Work took my cafe away :( - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Work took my cafe away :(

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Work took my cafe away :(

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:04 am

knapplc wrote:I can't get onto the Dark Side anymore, but for some reason the Light Side works - most likely just for now.

When I first was out of college and working for the state, this was the state of my network, as well. I thought it was a cruel joke at the time. :-b

Talk to your IT guy and see if he'll hook you up.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:23 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
knapplc wrote:I can't get onto the Dark Side anymore, but for some reason the Light Side works - most likely just for now.

When I first was out of college and working for the state, this was the state of my network, as well. I thought it was a cruel joke at the time. :-b

Talk to your IT guy and see if he'll hook you up.

Be careful though, because he also might realize his mistake that is allowing you to get onto the light side.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:02 am

Well, bugger. I submitted a request to have the Dark Side and another forum unblocked, but no such luck. They have them classified as "games" and I asked them to reevaluate because clearly they're not games, but the request came back - they're games. No dice.

It's the senseless stupidity of it that irks me the most. Why eliminate some forums but not all, and give no explanation why? It's not like they give us much in the way of pay, there are NO perks, and frankly, the insurance we used to get that used to be so good really isn't that good anymore.

It's probably time to start looking for another job. :-[
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:16 pm

For the life of me, I can't understand why employers still care about filtering non-work related sites. Yes, monitoring is important but it's also unreasonable to think an employee is productive virtually all the time at work. Work ebbs and flows, and there will be days where you're busier or not so busy as others. A little daily distraction like the Cafe is not a bad thing. It's like taking a couple of short coffee breaks in the day, so why treat visiting non-work related sites any differently?

I suppose it depends on the workplace and I guess I'm just used to a laissez-faire kind of workplace.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:44 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote: I suppose it depends on the workplace and I guess I'm just used to a laissez-faire kind of workplace.

I thought you were in England, not France. :-?

;-)
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:14 pm

joejlitz wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote: I suppose it depends on the workplace and I guess I'm just used to a laissez-faire kind of workplace.

I thought you were in England, not France. :-?

;-)

I'm closer than you think. :-b

I've actually lived in France for a year (Grenoble specifically) and loved it there.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:12 am

There are a ton of articles on lost production from FF.

http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-money ... ball/1230/

I have seen estimates as high as 100 million playing FF and almost 10 hours a week spent on FF. I am filtered at work as well but I got the Cafe deemed as sports instead of social networking and gotit back. FF is bad enough for some of us to try and manage in a timely manner, some of these facebook twits spend 30+ hours a week looking at stuff.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:57 am

bungle613 wrote:There are a ton of articles on lost production from FF.

I have seen estimates as high as 100 million playing FF and almost 10 hours a week spent on FF. I am filtered at work as well but I got the Cafe deemed as sports instead of social networking and gotit back. FF is bad enough for some of us to try and manage in a timely manner, some of these facebook twits spend 30+ hours a week looking at stuff.

i always write those studies off as bunk because it assumes people would be otherwise productive during those times, when in reality they're probably gabbing to co-workers or emailing friends, etc
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:38 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
bungle613 wrote:There are a ton of articles on lost production from FF.

i always write those studies off as bunk because it assumes people would be otherwise productive during those times, when in reality they're probably gabbing to co-workers or emailing friends, etc

I can see that but I like to multi task and gab and look at FF.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby knapplc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:01 pm

I'm a big-time multitasker. I have four tabs on my browser open right now, and usually it's a few more. I have work research, news, radio, the Cafe and usually some other sites up like weather, etc. I also have spreadsheets, databases, forms & documents and inter-office messenger windows open. I can handle this and still stay ahead of the game on my goals and expectations, which is why it's a real bummer that they've taken away my access to the Dark Side. I get that there are people in my agency who cannot do this and who let work slide to play online, but it still stinks. Corporal punishment is a drag.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk