betting pool. so if they were to boot me from the cafe at work I could get it back.

do some gambling with your IT guy. even if you lose would be a win win situation.

I really love my job and the owners of the company.The last job I had in my life that was as good to the employees as the one where I am now was my high school job 30 years ago. The company is hitting some hard times now as the 4th Q of the year is the slowest time of the year and as bad as things have been in the last year or so the first cut we have had to make will be tomorrow. 4-5 guys will be laid off. If I happen to be one of them, I will work a few plant outageges and go back to work in a couple months. The one thing that keeps me as not the first manager to go it that all the other managers have had to spread my job out and do it. If you are not mentally set up to be the safety guy it is really hard to do and be effective and I am a one man show for 130 employees in 4 locations.

The funniest thing about my place of work btwn my boss and I is he jokes about letting me go, and when he does that, I respond with "well OSHA is hiring, i'll see you next week". I get a little stressed when he does that as I know I am good as my job, but I also know one of the first places companies cut in hard times is the safety dept.

I actually would hate to go to work for Persedent Obama, but if thats what I had to do I would.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joejlitz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:42 am

joejlitz wrote:So I went to log into the cafe at lunch and eat at my desk like I do every day and I got rerouted to a screen that said the cafe was now "content filtered" for "games" and I can't log in at work anymore. This is one of the most depressing things to happen in a while. I tried to tell a coworker about my sadness but he gave me that "fantasy football? you're 36 years old, dude" look and quickly changed the topic.

Today is a horrible day. I don't want to go back. :~(

Maybe I should look for another job. IDK. :,-(

When I first wrote this, I worked in another building. I have since moved to where the IT guys are. Two days ago, I emailed them and told them that I would like to have access from 12:00 to 1:00 and before/after the work day since I was a moderator and doing "community service" and "volunteer work." Yesterday, I was able to look at the Cafe again! The guy said it wasn't blocked anymore, but not because of my request. I don't know what happened, but I hope it stays that way!
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:48 am

I forgot to send the IT guy his monthly bribe.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby dream_017 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:11 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I forgot to send the IT guy his monthly bribe.

Looks like we have to draw straws to see who bans him
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:55 pm

ban is such a negative word... perhaps we should start referring to it as 'making their account read-only.'

;-D
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:35 am

The internet filter Nazis are back again and I can't access the Cafe. So pissed. I emailed an IT guy again and asked to be allowed access because I do "volunteer work" as a mod and he says, "Volunteer work? On Army time?" I got dissed by an IT geek. :-t !+)
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby moonhead » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:52 am

joejlitz wrote:The internet filter Nazis are back again and I can't access the Cafe. So pissed. I emailed an IT guy again and asked to be allowed access because I do "volunteer work" as a mod and he says, "Volunteer work? On Army time?" I got dissed by an IT geek. :-t !+)

have you tried using google translate?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:04 pm

joejlitz wrote:The internet filter Nazis are back again and I can't access the Cafe. So pissed. I emailed an IT guy again and asked to be allowed access because I do "volunteer work" as a mod and he says, "Volunteer work? On Army time?" I got dissed by an IT geek. :-t !+)

Guess it's time to show him how to get throttled by GI Joe. ;-7
2008 Killer Crossover League Champion
2009 Killer Crossover League Champion
RedHopeful
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Basketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby knapplc » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:57 am

Work finally implemented web filter tools. After years of not caring, they've gotten up with the times. I can't get onto the Dark Side anymore, but for some reason the Light Side works - most likely just for now. I can't get on to about five sites that I used to check on a daily basis now. I understand their point in that you are at work to WORK, but when you get all your work done and have some down time, why not allow some perks? Lord knows they don't pay us anything. Lord knows we get no other perks.

Eh. Whatever. It's their computer, their network, their time. I guess I won't complain too much - I still have a job.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:09 am

I remember my very first 'real' job... not only could we surf pron at work, the head of IT (the IT guy, there was just the one dude) had a secret spot where he would pull pron from usenet so we woudln't have to wait for the slow download speeds. My boss literally taught me how to download, decode, and view the content. This is the same boss who would have our quarterly departmental meeting at PT's Showclub. ;-D

Get a smart phone. You won't regret it. I can still access the Cafe at work, but I do almost all web surfing on my phone just to minimize the tracks I'm leaving behind.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk