Steve Smith - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steve Smith

Moderator: Football Moderators

Steve Smith

Postby da bears » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:24 pm

What are people's thoughts on his value for the rest of the season? I am speaking of the Giants Steve Smith. I'm trying to think that he falls off at some point but he's a solid WR that seems to be getting looks weekly. Is it crazy to think with both Eli and Smith progressing that he can post a very solid 1300-10? Right now he's on pace for a ridiculous 136-1644-16 right now.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Steve Smith

Postby iamgregg » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:46 pm

I expect his stats to fall off somewhat from "elite" numbers, but the fact remains, he's consistently running great routes, getting open and catches most that comes his way. Not to mention the unwaivering trust Eli has in him. I fully expect him to continue to be a strong starter, especially in PPR.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby u_fig_eater » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:05 pm

My feeling is that he will be a WR2 / WR3 type of guy. He's got a lot of good players around him. The Giants are well balanced offensively, and Eli has developed into an elite QB. He's also the clear #1 target in their passing game, so I think he's pretty solid.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby silverZ » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:31 pm

I think of him as a poor mans Reggie Wayne. Great routes, great hands, good speed, a Manning throwing to him. He could very well end the year with numbers similar to Wayne.
circa 2005
silverZ
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:39 pm

silverZ wrote:I think of him as a poor mans Reggie Wayne. Great routes, great hands, good speed, a Manning throwing to him. He could very well end the year with numbers similar to Wayne.

I look at him as a poor man's Wes Welker. Giant Steve Smith should be a valuable contributor for his teams.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby SameSongNDance » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:09 pm

Reggie Wayne and Steve Smith are incomparable. He falls off as soon as next week IMO. With Eli hurting and the re-emergence of Hicks, I'd say his value has peaked and he is a great sell high candidate. If you are strong at WR that is.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby da bears » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:31 pm

SameSongNDance wrote:Reggie Wayne and Steve Smith are incomparable. He falls off as soon as next week IMO. With Eli hurting and the re-emergence of Hicks, I'd say his value has peaked and he is a great sell high candidate. If you are strong at WR that is.

See I'm starting to think this is the perfect sell high time as well. I think trying to move him and another piece to try to land a Fitz, Moss, or Andre is possible if you have something else that owner may need. It's just very tough to sell someone that has produced the way that he has to this point.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 14)

Postby iamgregg » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:05 pm

SameSongNDance wrote:Reggie Wayne and Steve Smith are incomparable. He falls off as soon as next week IMO. With Eli hurting and the re-emergence of Hicks, I'd say his value has peaked and he is a great sell high candidate. If you are strong at WR that is.

If someone has to make room for Nicks it will be Manningham. I don't see them reducing Smith's snaps by putting him in a rotation with Nicks, and as long as he's on the field, he'll be getting open.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sex Panther » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:27 pm

I would have a very hard time selling this guy - 34 catches through 3 games is 34 catches.

He is far and away the clear cut number 1 on that offense, he is Eli's clear cut go-to guy - 51 targets on the year (Eli has attempted 125 passes - that's a whopping 41% to Smith).

He's also got that USC pedigree, was a high draft pick (2nd round), and is in his "magical" 3rd year.

Outside of his older brother, Eli is playing arguably the best QB in the league - and the Giants look to be the cream of the crop in the NFL.

Now, I don't think he finishes w/ 136 catches, 204 targets, 1644 yards, and 16 touchdowns.

But, I wouldn't be suprised if he grabs 90+ balls good for 1200+ yards and 10+ scores. That translates (at that floor of 90/1200/10) to 56 catches, 789 yards, and 6 scores in his remaining 12 games - all certainly very attainable, he would have to average from here on out, again - very attainable as a teams primary WR1 - 4.7 catches, 66 yards, and .5 scores from here on out.

So far this year -

Week 1 - 6/80/0
Week 2 - 10/134/1
Week 3 - 7/63/1
Week 4 - 11/134/2

In non PPR, his worst day scoring in 2009 is 8.0 (14.0 in PPR). 2 games (out of 4) of 10 or more receptions. 2 games of 130+ yards. Those are WR1 elite numbers - and they're consistent.

The only way I'm selling is if I get stud talent in return (and I have a legit, strong WR corps). There is no way I trade Smith for another WR, IMO If you have name value at WR rostered w/ Smith, I'd try and sell the name brand & take my chances on a young stud.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Azrael » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:20 pm

I wouldn't trade him. I'd start him every week. He's produced atleast 8 fantasy points in each game. The only thing that might be a bother is Eli and how he will play with his injured foot. And frankly, guys you are trying to trade him to will be thinking the same thing "this guy is only trying to unload Smith because Eli is hurt".
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Football Talk