Willie Parker - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Willie Parker

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Willie Parker

Postby joejlitz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:03 am

October 9, 2009
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Steelers' running back Willie Parker missed practice again on Friday and will not play in this week's game against the Lions. Rashard Mendenhall will make his second consecutive start in place of Parker.

Rototimes
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Willie Parker OUT for Week 5

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:38 am

Rashard is a amazing keeper...
DaSh 1s
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JavaDude » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:46 pm

Beat writer Ed Bouchette believes that there's been a "changing of the guard" in the Steelers' backfield.

Rashard Mendenhall has earned the lead back job. Bouchette projects him and Willie Parker to see a "2-1" carry split if Parker (turf toe) can return. Despite coach Mike Tomlin's optimism, the player once known as "Fast Willie" is no sure bet to play this week. Injuries like his are highly subject to aggravation. Consider Mendenhall a fantasy starter the rest of the way.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
JavaDude
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby moochman » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:48 pm

Which brings to question: Is Fractured Willie Parker cuttable?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:04 pm

moochman wrote:Which brings to question: Is Fractured Willie Parker cuttable?

I've been wondering the same thing and hoping to hear something along the lines of Mendenhall becoming the starter. I don't think I'll have any trouble dropping parker. I got him off the WW a couple weeks back when ssomeone gave up on him, so he didn't cost me anything really. Now I can drop him without second guessing. I need the spot badly this week, too.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Flyn high again » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:08 am

Parker is going to try to play on his injured foot. IMHO, he knows as well as we do that Mendenhall is "booting" him out of his starting job. This week will be critical to watch to see how he can cut and if his toe stands up to a game. He says a "fiber insert" in a special set of shoes should help him stay healthy. I say if he still needs special shoes, he still has turf toe and my money is on him aggravating the injury or, at best, not playing very well.

From Theredzone:

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports Willie Parker will wear a special left shoe that Nike had made for him to protect his turf toe injury as he practices this week and returns to play Sunday.

Parker, who missed the past two games, and Troy Polamalu, who has not played since the MCL in his left knee was sprained in the opener, went through their first full practices yesterday.

Nike had a pair of the shoes made for Parker so they will match.

"You don't want to feel awkward or off balance," Parker explained. "It's better than a steel plate. It's some type of fiber plate, better than straight steel. I think the steel aggravated it."

The Steelers outfitted Parker's shoe with a steel plate, he said, when the injury occurred Sept. 27 in Cincinnati. He played the rest of the game with it.

Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SameSongNDance » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:56 am

Yeah I think it's safe to drop Parker. I'll probably wait on this next matchup but by the time he's 100%, if he ever reaches it, he won't be much of a factor anymore.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:25 pm

From what I've seen of these turf toe injuries, they take a month or more to completely heal, and that is if you stay off of it. That seems unlikely, so FWP will likely be dealing with this all year. It is really a matter of how much pain he can deal with, and whether he can still make cuts, accelerate, etc. I have him in one of my leagues, and I'm not going to make any decisions about whether to cut him until I see how handles playing on it.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Montana168 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:02 pm

Accessed from Yahoo! Sports:

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall(notes) has missed practice with flu-like symptoms, allowing Willie Parker(notes) to get more carries with the starters as he returns from a two-week layoff with a toe injury.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians says whether Mendenhall or Parker will get the majority of the carries Sunday against Cleveland likely won’t be decided until game time.

Mendenhall, a first-round draft pick last year, ran for 165 yards against San Diego and 77 against Detroit after Parker injured his left big toe Sept. 27 against Cincinnati. The Steelers are hopeful Mendenhall can practice Friday.

interesting...

there aren't any reports to the severity of mendenhall's injury so its highly speculative to guess his availability for sunday's game. i'm sure the steelers are just being very cautious and mendenhall owners shouldnt be too worried. if he doesnt practice tomorrow obviously its a different story. steelers will be running alot against a horrible browns run D, so it will be interesting to see how the workload is split between parker and mendenhall, if their both a go on sunday, and whether or not mewelde moore will factor in.
Montana168
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cardphan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:50 am

So do you guys think its safe to start Parker over Mendenhall this week? I have them both..

Man I wish Parker would just 'go away', if you know what I mean.
Cardphan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk