Willie Parker - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Willie Parker

Moderator: Football Moderators

Willie Parker

Postby GameDay_Zombies » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:29 pm

Rashard Mendenhall

Sunday September 06News: The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review is reporting that Steelers' running back Rashard Mendenhall isn't going to take carries away from Willie Parker this season. Park...
News: The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review is reporting that Steelers' running back Rashard Mendenhall isn't going to take carries away from Willie Parker this season. Parker is going to be the team's featured back as long as he stays healthy.
Impact: While many teams are employing the two-back system, the Steelers have no plans to take carries away from Parker. All is not lost for Mendenhall, however, as Parker has had trouble staying healthy in recent years. He is probably not worth drafting in most leagues, but if Parker goes down you should jump on Mendenhall ASAP. (Fanball | 9:52A)

Willie Parker

Rotoworld - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review - Coach Mike Tomlin says the Steelers will not use a rotation in the backfield this season and that Willie Parker remains the club's feature back.

"Willie Parker is our runner," Tomlin said. It's hard to blame him, considering how unimpressive Rashard Mendenhall was in exhibition games. Still, Parker remains hobbled by a hamstring injury and was healthy enough to carry the ball just four times this preseason. His tendency to get nicked up and miss games will likely force Mendenhall into action at some point.

I drafted Mendenhall Late in my 12 team keeper league. Should I now replace him on my roster or count on an injury? Can post more info if needed.
GameDay_Zombies
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rashard Mendenhall / Willie Parker

Postby recmccl » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:43 pm

I'm in a 10 team league and have him as my 3rd & 4th RB on 3 teams. People were leary to draft Fast Willie. He has much upside, but is so injury prone. I'd count on Mendenhall getting in a few games anytime during the Bye weeks.
recmccl
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby coleman1027 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:49 pm

I swept up Mendenhall late as a 5th RB.......gonna hold on to him....figuring FWP is almost done and is likely to go down, he can't carry that load by himself........if I need someone for a bye later on.....I'll dump him.......
coleman1027
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby recmccl » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:13 am

coleman1027 wrote:I swept up Mendenhall late as a 5th RB.......gonna hold on to him....figuring FWP is almost done and is likely to go down, he can't carry that load by himself........if I need someone for a bye later on.....I'll dump him.......

That sounds wise. I read on CBSSportsline last night Parker and Mendenhall may be splitting carries, but Parker will be the featured back. So either RBC or injury Mendenhall should get some carries.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12167222
recmccl
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Willie Parker not playing well

Postby 2ksports » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:13 pm

After watching Thursday night's opener, two NFL scouts told Yahoo Sports that they believe Willie Parker is on the "steep downside" of his career.
"Pretty obvious. He dances too much, no burst, doesn’t even read the holes very well," one scout said. "I know what Tomlin’s trying to do, he’s supporting (Parker) all the way," noted the other scout. "But he’s going to have to make a switch at some point." Parker generated just 25 yards on 14 touches and was yanked in favor of Mewelde Moore down the game's stretch.

-rotoworld
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Re: Willie Parker not playing well

Postby DanielAbdel » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:46 pm

It looks like hes lost several steps but after watching that game, I would have to put partial blame on his line. Every time the ball reached his hands there was always at least one TEN player who had breached the line. He didn't get any holes to work with. TEN doesn't seem to have missed a beat with the loss of Hanesworth. Against weaker denfenses I think Willie will play more like a NO.2/FLEX this year and less like a 25 yards on 14 carries type of back. Can't judge whether or not the dudes career is over after ONE game...come on now
DanielAbdel
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby baseketball4life » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:54 am

I still like Parker this year, but only in the right matchups... that o line is terrilbe... 2-3 tenn players in the backfield at the SNAP on running plays... i do blame Parker a bit, a couple of times he coulda taken 3 yard gains instead was looking for the home run cut and lost a couple.

Either way, I think you need to wait till week 3,4,5,6 to evaluate Parker. Pitt has a easy schedule this year too after the bears...

week 3 v. Cinci

week 4 v. SD ( parker went over 100 on them twice last yr)

week 5. detroit lions

week 6. cleveland (parker over 100 last yr)

he is a good buy low and will produce RB2 in the right matchups... leave on bench against tough teams.
[url=http://i22.photobucket.com/]Image[/url]
baseketball4life
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 2ksports » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:35 am

baseketball4life wrote:I still like Parker this year, but only in the right matchups... that o line is terrilbe... 2-3 tenn players in the backfield at the SNAP on running plays... i do blame Parker a bit, a couple of times he coulda taken 3 yard gains instead was looking for the home run cut and lost a couple.

Either way, I think you need to wait till week 3,4,5,6 to evaluate Parker. Pitt has a easy schedule this year too after the bears...

week 3 v. Cinci

week 4 v. SD ( parker went over 100 on them twice last yr)

week 5. detroit lions

week 6. cleveland (parker over 100 last yr)

he is a good buy low and will produce RB2 in the right matchups... leave on bench against tough teams.

Good observation.

See this:

Nov 9 @ DEN
10 Nov 15 CIN
11 Nov 22 @ KAN
12 Nov 29 @ BAL
13 Dec 6 OAK
14 Dec 10 @ CLE

After the bye week, holy cow.

Barring injury, we could be looking at a guy that could be bought for peanuts that can carry your team through the bye weeks and into the playofs.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby swyck » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:15 am

"But he’s going to have to make a switch at some point."

Who would be the switch, Moore? In a ppr league maybe he has most value. Mendenhall didn't look good either, running right into Roth on his first carry.

That Pitt line does look pretty bad doesn't it? Yet, it was bad last year and they still won it all, and they managed to win this game.
swyck
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DanielAbdel » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Yeah there really isn't a solid back up to Parker anyway. I'm actually really debating buying low on Parker after seeing that schedule. I love how players can be become undervalued/overvalued after the first week. There should be a buy low/sell high thread..
DanielAbdel
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk