How does your league handle "unbalanced roster" trades? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How does your league handle "unbalanced roster" trades?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How does your league handle "unbalanced roster" trades?

Postby tjdoren » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:24 pm

I see a lot of trade discussions for unequal numbers of players. For example, two-for-one, or three-for-two. How does your league handle that for the guy who picked up extra players. Let's say he does a trade that puts him one above the roster limits. Does he have to dump an extra guy before he can make the trade? Or does your website allow him to carry an extra player up until gametime (and he has to drop someone before games start)?

We use CBS Sportsline. Up until now, I've always tried to keep my trades 1-for-1, 2-for-2, etc.
12 Team Re-draft league
Start 1QB, 2 RB, 2 WR 1TE, K, D/ST
1/10 yds Rec/Rush or 20 yds pass; 3/pass TD; 6/rush-rec TD
tjdoren
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: How does your league handle

Postby mattb47 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:34 pm

Don't pretty much all fantasy football host sites like that force you to pick a player to drop when you make an unbalanced trade like that and you'll have too many players?
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:52 pm

mattb47 wrote:Don't pretty much all fantasy football host sites like that force you to pick a player to drop when you make an unbalanced trade like that and you'll have too many players?

i know Yahoo makes you specify a drop...i believe CBS and MFL will process the trade and let you carry an illegal roster, so i assume you could in theory carry extra player(s) until kickoff (pretty sure at kickoff if you have an illegal roster you get a 0)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Goody » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:29 pm

mattb47 wrote:Don't pretty much all fantasy football host sites like that force you to pick a player to drop when you make an unbalanced trade like that and you'll have too many players?

Every site I have ever used, including CBS, is set up like this.....

Maybe the OP has no experience with this since he has always done 1/1 trades.. :-?
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Re: How does your league handle "unbalanced roster" trades?

Postby tjdoren » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:23 pm

I guess my next question is...why even bother with unbalanced trades? Why not throw in the player you would have dropped, and let the other guy decide what to do with them? That's what I do. For example, I might offer "my 2 guys X & Y for your stud Z plus anyone you choose".
12 Team Re-draft league
tjdoren
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Goody » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:01 pm

tjdoren wrote:I guess my next question is...why even bother with unbalanced trades? Why not throw in the player you would have dropped, and let the other guy decide what to do with them? That's what I do. For example, I might offer "my 2 guys X & Y for your stud Z plus anyone you choose".

Since you say why bother, what you are suggesting adds more steps to the process and either way there is the same outcome....

If you are asking him to throw in a player you don't want instead of him just dropping that player, you now have to either drop that player yourself and decide which player you would like to add, or you can just add a player....

If you want that player, of course it makes sense to just include him in the trade. If you are going to drop him anyways, why not cut the process of that player being placed on your team and dropped by you to add another player....either way works, im not sure why this is an issue....:-B
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tjdoren » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:06 am

Goody wrote: If you are asking him to throw in a player you don't want instead of him just dropping that player, you now have to either drop that player yourself and decide which player you would like to add, or you can just add a player....

Well, technically I'm asking him to throw in a player he doesn't want, which occasionally turns out to be a player I actually do want. But I don't want to ask for a specific player as the throw-in, because I don't know which players he likes the least...and I want to give myself the best chance of having him accept the trade (so I can get the main target player(s)).

But in general, I see what you are saying. I am probably making it a little more complicated that it needs to be. Especially when I am the one giving up fewer guys...I might as well choose my own players to drop, instead of throwing them in the package.
12 Team Re-draft league
tjdoren
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby spodog » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:33 pm

No. Not all. MFL allows you to configure this so you can allow teams to go over the roster limit temporarily if you choose.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby footballprincess85 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:55 am

We require the owner to make a drop before the trade can be accepted. That way no one can be over the roster limit at any one time.
footballprincess85
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Commissioner's Corner