Eli Manning - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Eli Manning

Moderator: Football Moderators

Eli Manning

Postby nola_saint » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:16 am

Could not find a thread for him so...........Looks fairly minor, just a pain tolerance issue. Maybe they go more to the running game now? I got Smith and ManHam so I hope not.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-giants-manning&prov=ap&type=lgns
nola_saint
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Eli Manning

Postby FatFoot » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:28 pm

This is a very significant condition that is hard to play through at times. It MAY not be a big deal to a QB who isn't a bigtime scrambler, so it's kind of a matter of wait and see. But this isn't like shin splints or a bruised foot or something.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Flyn high again » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:37 pm

Plantar Fasciitis is a condition caused by swelling of the tendon that runs under the bottom of the foot. I have had it on both feet so know a little about the pain, cause and cure. You usually get PF by being on your feet for long periods, wearing less than correct footgear or walking/running on hard surfaces for long periods. The pain varies. In my case, there were times, especially getting up in the morning where it was impossible to put ANY weight on the affected foot. After limping around for a few minutes and stretching the foot, the pain diminishes to more tolerable levels. You can walk but not well. The treatment involves either cortizone injections or non-steroidal creme applications, stretching the tendon and getting shoe inserts that are made from molds of the bottom of the foot. The inserts provide arch support and help alleviate the problem. If I had needed to run for several hours, I bet I could have if I was shot up with painkillers. This injury is more pain than damage. Once you get the tendon stretched and lower the inflammation, the pain lessens and eventually goes away. I bet the Jets' doctors and therapists are working non-stop with Eli to decrease the swelling and get him ready for either this Sunday or, worst case scenario, for Buffalo the week after that.

Edit. I forgot to mention that other methods such as icing the area also help. Basically anything that reduces swelling.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CRob44 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:30 pm

i need to know if it will be a game time decision or if i will know by early sat morning. I just don't think they need him this week
CRob44
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby Flyn high again » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:35 pm

CRob44 wrote:i need to know if it will be a game time decision or if i will know by early sat morning. I just don't think they need him this week

Manning didn't practice again today. I'd watch Friday's practice and then decide. If he misses it, it may mean N.Y. is going to rest him for a week.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:59 pm

I agree with Flyn, but for some reason that doesn't sound like what Eli has.

I had this same injury my senior year of highschool football. I was a down lineman and my LB rolled up on the back of my legs buckling them, but my cleats stuck in the ground thus all of his weight came down on my foot. It fell, no lies, like I had broke my foot. To get a picture of this take your hand and put your finger tips down on the table and try to bend your fingers backward by pushing down on your finger tips and pushing your elbow forward at the same time.

When I went to the doctor he explained it as its as close to breaking a bone as you can get without breaking or cracking it. Essentially what happens is the muscle on the underneath side of your foot 'stretches out', thus pulling away from the bone. When the muscle contracts it irritates the soft tissue that is a cushion between the muscle and the bone, and thus every time that muscle is stretched or contracted (anytime you walk, run, push off of it, basically anything) it irritates it again. Thats why when you watch the play that Eli injured it, if you watch he goes to push off his back throwing foot (his right foot) but can't and just kind of gives out on it. The doctor gave me 3 options, 1. a Cortisone shot (which I declined because all Cortisone does is masks the pain but creates future damage), 2. Be put in a 'moon boot' (walking boot) and be sidelined for 3-6 weeks at least, or 3. take pain relievers and play through it. It was my senior year so I chose #3, but no matter what pain killers you take its HORRENDOUS pain every time you try to push off with that toe. If this is a legit Planter Fasciitis its much more serious then what most make it out to be. Usually players that have this injury are down for weeks to heal it up.

Again this sounds like a very minute injury, but instead its a very serious injury in terms of harming the players field time and I would not be at all surprised to see Eli sidelined (again depending on the severity of the injury) for a week-weeks. Its not just as easy as 'reducing the swelling' tho, because its not like a sprained ankle, its much more serious than that. Its basically like taking your finger nail and peeling off your finger back towards you, messing with soft tissue can be much more serious then just inflammation. There are different degrees of PF and depending on what Eli has is what the sit out time will be, if the muscles/tendons were pulled completely from the bone it will take many different shots and pain staking hours of rehab and ALOT of rest to cure it. I, again, am no Doctor, but dealing with this identical injury with great severity I know what he went through.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:31 pm

The good news is if Eli sits Carr gets his 7th chance to show he can do something good. :-b
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:34 pm

Per Rotoworld:

Eli Manning (questionable, foot) took half of the first-team snaps in Giants practice on Friday and will be a game-time decision for Week 5.
Coach Tom Coughlin said Manning looked "fine" in the workout and that he was "absolutely" encouraged with the progress Eli has made. We're betting Eli plays against the Raiders, but that New York focuses on running the football. There's no sense in having Manning drop back too often on his injured foot when the Giants can dominate the trench war all day long. Oct. 9 - 2:30 pm et

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk