White towels destracted Matt Holliday? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

White towels destracted Matt Holliday?

Moderator: Football Moderators

White towels destracted Matt Holliday?

Postby iky » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:11 pm

Now I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I was at the Dodger stadium last night at the greatest game ever. Today on Sport Center I saw one of St. Loius guys blame the sea of white towels for Hollidays "in the gonuds" drop. Actually this years' towels were not even as white as last years in the Philly series. Do you guys think it's a legit reason for such great overall player as Holliday to drop the ball because of waiving towels? Next time I'm bringing my bright white beach towel to the game. }:-)

soty is tha man!
iky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: White towels destracted Matt Holliday?

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:45 pm

iky wrote:Now I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I was at the Dodger stadium last night at the greatest game ever. Today on Sport Center I saw one of St. Loius guys blame the sea of white towels for Hollidays "in the gonuds" drop. Actually this years' towels were not even as white as last years in the Philly series. Do you guys think it's a legit reason for such great overall player as Holliday to drop the ball because of waiving towels? Next time I'm bringing my bright white beach towel to the game. }:-)

It is a very valid reason in my opinion. If you are looking at a towel instead of the ball you are going to drop it for sure. What an idiot.

And the best game ever was about 30 miles away at Angels stadium. I was at game 6 when Spezio hit the homer to take out the Giants.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby FearandLoathinginATL » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:10 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
iky wrote:Now I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I was at the Dodger stadium last night at the greatest game ever. Today on Sport Center I saw one of St. Loius guys blame the sea of white towels for Hollidays "in the gonuds" drop. Actually this years' towels were not even as white as last years in the Philly series. Do you guys think it's a legit reason for such great overall player as Holliday to drop the ball because of waiving towels? Next time I'm bringing my bright white beach towel to the game. }:-)

It is a very valid reason in my opinion. If you are looking at a towel instead of the ball you are going to drop it for sure. What an idiot.

And the best game ever was about 30 miles away at Angels stadium. I was at game 6 when Spezio hit the homer to take out the Giants.

Its a valid reason but a poor excuse... either way he should have caught that ball.
FearandLoathinginATL
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Madison » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:20 am

There's a big debate about the best game of all time over on the Darkside. ;-D

As to Holliday's excuse, I don't buy it. It's not impossible that he lost sight of the ball due in part to the background, but it is not an excuse for losing that game.

And I don't care who wins, I'm a Ranger fan !+) , so there's no bias or anything on my end.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:21 pm

I was at the game and I didn't see too many folks waving their towels. In fact, I'd say the pulse of the stadium was a bit down once Ethier and Manny were retired (and of course, many a Dodger fan knows James Loney only hits well away from the Ravine :-b).

At any rate, I saw a few replays and it seemed Holliday was thrown off by the trajectory of the ball such that he was indecisive as to how he was going to pull it down. Either way, he should have caught it.

As for the greatest game ever, well, far from it. The Cards, especially Ryan Franklin, gifted the game away. The best Dodger game I attended was the Steve Finley walkoff grand slam game that lifted the Dodgers to the NL West pennant over the hated ones. ;-D Best game ever, of course, was Game 1 of the '88 World Series. B-)
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:29 pm

Look out at dead center field in all ball parks. There is something there that provides contrast to a white ball hurled from the pitcher's mound. This is intentional so that batters may properly see the ball while at bat.

I don't think it would be unreasonable for MLB to dictate that rally towels need to be another color besides white.

Holliday's drop is no worse than losing it in the lights. It's unfortunate, but what can you do? No matter of talent can fill in for that. Tough to blame Holliday on that.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby iky » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:34 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:I was at the game and I didn't see too many folks waving their towels. In fact, I'd say the pulse of the stadium was a bit down once Ethier and Manny were retired (and of course, many a Dodger fan knows James Loney only hits well away from the Ravine :-b).

At any rate, I saw a few replays and it seemed Holliday was thrown off by the trajectory of the ball such that he was indecisive as to how he was going to pull it down. Either way, he should have caught it.

As for the greatest game ever, well, far from it. The Cards, especially Ryan Franklin, gifted the game away. The best Dodger game I attended was the Steve Finley walkoff grand slam game that lifted the Dodgers to the NL West pennant over the hated ones. ;-D Best game ever, of course, was Game 1 of the '88 World Series. B-)

I meant to say greatest game I've been to. I've been a fan for only a year, so I couldn't tell ya much about history :)

soty is tha man!
iky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:33 pm

Seems legit to me. I mean, that was the first game ever that fans had white towels to wave.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby urbanbreez » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:45 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I was at the game and I didn't see too many folks waving their towels. In fact, I'd say the pulse of the stadium was a bit down once Ethier and Manny were retired (and of course, many a Dodger fan knows James Loney only hits well away from the Ravine :-b).

What the fudge? Finley's walkoff? Kirk Gibson's walkoff... best game ever.
urbanbreez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Eagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:37 pm

urbanbreez wrote:

What the fudge? Finley's walkoff? Kirk Gibson's walkoff... best game ever.

Apparently, you were also distracted by the sight of white towels waving.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk