Shock's Week 5 Booms, Busts and WW Wonders - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Shock's Week 5 Booms, Busts and WW Wonders

Moderator: Football Moderators

Shock's Week 5 Booms, Busts and WW Wonders

Postby Shock6822 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:05 pm

BOOMS:

David Garrard: Jacksonville really got their passing game going last week, and it propelled them to an easy win. Seattle's pass D isn't that great, so I'd expect solid #s here. Not the 323/3 from last week, but unless MJD takes all the scores (which I'm absolutely fine with), he'll put in a decent line for those who need him to come through in a bye week or people using a QB rotation.

Colts receivers: I won't tell you to start Wayne or Clark, because if you have them, you already are. That said, Garcon and Collie could make serviceable WR3/4's or flex players, simply because as seen last week, the Titans pass D is absolutely putrid right npw, and Peyton Manning is playing better than any QB in the league right now (sorry Brees owners, that's not debatable).

Jerome Harrison: Harrison did serviceable against the Bengals, and this time, goes against a much worse D in the Bills. However, as with some of my picks, this relies on Lewis sitting. If Lewis starts, don't expect 30 touches for Jerome like last week, and his value declines a bit. He'll still get his though, unless Mangini is a TOTAL idiot (which he could be based off the Braylon robbery)

Clinton Portis: That's right, the bum I avoided in all my drafts might have his best week to date. Carolina is coming off a bye, but they're really bad against the run, and Zorn finally fed Portis the ball a decent # of times last week. If Washington can stay in this game, look for another 20+ touches (and then quiver in fear as he breaks down after week 8 again)

Beanie Wells: Houston is a bad run D against pure runners, and Wells is a better pure runner than Hightower. I don't expect Beanie to see anything more than 12 touches depending how the game goes, but if the cards fall in his favor (look at that pun baby.), he could see a serviceable 50-60 yard, 1 score game, and at this point, you're certainly not using him as an RB1 or RB2. All that said, go Hightower, rah rah rah.

Matt Schaub: Arizona has played respectably against the run this year (ask Frank Gore), so Schaub will need to do his thing for Houston to succeed.

Kevin Walter: Along the similar vein of above, Walter SHOULD be matched up against DRC. DRC has played really bad this year, and is prone to gambling too much, especially against bigger WRs like Walter. If he (DRC) keeps it up, Walter will do well.

Ben Roethlisberger/Rashard Mendenhall: They play Detroit. Ben will chuck the ball all over the place the first half, Mendenhall will run the ball all over the place after Pittsburgh is up by 500 since Detroit is likely starting Culpepper. Getcha roll on homeboy.

Nate Burleson: Derek Cox and the Jacksonville CBs have been playing like butt, and Burleson should get better thrown targets with Hasselbeck back. The o-line is totally banged up, but hopefully he'll still get his.

Brandon Jacobs: With Eli Manning likely out, David Carr is the QB. Therefore, if the Giants want to win, they'll stuff Jacobs like a turducken. Look for plenty of carries against a soft Oakland run D.

Fred Jackson: The Bills have to get the run game going if they want to win. As of now, Fred Jackson is their best runner, and Cleveland has given up 8 TDs on the ground in 4 games. You can take it from here Squanto.

Minnesota D: That front 4 against the Rams o-line and either Kyle Boller or Marc Bulger. I'm depressed thinking about this.

Knowshon Moreno: I'm almost scared to do this with Mayo (<3) potentially back, but with that weather and that QB, Denver needs to run it and get screen games going.

Dustin Keller: There are reports Cotchery might not play, and Miami hasn't been able to cover the TE for about 8 decades now. He'll definitely be Sanchez's safety outlet considering in this scenario, Cotchery would be out, Stuckey is gone, and Edwards is a new face.

BUSTS:

Steven Jackson: All Minnesota has to do is stack the box while Allen and the Williams wall terrorizes the passing game. Game over.

Thomas Jones: Every week I've predicted a bust, he's got awful numbers and a random score. THIS STOPS THIS WEEK. I feel like I hate this guy for no reason. Miami has allowed 1 RB score and 240 yards on the ground this year.

Michael Turner: He's coming off a bye, but he's put up pretty stale #s so far this year, and I expect that to continue. San Fran is pretty good on the ground D, and their crutch is allowing opposing RBs to catch the ball, and since Turner can't catch...

Jamarcus Russell: Haha....hahahaha....hahahahahahaha.

Tom Brady: What? Predicting my favorite player, the QB of my favorite team as a bust? The weather in Denver is frigid, and Denver's pass D is playing its head off. I'm not saying he's going to go for 100 and 3 INTs, but I wouldn't be surprised with a low 200s, 1 score type of line.

Steve Smith NYG: I'll assume Nnamdi covers him. If so, I'll also assume he doesn't go for 11 receptions, 134 yards and 2 TDs again. I know, bold. That's how I roll. Oh yeah, and David Carr, lol.

Ted Ginn Jr., of the Ted Ginn family: See above, replace Nnamdi with Revis. Oh, also Chad Henne is the QB against the Jets D with Calvin Pace back. I lol'd.

Donnie Avery: Antoine Winfield is playing his head off. Again, this ties into the whole Minnesota/StLouis/LOL theme. Stay away.

Derrick Ward: Until further notice, keep him on your bench. The coaching staff has officially announced they want to feature Caddy the most.

Joseph Addai: Tennesee's run D has been solid (and that's the only thing that's been solid there), and he's a bit banged up. I'd expect Brown to get the better #s of the 2.

NEW SEGMENT: WAIVER WIRE WONDERS:

Ok, they won't really be wonders, but it's been requested I add a section about potential bye week plugins who normally may not start on a team. You got it.

Randy Mcmichael: For whatever reason, Minnesota is atrocious against tight ends, at least up to this point.

Steve Heiden: See above. Minn is worst against the TE, the Bills are the second worst, and DA completed 5 passes to Heiden last week.

Kevin Curtis: Tampa Bay's pass D is plain bad, Mcnabb has liked Curtis over the years. If Curtis doesn't play for some reason, Maclin or even Avant in super-deep leagues can be considered.

Bryant Johnson: The rapport with Culpepper remains to be seen, but in all likelihood, Detroit will need to throw often in the 2nd half (my poor Kevin Smith), and since Calvin is snagged in every league, the 2nd WR here is worth a look.

Sam Hurd/Miles Austin: I'm not sure who will have the better day, but they make for okay WR3's in deep leagues since Roy Williams is sitting out and KC is bad against the WR.

Visanthe Shiancoe: Minnesota may be done throwing by the 3rd quarter, but in the meantime, he's Favre's 2nd best goal line target behind Rice.

Austin Collie: See way up there for my thoughts on the Colts receivers. Garcon is likely gone in your league, but Collie may not be.

Derek Anderson: Not the ideal situation, but you could do worse I guess. Incidentally, I found Hasselbeck on the wire in one of my money leagues with Cutler on bye for me. Make sure no one has done anything like that, because I'm starting Hass in a pinch despite his o-line.

Dallas/Miami D: They play KC and NYJ, respectively.

Good luck this week.
Last edited by Shock6822 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GO PATRIOTS!
Shock6822
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Shock's Week 5 Booms, Busts and WW Wonders

Postby mattb47 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:26 pm

Miami plays the Jets this week...not Buffalo.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Shock6822 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:30 pm

mattb47 wrote:Miami plays the Jets this week...not Buffalo.

Doh, typo on my part...I'd still start them against NYJ. Thanks for that.
GO PATRIOTS!
Shock6822
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 2ksports » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:00 pm

I'm going to have to site Steve Smith (NYG) this week, totally in agreement there.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby chchelse » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:24 pm

Tom Brady: What? Predicting my favorite player, the QB of my favorite team as a bust? The weather in Denver is frigid, and Denver's pass D is playing its head off. I'm not saying he's going to go for 100 and 3 INTs, but I wouldn't be surprised with a low 200s, 1 score type of line.

I think you should keep in mind that Denver has played Cinn, Dall, Cle and Oak. These teams are ranked 16,19,29 and 32 in QB production so far this year. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Denvers secondary was exposed this weekend.
chchelse
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Guru13 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:35 am

If you're right (and I really hope you are), I'm in for a hell of a week. I'm starting 5 of your booms in one of my leagues, I say 5 because I automatically assumed AD was a boom pretty much every week, especially against the Rams (even though if you've watched them, the rush D hasn't been as much of a weak-point as it has been in recent years).
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk