Maddox update - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Maddox update

Moderator: Football Moderators

Maddox update

Postby thechill » Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:00 pm

Maddox walking, has no structural damage

NFL.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH (Nov. 18, 2002) -- Quarterback Tommy Maddox has no structural damage in his injured spine and was walking in his hospital room in Tennessee, but the Steelers weren't ready to say when he can play again.

"We're quite happy with his progress," team doctor Anthony Yates said at a news conference.

Maddox was hurt on the final play of the third quarter of the Steelers' 31-23 loss at the Tennessee Titans and spent the night in the hospital with a concussion.

He was expected to return to Pittsburgh and be hospitalized in the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center for further tests. But all indications were that his injury is not career-threatening.

Maddox underwent X-rays, a CT scan and MRI exams and no structural damage was detected, Yates said. Maddox was initially diagnosed with a spinal cord contusion -- a bruising and swelling that includes hemorrhaging -- but instead he has an interruption in the normal electrical activity in the spine.

For at least the next several weeks and perhaps longer, former starter Kordell Stewart, whom Maddox replaced during the third game of the season, will be the quarterback. The Steelers (5-4-1) will be at home Nov. 24 against Cincinnati (1-9).

At least 15 minutes passed at The Coliseum while Maddox was turned onto his back and strapped to a backboard after trainers cut off his face mask. Players for both teams knelt and prayed.

Maddox was unconscious for about five minutes but never stopped breathing.

Maddox was hurt while flipping the ball to Antwaan Randle El for a 2-yard gain. As Maddox fell forward, Titans linebacker Keith Bulluck put his forearm into Maddox's shoulder. Maddox's head rolled underneath him slightly as he hit the ground, and he did not move.

Maddox has enjoyed a storybook season, rising from third on the depth chart to replace and lead the Steelers to a 5-2-1 record in games in which he played.

Before this season, he hadn't started an NFL game in 10 years and spent three years out of football before reviving his career in the Arena League and, later, the XFL.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service
thechill
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:19 pm

Yeah I had read that,glad to see it's not as serious as it could have been.I'm hoping to see him playing again soon but it's his overall health that's a concern.Then we can talk about his ability to play football again,maybe Kordell will have us back on track by then.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby fntsyrookie » Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:20 pm

I think I speak for every true football fan when I say that no one wants to see anyone get hurt. I'm glad that he seems to be o.k. Here's to a speedy recovery for Mr. Maddox. ;-D
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DUKE » Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:28 pm

I hope Tommy's ok . It looked pretty scary when I was watching the game. It's been a helluva story for him this year, and you'd hate to see an ugly chapter like this tarnish it. Does anyone think Kordell can keep them going while he's out? He suprised me yesterday in the time he was playing.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Arlo » Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:28 pm

Good news indeed, considering the circumstances. Let's hope this is the beginning of a quick recovery!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matthew » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:00 pm

My realistic update for Maddox this year. This is my opinion only and only my opinion (no facts to this). Assuming Maddox is out for at least three weeks for observation, my Steelers are going to go in one of two directions:
1) Kordell succeeds over the next three weeks; if he does, the Steelers are in the hunt for a playoff spot. I then can't see them going back to Maddox if Kordell is running the offense correctly. I just can't see them taking a hot QB out that close to the playoffs (let's see how the Bulger/Warner thing plays out).
or 2) Kordell sucks it up big time; if he does, the Steelers are probably out of the playoff race in the bunched up AFC. If they are out of the race, I can't see them putting Maddox back in to get knocked around some more.
Just my opinion... but I'll bet good money that I'll see Kordell quarterback us against Baltimore in the last game of the season.
matthew
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Guttpuppy » Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:13 pm

Whatever it takes matthew.Let's hope Tommy gets back on the field when we need him & wish Kordell the best of luck while he's in there.Hell,Charlie Batch can start as long as we win.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Kordell in playoffs

Postby Ineedhelp » Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:08 pm

Gawd I hope not. Even if he is doing good, look at last year when Amos was carrying the load into the AFC Championship, then they put Jerome in after being out for so long, to start. Once NE realized we couldnt do squat on the ground with Jerome in there and that our coaches committed to him (because he is big money player and its a big money game is the only reason you ask me), they crushed us. I think they will make the same mistake again, either way, I still stick with my Steelers, thick and thin. Shoot I survived the 80's, I am happy that we are a, at the very least, semi-feared team again.
Ineedhelp
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Football Talk